• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short Action Question

Z_Barton

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2019
Hi everyone, I have a question thats probably a no-brainer for you guys. I'm new to long range shooting and I'm trying to build a Remington 700 in 308 right now, but I think I may want to convert to 6.5 Creedmore down the road. Will I be able to keep by bolt and my receiver and just swap out barrels to change calibers, or will I need to buy a new bolt or receiver?
I guess I'm also wondering if I have a short action receiver if I can use it for any short action cartridges by changing barrels?
Thank you guys!

Look at a few of the custom action makers and they will sometimes have a list of the bolt faces available for the short actions. Basically there's a 223, 6.8SPC/224V, 308 and magnum bolt faces available. Each bolt face could have a variety of chambering available (i.e. 308 bolt face is pretty standard for a short action, and you can run 308, 6.5creedmoor, and a variety of other chambers/calibers off the same bolt. But you can't thread on a 224 Valkyrie barrel with the 308 bolt (well you could but the 224 ammo wouldn't work).

But yes, you (or more than likely - a gunsmith) could rebarrel your 308 to 6.5 CM.

Reactions: Z_Barton
Reactions: Z_Barton