• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Short Barrel .308 Ultra 7; To brake, or not To Brake?

RuckSack

Single Stacker
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2012
South Mississippi
Good day to all. I'm looking into purchasing my first suppressor soon and have narrowed it down to the TBAC Ultra 7. The only thing I'm on the fence about is whether or not I can stand to shoot a short barrel .308 with a brake attached. Specifically, my thoughts are that the .308 is not a heavily recoiling caliber, and thus not necessary to brake. I can only imagine how loud a 16" barrel would be with this brake???

I see and read a lot of comments here and elsewhere about the benefits of the TOMB mounted Tbac system, specifically the threading and conical shoulder. I'm having a tough time making the decision to go with the CB brake and TOMB mounted Ultra 7, or Direct Thread and be done with it.

My issue really is that I would like to occasionally be able to run my short barrel unsuppressed without ruining everyone's day at the range. I know some may suggest that I pick up the flash hider instead. I am also thinking about this. I just don't like the way the long shoulder of it looks. Am I crazy or what? I wish they made a thread adapter insert that would fit inside the CB mounted Ultra to allow switching between TOMB and direct thread. I guess my only other option would be to leave the brake inside the suppressor but doesn't that just add unnecessary weight??

By short you mean 16"?

You could do either. A brake on a 16" .308 is loud, but unsupressed rifles are loud.

You could always use the CB flash hider, as you said.

The Ultra series in "DT Mode" has a simplified brake semi-permanently fixed in place as the thread portion, so you are pretty much right how that works. Some people just leave the regular brake inside a "CB mode" Ultra.

Another option would be the Area 419 system, though we don't officially sanction it.

Thank you Zak for your quick and informative response. I looked at the 419 system and felt like it was 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I'll just have to make up my mind I suppose!

The above articles that 2ndamendfan posted are entertaining the hell out of me, while also confirming my suspicions. Thank you both for helping me out. I have a bit of time to decide and will do some more soul searching for now.

My AT barrel is getting cut to 16 3/4” right now. I’m going to run the CB Brake while I wait on my Ultra 7. I’ve shot numerous short .308’s with a brake and can’t tell the difference between 16, 18, and 20” to be honest.

Reactions: RuckSack
I'm currently running a Remington AAC SD with the factory 20" varmint profile but plan to cut it down to 16" for the suppressor. I would even consider having the barrel cut to 14.5" and pinning the TBAC flash hider on to hit 16". My only question with that is how oddly would the flash hider mate to the barrel diameter at that length and could the flash hider be made oversized so it could be turned down to match the barrel for a seamless permanent transition? Am I crazy for even considering this option given the ballistics and velocity trade off that would incur? Could be off topic and need it's own thread. :unsure:

Ten-Four Zak. I am in the field for work for at least the next couple of weeks, so no rush on anything. I will shoot you an email; Thank you again for your amazing support here on the Hide. Now I have to go research 14.5" .308 bolt gun ballistics, as I don't want to derail my own thread.

Please shoot me an email regarding that possibility and I'll run it by our engineers and foreman.

I'd be interested in a flash hider designed to mate to heavier taper barrels as well. Working on a 223 project.

I brake all the things that I practically can. One reason is because brakes kind-sorta serve as a sacrificial baffle to the can (for those brakes that double as suppressor mounts), and the other reason is... why deal with more recoil than you have to?

Seriously, the only rifles I own that don't have brakes are those for which it is impractical or have value in their unaltered state.

I vote for 16 inches and break it! People that bitch about guns being loud shouldn't be at the range anyway. They should take up golf!

:LOL: You guys have all been great here! Thanks for the advice and service from Zak and Ray, and everyone who has chimed in! TBAC Ultra 7, CB brake, 16 inches of ear popping pain.

@Zak Smith, I think I will probably pick up a brake as well as a flash hider when the time comes, and not worry with trying to do anything special this time around. Sorry for not emailing you about the flash hider; I think it's a great idea though and thank you for offering to help me out with it. Regardless, I'd still like to talk with you about the process and see how it could go. PM me your email? I can't seem to figure out how to find your contact info here or on the TBAC site. (y)

Last edited: