• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short action magnums in big frame ARs

Randoman5

Minuteman
Jul 29, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I've been looking at George Gardner's success with the 6.5 RSAUM. I was wondering if you could run this cartridge in a large AR upper. Would you need special magazines.

A little bit of googling led me to a AR10 Short magnum, but it has apparently been discontinued.

So I was wondering what it would take to do something like that.

Interesting idea. A lot of the WSSM's have been done in the AR 15 platform. I have one in 25WSSM. I wonder how the WSM's/RSAUM's would run in AR10? Could modify some pmag followers like was done with the AR15's. Bolts would be easier to work with than they were in the AR15. I wouldn't mind having a 270 WSM or neck one down to 6.5.

One of the site sponsers over on Longrangehunting shoots both a .243 wssm and a .300 saum ; I forget who the gunsmith who built them is but they are definitely custom builds. I think the BCG for the .300 saum requires some custom modification in order to cycle.