• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Short Barrel 223 Viable?

lts1ow

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2018
I plan on tossing a 223 rifle together as a trainer, but am conflicted on barrel length.

Part of me really wants a handy 16in setup, but I think I will be giving up too much velocity and 20in is prob more viable.

Would be a 1:8 twist, aiming to shoot 77gr stuff.

Thoughts?

I had a 16”” 308 and it was a turd past 600 my 26” 223 did fine to 1000 I cant imagine going much past 600 consistently with a 16-20” 223 with 77 grain.

I have a 1/9 20" on my 223 "trainer" it dies off after 650. Thats with a 75 bthp @ 2800ish

I LOVE my 16” 223:love:

7 twist pushing 75 elds, bangs steel at 1k and its just a pleasure to shoot. Its all about getting the good bc bullet twisted fast enough to carry its momentum way out there and keep stable. My old 9 twist barrel with 69s wasnt worth a damn past 600. This new one is.

Doesnt swing the target all that well but it puts a mark in the paint just like all the rest of them.

D8FA1B6F-A9EB-42E5-8F1E-FE781CCD89AB.jpeg

Last weeks load confirmation for new primers, getting artistic with the group pictures lol
1583529127314.png

Last edited:
Goal would be to try my luck at mammoth with it, so weight is a driving factor.

Sounds like 20in is a solid comprimise and maybe go 1:7 twist. Any input on barrel profile?

20" 8 twist gets my 75gr's over 2900fps. I have no desire to go any longer, but I may go 7 twist for the next barrel.

Just shot Mammoth with a 20” 223 built on a Savage 10 action in MPA chassis. Shot really well . Past 800 yards its hard to spot hits and nearly impossible to hear them, but like it was said before it marks the paint and certainly is capable of hits out to 1000 yards. Mine is a 8 twist and I was using 77 SMKs over Tac in Federal brass. No problems.

I plan on tossing a 223 rifle together as a trainer, but am conflicted on barrel length.

Part of me really wants a handy 16in setup, but I think I will be giving up too much velocity and 20in is prob more viable.

Would be a 1:8 twist, aiming to shoot 77gr stuff.

Thoughts?
What is your target an what distance?

Thats a fun gun and you can do some real work on a short distance comp, and yeah, with consistent very low wind you can definitely hit out to a grand. However, wind will kick your ass, without looking at my kestrel I believe 1mph moved my bullet .24 at 700, DA of 1000 (77gr blackhills, 2850fps). For PRS type situation that meant I really couldn’t be off on the wind call and even during the engagement the wind could shift and move me off target. Also spotters sometimes struggle to call those 223 impacts at distance.

Just be prepared PRS can be frustrating with 223, even moreso if you you’re cutting MV by reducing barrel length.

Main use would be mammoth, and secondary use would be a trainer since my home range is only 200yd and I can avoid burning out my prs 6cm rig.

I LOVE my 16” 223:love:

7 twist pushing 75 elds, bangs steel at 1k and its just a pleasure to shoot. Its all about getting the good bc bullet twisted fast enough to carry its momentum way out there and keep stable. My old 9 twist barrel with 69s wasnt worth a damn past 600. This new one is.

Doesnt swing the target all that well but it puts a mark in the paint just like all the rest of them.

View attachment 7266750

Last weeks load confirmation for new primers, getting artistic with the group pictures lol
View attachment 7266751

What kind of velocity are you getting out of the 16"? I have a 24" that I am going to cut down, was thinking 20", might go shorter. I is only shot suppressed. I have another barrel for it in 1-7 that I will finish longer for a match/ trainer.

What kind of velocity are you getting out of the 16"? I have a 24" that I am going to cut down, was thinking 20", might go shorter. I is only shot suppressed. I have another barrel for it in 1-7 that I will finish longer for a match/ trainer.
I have 2800 entered in my calc for the 16". Thats using lapua brass, cci 450s, 23.6gr 8208 and the 75 eld.

I have 2800 entered in my calc for the 16". Thats using lapua brass, cci 450s, 23.6gr 8208 and the 75 eld.

I am currently at 3025 with 24.9gr H4895, NAMMO brass, 450s, and the 75 ELD. I might have to go 18". Once the new barrel is chambered, the shorter one will be for coyotes and a youth deer rifle. Have a 4 yr old grandson that has told me he wants to shoot a deer when he is 6.

Reactions: spife7980
What is your prs rifle? You may be able to clone it but also strip some weight for mammoth when it comes.

impact action, mdt acc, razor genii etc, heavy at 20lb or so.

Not looking to spend a fortune on this trainer, just a box 700 action, remage setup, XLR chassis and a NX8 or similar lighter weight glass.

I had a 20" 1:8 Bartlien 223 it obviously was a little slower (2825fps) than my buddies in 26"(2950fps). We both hit the same plates out to 900ish with 75 bthp in a local match but as you know that wind turns into a real bitch.

22.5”, 8 twist here. Throwing 75 eld at 2850 with Varget. No long shooting yet, but I’m excited to try it.