• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

short barrel cartridge choices?

916dude!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
Sacramento,CA
I am getting parts together for a new build and a probably going to start with a 308 tube. I was wondering if there are other cartridges that are more accurate than a 308 at 1K in an 18-22" barrel. If so, what is the life expectancy?

Re: short barrel cartridge choices?

Yes, they are different. A 6 Dasher will be more accurate but will require more attention to the wind. A .50 will be much more forgiving of wind calls but is not as inherently accurate.

-Chris

How 'bout a 6mm BR setup for 105-115's ? Inherent accuracy is certainly there, it has better flight numbers than a 308 and the powder burn is complete in a 20"-22" tube without any trouble. I've seen it perform extremely well at 1100+yd with the 105 class of bullets. I will be building one soon.

I run a 22" barrel on my 300WM. Not what you first think of when you talk about short barrels. But it was very impressive 2 weeks ago, watching the dramatic impact difference between a 175 gr .308 rd. and a 208 gr 300WM rd. hitting steel at 1080.

I don't give up near as much as you think. 7 mils to 1000 @ 2870 fps.

Food for thought...

John

Oh, and wind? I watched as the .308 boys struggled with 15-20 mph winds even at short distances. Those 208's made it pretty much uneventful for me until we got out past 800.