• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing short barrel and tight bores?

300sniper

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2005
Greenwood, Ca
i am about to start ordering parts for my new build. i am thinking about an 18-1/2" barrel .308 for our local steel match that goes out to 500 meters. i also want to be able to use this rifle for our 1k match now and then although i know it is not going to be ideal. the main purpose for this is to be a handy, compact rifle that can get to 1k if needed.

i have been reading a bit about other short barrel .308s using a .299" bore. i figure i will probably need to go this route to get the pressure and velocity up. what i am wondering is if there is any down side to the tight bore barrels? i will be shooting only hand loads out of this rifle but i still haven't decided which bullet yet.

Re: short barrel and tight bores?

again, i'm not building this for a 1k yard rifle. after reading about other short barrel, tight bore .308s, i know it will make it to 1k and still be sonic. i am mostly wondering if there are any downsides to the tight bore before i place my barrel order and commit to this.

I spoke with Frank Green a while back concerning 6mm barrels and if there was an advantage or disadvantage when comparing .237" vs .236" bores. He said he had tried both with numerous bullets and couldn’t really tell any difference. I know the Palma guys are shooting the tighter bores with 155 Scenars but, is it really making a difference? Other than a slight velocity difference there may not be any real noticeable gains. I know a builder that swears by 18.75" & 21.75" barrels for .308's. One of the departments he provides rifles to has tested their 1-12 18.75" rifles to 700 yards. They worked like a charm but, that’s still too short for me. I'd run either a 1-10 or 1-11 at 22" and call it good.

I have shot several "tight"(.298/.3075) bore barrels on 308 rifles. I cannot see any difference in performance. I order .300/.308 (Kriegers, Bartlien,Brux) the cut barrels are a little tight anyway. Good Luck and Good Shooting