• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short Barrel 300 PRC

Obi-WanKannoli

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2020
USA
Hi all,

I am building a new 300 PRC, will primarily run it with a suppressor for hunting so I am planning on having.a short barrel spun up. Thinking 20 or 21 inches.

I currently have a 22" 300 PRC Seekins Havak Element that I am selling to build a custom gun (stupid, but I need to scratch the itch) and I am perfectly fine with the performance of that gun on game.

Question is, anyone have experience going shorter? 20, 21"? 20" would be phenomenal for me but not sure what people are pushing pills at with that barrel length. I do reload now, so factory loads are not something that will hold me back. Primarily will be loading the 190 grain LRX.

If anyone runs a 300 PRC at 20, 21 inches, would you mind sharing your bullet weights and velocity? Thank you in advance!

Edit: curious about twist as well in the shorter barrels, I am planning 1-9 which I think should cover me from the longer mono's up to the 225's.

Last edited:
Reactions: xphunter
Close comparison for you but not exact:

20” 300WM with RL26
190LRX easily over 3,000 fps without pressure signs
185 Jugs easily over 3,000 fps without pressure signs

I have since downloaded my charge to 2800-2900fps and it cut my SDs in half.

The 190 LRX took a bull at 300-320 yards at 2869 fps with impressive performance.

Close comparison for you but not exact:

20” 300WM with RL26
190LRX easily over 3,000 fps without pressure signs
185 Jugs easily over 3,000 fps without pressure signs

I have since downloaded my charge to 2800-2900fps and it cut my SDs in half.

The 190 LRX took a bull at 300-320 yards at 2869 fps with impressive performance.
That's awesome, thank you for the feedback. I won't be shooting any ga.e farther than 500 most likely so that sounds pretty good to me. Shooters Calc says it should still have 1,000+ FtLb out to 1,000 yards anyway.

Edit- what twist are you running?

That's awesome, thank you for the feedback. I won't be shooting any ga.e farther than 500 most likely so that sounds pretty good to me. Shooters Calc says it should still have 1,000+ FtLb out to 1,000 yards anyway.

Edit- what twist are you running?

Yeah- plenty of zoom and energy at that range.

10 Twist

Reactions: Obi-WanKannoli
I had a 20” prc and was running 212’s at 2870fps with RL26. It was a bit spicy when the ambient temps got hot though.

I had a 20” prc and was running 212’s at 2870fps with RL26. It was a bit spicy when the ambient temps got hot though.

That's pretty quick out of a 20 inch, great to hear. On the ambient Temps part, I have some retumbo to work through so that shouldn't be as much of an issue although I will certainly give up some speed. That said, it looks like the 212 at 2750 MV is still over 1k ftlbs at 1,000 yards so it shouldn't be much of an issue. I appreciate the feedback!

Yeah- plenty of zoom and energy at that range.

10 Twist

Sounds like exactly what I am looking for, thank you sir.

Hi all,

I am building a new 300 PRC, will primarily run it with a suppressor for hunting so I am planning on having.a short barrel spun up. Thinking 20 or 21 inches.

I currently have a 22" 300 PRC Seekins Havak Element that I am selling to build a custom gun (stupid, but I need to scratch the itch) and I am perfectly fine with the performance of that gun on game.

Question is, anyone have experience going shorter? 20, 21"? 20" would be phenomenal for me but not sure what people are pushing pills at with that barrel length. I do reload now, so factory loads are not something that will hold me back. Primarily will be loading the 190 grain LRX.

If anyone runs a 300 PRC at 20, 21 inches, would you mind sharing your bullet weights and velocity? Thank you in advance!

Edit: curious about twist as well in the shorter barrels, I am planning 1-9 which I think should cover me from the longer mono's up to the 225's.

You could always chop the Seekins 2"...
It is always good to have reason to build a new toy.
You can guesstimate around 30-35 fps per inch.
Twist rates will be the same for the short barrels as they are for longer ones.
I typically run 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 inch barrels, and I run the same twist rates as guys shooting longer barrels-No Problems!
For 500 yards and under killing, you could easily run a 18" tube if you wanted.
Pick your preference and go have fun and kill stuff!

Reactions: Ann Ominous
You could always chop the Seekins 2"...
It is always good to have reason to build a new toy.
You can guesstimate around 30-35 fps per inch.
Twist rates will be the same for the short barrels as they are for longer ones.
I typically run 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 inch barrels, and I run the same twist rates as guys shooting longer barrels-No Problems!
For 500 yards and under killing, you could easily run a 18" tube if you wanted.
Pick your preference and go have fun and kill stuff!
As easy as that would be and as much sense as it would make, I've got the desire to build my own. Plus, I'm assuming it's an easier sell as is from the factory.

Are you running those lengths with 300 PRC...?

Reactions: xphunter
Hi all,

Out of curiosity which can do you plan to run?

Out of curiosity which can do you plan to run?

I know some cans have restrictions and some don't. It was a concern for me because my TBAC Ultra 7 specifically says 22" minimum for 300 PRC.

I know some cans have restrictions and some don't. It was a concern for me because my TBAC Ultra 7 specifically says 22" minimum for 300 PRC.
So I did check with the owner of LPM regarding barrel lengths. They have tested down to 12.5 300 win mag:

We did lots of testing on 10.5" 5.56 machine guns and optimized our welding to ensure a weld is the least likely fail point, we even use a special flux on the first weld to double the penetration and make that joint absolutely bomb proof.
Through testing we optimized the blast baffle shape and thickness, to ensure it wouldn't collapse while red hot and under direct impingement of the muzzle blast. The blast chamber wall thickness is tapered, to account for the temperature gradient along its length under extreme use and ensure a blast chamber failure is practically impossible, as a failure there is a massive safety risk to the shooter and those around them. The rest of the baffle stack had wall thicknesses optimized, to give us the best strength possible without going too overboard on the weight. At some point you have to pick an acceptable level of durability and call it good or the thing would weigh 2 lbs. One important note is that we design the inside of the baffle stack to fail BEFORE the tube will fail. This is extremely important, as a tube failure will send shrapnel in every direction, but a baffle collapse will send it forward/down range. This is an intentional safety feature, as it acts like a fuse and tells the shooter that something is wrong and to stop before they can do something that puts themselves and others at risk.

The Anthem cans are extremely tough, they will handle all but the most insane and impractical firing schedules you can throw at it. It is the only silencer so far to pass a 15 round test fire on a 12.5" .300 win mag, and it survived with zero damage. If you really want to run them hard on a SBR and/or machine gun, pick up a muzzle brake to act as a sacrificial blast baffle, it will help a lot to control erosion on the blast baffle face.

And finally, with the Serial ID Ring we license from Energetic Armament, you can be assured that if something does happen to the silencer, that we will be able to swap on a new baffle stack in less than 24 hours and your tax stamp and time investment will always be preserved and immune from damage."

If you look at some of TBAC’s minimum lengths, they don’t make sense. For my ultra 5 gen1 300 rum and 7 rum are listed as 20” minimum but 300 norma mag and 28 Nosler are listed as 22” min.

I’ve called them several times about running their cans on some of my my short barrel rigs and generally on the phone they will tell me something shorter than the minimums listed on the website. I believe those are conservative.

I run a 300 PRC Improved with 215s at 2950 with n570 and a ultra 5 out of a 20” barrel.

20” barrel 300PRC will push 215s around 2850 with rl26 and n570 on the top end.

As easy as that would be and as much sense as it would make, I've got the desire to build my own. Plus, I'm assuming it's an easier sell as is from the factory.

Are you running those lengths with 300 PRC...?
I have had a 15.75 7.82 Patriot (short action Lazeroni case) that ran 180's at around 2750 fps or 150's at 3001 fps.
20" 300 RUM with 230's at 2825 fps

I do NOT have a 300 PRC
I do have a 18" 7mm-300 PRC (300 PRC necked down to 7mm) and I run the 190 Hybrid at 2753 fps

If you look at some of TBAC’s minimum lengths, they don’t make sense. For my ultra 5 gen1 300 rum and 7 rum are listed as 20” minimum but 300 norma mag and 28 Nosler are listed as 22” min.

I’ve called them several times about running their cans on some of my my short barrel rigs and generally on the phone they will tell me something shorter than the minimums listed on the website. I believe those are conservative.

I run a 300 PRC Improved with 215s at 2950 with n570 and a ultra 5 out of a 20” barrel.

20” barrel 300PRC will push 215s around 2850 with rl26 and n570 on the top end.

Yeah that doesn't sound like it makes much sense! I confirmed with Riley at Liberty Precision Machine, he said he has zero reservations about 20" 300 PRC.

Those are great numbers for the size, I'll take that for sure.

I have had a 15.75 7.82 Patriot (short action Lazeroni case) that ran 180's at around 2750 fps or 150's at 3001 fps.
20" 300 RUM with 230's at 2825 fps

I do NOT have a 300 PRC
I do have a 18" 7mm-300 PRC (300 PRC necked down to 7mm) and I run the 190 Hybrid at 2753 fps

These are great data points regardless. I am pretty confident I should be able to push the 190 lrx to 3k with retumbo.

Reactions: CA48 and xphunter
Any update on velocity’s with short barrels shooting around 200 grain bullets?

Any update on velocity’s with short barrels shooting around 200 grain bullets?
I, regrettably, ended up getting a 24 inch barrel. It was either take the 24 now with the twist i wanted or wait an unknown amount of weeks or months for the twist and 22 inch I wanted to be available for the Smith who cut my chamber (Straight Jacket, great chamber horrific business). So, presumably not far off of what you see on a box of factory ammo.

I, regrettably, ended up getting a 24 inch barrel. It was either take the 24 now with the twist i wanted or wait an unknown amount of weeks or months for the twist and 22 inch I wanted to be available for the Smith who cut my chamber (Straight Jacket, great chamber horrific business). So, presumably not far off of what you see on a box of factory ammo.
I have a bunch of 205 Berger’s I planned to hand load. I’ll most likely go with a 22” bartlein carbon. Just don’t know if it’s worth chambering in 300 prc or just stay with 300 win mag. I don’t shot over 215g in a .30 cal. But I want the extra speed if there would be any.

I have a bunch of 205 Berger’s I planned to hand load. I’ll most likely go with a 22” bartlein carbon. Just don’t know if it’s worth chambering in 300 prc or just stay with 300 win mag. I don’t shot over 215g in a .30 cal. But I want the extra speed if there would be any.

My humble opinion is that if you already have a 300 win mag, keep shooting it . If you don't have a big magnum cartridge to begin with, take the prc over the wm. At any barrel length ther are improvements with the prc, but in my opinion for most people these are not enough to push the needle if you already have a win mag.

Reactions: STLSteve86
Update for anyone interested or following, I ended up purchasing a 1:8t 20 inch 30 cal proof blank during black Friday deals, and it is now on its way to be chambered by SAC. I'll post up some photos and data in the coming months when I get it back.

It's here. 20" 1:8t AW2 300 PRC. Feels incredible in the hand, I'll follow up once I have a chance to do some load development and take her out to 1100.

20240102_191828~2.jpg

Any update on that 20"? I'm lookin at doing something similar and curious how it shoots factory rounds.
Haven't had an opportunity to get to the range yet with it unfortunately, life has very much been in the way. I'll report back soon though!

Very clean. Almost identical to mine but different action.

Loving the Ti bolts too 🤘

Thanks brother. Really happy with how it turned out, your commentary definitely was a driving factor in going 20" . Here's a few better pics:

20240103_101955~2.jpg
20240103_092515.jpg

Man those Ti bolts, I still get 2 pms a week asking about them. When I have some free time in life toward the end of the year I may do another batch. We'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: HotRod68Camaro
Any update on that 20"? I'm lookin at doing something similar and curious how it shoots factory rounds.

Shoots insanely well. Beyond happy with this thing. Feels like a cheat code in my hands. Huge thanks to Short Action Customs and Terminus Actions.

20240204_130216~2.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2024-02-04 13_13_08.320180.png

Edit:

First 4x out of the barrel, 225 ELDM factory ammo -

Ballistic-X-Export-2024-02-04 13_44_48.086431.png

6x following that, also 225 ELDM -

Ballistic-X-Export-2024-02-04 13_42_47.793966.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks brother. Really happy with how it turned out, your commentary definitely was a driving factor in going 20" . Here's a few better pics:

View attachment 8340075View attachment 8340076

Man those Ti bolts, I still get 2 pms a week asking about them. When I have some free time in life toward the end of the year I may do another batch. We'll see.
Greeeaaaattttt, now I want a 20" 300 PRC

Did you get any velocities on factory ammo with the 20”? Also curious about the decision to go with a 1:8 twist, I’ve been seeing a lot of folks recommend 1:9 or 1:10. Are there some benefits to going with the higher twist?

Did you get any velocities on factory ammo with the 20”? Also curious about the decision to go with a 1:8 twist, I’ve been seeing a lot of folks recommend 1:9 or 1:10. Are there some benefits to going with the higher twist?
Nope, didn't chrono. Assuming around 3050 on the 180's. I went 1:8 because I primarily run heavy mono's. If you don't plan to do that 1:9 is a good sweet spot. People like 1:9 and even 1:10 more so for the lighter cup and core projectiles. Also, 225 eldm seem to hold up better with a 1:9.

Reactions: tinytigers