• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short barrel 5.56

AMGtuned

Just white trash with money.....
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Maine
Here we are again fellas, back at the bench with some new ideas.

I've acquired a stockpile of 55gr FMJ and 55gr JSP, along with some CFE223. The ONLY 5.56 weapon I own is a 10.5", 1:7, carbine gas, 5.56 NATO chamber. And I shoot it A LOT. It has also just received a 6.5" Form 1 suppressor, that is very good at its job. Which will of course, lead to more trigger time.

My question is as follows: Is it feasible to aim for lower charge weights, while still achieving proper flight and expansion? Most testing, especially with light .224 projectiles, is done from 20-24" barrels.

I'm already fighting a losing battle; using a cartridge designed to burn in 20" of barrel, in a 10.5" one. And my can kills all the flash. Im just looking to maximize performance and production, with minimal components. This is for general purpose target/training/commies/plinking.

Thanks all! I'm quarantined with the Rona, so the wife and kids left me my reloading stuff, and my range. Needless to say, I've got some time.

My 10.3 cycles my 55gr loads with a 0.76" gas port and an adjustable gas block, standard buffer spring, and standard or H1 buffer....

so there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to make it work.

Oh, good luck with the 'Rona... you have a 99.9+% chance of being just fine and dandy.

Reactions: AMGtuned
I toyed with reduced charge loads a few years ago. I didn’t have much success, but it was serviceable. I also have a 10.5” upper with an SDN6 can. At 2100fps it was about a 3 MOA load (with a 2 MOA red dot). It did cycle fine, the upper has a lightweight BCG, with a Spikes ST2 buffer.

Was it worth it? Nah. Not really.

Reactions: AMGtuned