• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short action specifically: 6.5 SAUM, PRC, or SS?

DTF370

Smartest D Student
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2014
Oklahoma
Hey guys,

I just thought I’d check the temperature and get opinions here. I did search some other threads with some success, but haven’t found quite what I’m looking for.

I have a defiance medium ultralight action/ Mag BF. I just picked up a 24” Bartlein 6.5 blank (7.5t). I’m trying to settle on the best cartridge for my setup and needs. My goal is to build a long range hunting setup and I may do some non-PRS comp’s. I don’t believe I would shoot past 1200-1300 yards with this setup. Based on my setup I believe I’m limited to a COAL of 2.950ish. I do hand load and would likely never buy factory ammo.

Three cartridges that come to mind for me are the PRC, SAUM, and Sherman Short. I’m not AS worried about the 100~ fps difference between them, I’m much more worried about feeding and bullet selection.

With the PRC I love the industry support. But it does seem I am realistically stuck with 140gr class of bullets due to COAL restrictions. Maybe that’s not a huge deal? I am just attracted to the high BC of 150g+ pills.

With the SAUM it looks like I MIGHT be able to run 156 EOL’s with certain sacrifice to case capacity (any experience out there?)I do have a set of Redding bushing dies for this cartridge as well as lesser desirable brass. Realistically I would still be purchasing ADG when available. It is a little bit of a Debbie downer that brass isn’t readily available.

The Sherman Short looks like a great option with having a shorter case with longer neck. I picture running longer bullets being much easier due to the case. My concern is potentially needing to push higher pressure to ballistically compete? At $2+ per case I’m not too excited about the idea of getting 2-4 loadings before toasting brass. Also a Debbie downer with brass being incrementally available.

I would greatly appreciate some insight here, especially from first hand experience. Thank you in advance guys.

Last edited:
I would lean towards the 6.5 PRC.
It is a fairly well established, factory supported offering.
There is off the shelf ammo available, if fir some reason, you were separated from your ammo supply, you could buy it off the shelf.
Your running a medium length action, seating bullets out shouldn't really be much of a consideration, you have plenty of room to do it.

Reactions: DTF370
Been running a 6.5 GAP 4S for several years, have built 3 of them. Never gave up anything when running against the PRC. Several custom ammo companys sell ammo. Granted the 156 can get tight, but I normally run loads with the 140s. If your dead set on running the 156 in a PRC get a medium length Defiance action, or build a 6.5 Long Action variant, re: 6.5-280 AI or a 6.5-06, or even a 6.5-300, but you’ll need to be able hand load.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
I would lean towards the 6.5 PRC.
It is a fairly well established, factory supported offering.
There is off the shelf ammo available, if fir some reason, you were separated from your ammo supply, you could buy it off the shelf.
Your running a medium length action, seating bullets out shouldn't really be much of a consideration, you have plenty of room to do it.
Unfortunately, I believe the medium action is still basically a Remington short action not to be confused with the XM or intermediate action. I believe I will be stuck with 300 WSM mags (2.950 coal length)

Unfortunately, I believe the medium action is still basically a Remington short action not to be confused with the XM or intermediate action. I believe I will be stuck with 300 WSM mags (2.950 coal length)
I was refering to their XM length sorry

I have also tricked out a Rem 700 SA with a Baney box, runs 3.10 COAL.

6.5 PRC would be the front runner for me. Brass will be hard to find for all rounds you've listed, but easiest for the PRC. Lapua brass, whatever dies you could possibly want, good selection of load data, etc. I'm running mine in a short action with a wyatts extended box. Even from a BDL it feeds great.

PRC all day it’s best of both worlds top line components Lapua/ADG and factory support so in extremis you can grab some factory ammo and make brass. Plenty of Norma and Nosler on the shelf by me and some H too if you’re that desperate.

100 fps here or there won’t make or break you unless you’re looking for every last % of advantage for competing/shooting at such a high level that it would preclude you from asking this here in the first place.

I say that as someone who shoots a 6.5 and 7 SAUM that has plenty of components. There are plenty of options between 140-156 for the 6.5, though I stuck with old reliable 130 VLD at 3150.

Reactions: NW Valkyrie
It also depends on what bottom metal you're going to use.
If BDL/hinged floor plate, go PRC as the smaller diameter case is supposed to feed better
If DBM, any of the three work.

Lapua has also announced factory 6.5 PRC ammo with the 156 EOL. Looking forward to that getting released - if it shoots well I might just buy a truckload and sell all my reloading stuff...

What is a baney box? Never heard of it.
Found it.
How well does it work?
I’ve build a few off of the Rem 700 SA, mostly 6.5-284s, ur stuck with a BDL feed system mostly n if u get overly excited when shooting u might short stroke it n eject a round but not feed ur next, u just have to practice it a few times to feel the difference. Your other option is just build the 6.5 PRC on a long action. Be curious how Hornady is gonna put out the 7 PRC, here its between the two, 6.5 PRC n 300 PRC, totally diff case not a neck down or up of either. Personally i’d run the 7-300 PRC n accept the overbore, it’ll shoot flat n lights out!