• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short barrel - light 6.5 hunting rifle

6.5BR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2007
LA
Curious who hunts with a 16-20" sporter for a woods rifle?

Finn Aaggard wrote a piece on a ULA 7BR in 1992. It had a 16 11/16 bbl weighed 4lb 14 oz - bbl contour sporter mag at .660. Looks like a nice blueprint for a handy woods carbine.

Not a "Fly-weight" fan but it seems a 17-19" in a #2 or 2.5 contour, in say a McM compact stock might be a handy woods rifle for deer.

Anyone using a set up like this in 47L or CM? Like to hear about rifle and results. Thanks.

Nice rifle and buck, congrats. Any members using light bolt-action carbines? I know most guys here are running heavy contours. Bob S had a 17" 47 IIRC with a # 3.

It is. Well sendero/Varmint but i plan on spiral flutes also

Last edited:
I just finished a 16.5” 6.5 Creedmoor rem 700. I used a Bartlein #3 as it was the lightest that I could cut that short and have the min barrel diameter for threading. Total weight is right at 9 lbs with scope. I get 2500 FPS out of factory 140 grain loads. Very handy even with the suppressor, I’ve only shot one deer with it so far, but it’s a keeper.

Last edited:
I go maybe a bit too far in the short/lightweight direction.

My walkabout hunter is a Mossberg MVP Predator .223 with a 3-12x40 BDC scope, paired with a 600yd-capable LRF, and Fed MSR 62gr Fusion loads. I also have a 16" lightweight Upper with a SPARC scope, using the same load. The combination makes for as much of a 'Hammer' as one can probably manage with the .223. It's a matter of "...a man's just got to know his limitations...", requiring shots be taken at a limit of 150 (maybe 200 with a 'perfect' shot setup) yards. The laser is used to do a preliminary mapping (like a mental range card) of the immediate hunting area, so the BDC can be used with somewhat better reliability. With a well coordinated LRF/BDC combination, the rifles can shoot to minute of venison quite well, and the performance (accuracy/terminal) of the MSR Fusion load is as close to optimal as I've been able to find in my rifles.

The same setups, but employing a .308 case capacity, will work better for longer (but not ridiculously longer) distances.

Greg

Last edited:
I have a 20” inch” 6.5 swede built on an m70 action. Proof sendero profile barrel, manners mcs-t, PTG oberndorf bottom metal, Talley lightweights, Nightforce 2.5-10x42. It weighs 8.4 pounds and is great to carry around with a rifles only multi use sling.

Reactions: RPN
My 'other' hunter was an M70 .30-06 Featherweight, 22" barrel. Now residing with my Son-in-law, it harvested (harvests) a lot of deer, and it's neither heavy nor bulky.

The .30-'06 is 'enough gun', and shoots nice and flat, without being a 'beast' in the process. I used a handload of 48.1gr of IMR-4064 and the Sierra 165gr GameKing. In the field, the recoil was firm, but not a distraction or deterrent.

That same rifle took a 4th at the NJ State Sniper Championships shooting 168FGMM, of which the above load is a hunting version clone load. With the 168SMK it shoots identical groups at 200yd with no more than a 2" POI offset. In local club matches, it sweeps the Deer Rifle category consistently.

Greg

Last edited:
Good stuff gang, that Swede above is interesting, had a few '96 sporterized, long ago, and a 700 Classic, and a K1A Ruger........oh, the pre-64 style SS FWT, all sold to fund other projects...

The one '96 was chopped to 21" and made a handy carbine, though the barrel was more like a 3 or so Bartlein, shot very well. It and the Classic dumped a few deer with simple 120 Corelokts, not super accurate, but deadly deer poison. I detest recoil, and blast and not running a can, so thinking a 47 or CM capacity will be the most I want to run, perhaps even a 6.5BR.....just nice seeing all the stores carrying a plethora of Creedmoor ammo with bullets that work great on game, shoot accurate, and costs less than many other rounds. Perhaps next year I will have a report....Thanks everyone!

BTW the christensen arms has 20% off on their barrels a carbon fiber 6.5 blank is 480$. If i had the money i'd snag one for my TL3. Smith says he ought to be done with my 6.5x47 this weekend.

My father in law shoots a Kimber Aderondack “not sure on spelling” it’s an 18” 6.5 Creedmoor. 140’s at 2600 and Prime 130’s at 2700+
for a sub 5lb Rifle it’s pretty slick.

Reactions: BACB
I have a 20” inch” 6.5 swede built on an m70 action. Proof sendero profile barrel, manners mcs-t, PTG oberndorf bottom metal, Talley lightweights, Nightforce 2.5-10x42. It weighs 8.4 pounds and is great to carry around with a rifles only multi use sling.

Sounds like a good set up. What kind of speeds are you getting from the 20" swede?

I also have a 20" swede, 2740 ish with the 143gr ELD-X. 8lb on the dot!

Attachments

• photo80763.jpg
    photo80763.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 123
Not sure what your budget is or if you want factory vs build, but look at the Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM with threaded barrel. I have some trigger time behind the non-threaded version and WILL own one some day.

Good luck and update the thread with your results.

Reactions: jrkotz
My son shoots a 16" 6.5 Creed. It's more than a woods rifle. He has killed antelope with it to 400yds+. I load it with 120-123gr bullets. Makes a great suppressor host.

Hondo, 2700 is not a bad place to be, factory ammo/18"....that will do plenty work. WB300, taken notice, any thoughts on the bolt handle attachment? Accuracy?

GG - Any speed info in that shorty? Thanks all.

I have a 18" x47L that I run 140's in just under 2700 and and 18" 6.5 CM I run 123's in it 2800. The factory Hdy AW 129gr SP shoot lights out in the CM around 2750 fps.

Vmax- great to hear. Whose barrel and twist? What powder are you running in the 47? I always looked at the 129 as a gold standard until a few years ago, for a solid 6.5 field bullet. Seems to do almost what a 125 Partition does, at these speeds. The BC is a bit lower than some, but to most common distances, the AW has to be a good choice. Thanks for the info.

I have a couple of SS M7s in 260. Handy things. Shoot better than you’d think a 20” pencil barrel should. Never going to sell them, they’re pre J-locks.

54AE5BBF-92FE-429A-9952-6F01DD47ED35.jpeg

Wife’s rifle I used in 2009. 100gr NBT @3175fps. Broke both shoulders at 30 yards.

Last edited:
I had one, swapped a deluxe stock, back around 97 right after it was Saami'd - never shot great, too muzzle light for me so I re-barreled it to something else, built a few other rifles in 260 afterwards.
A buddy had an MOA carbine, shot bugholes w/100BTs, in 6.5BR, 22" - had an amazing trigger but the action was funky and cumbersome to reload. Hear good things on those 100s like the 120s, just a lower bc. Nice buck your wife took there. Thanks for sharing.

I've got a Remington model 7 in 260 20" barrel with a zeiss 4.5-14 weighs 7 1/2 pounds. 140 game kings @2735 has taken multiple deer. Was my go deer rifle on the river bottom, but I just built a 6.5 grendel with a 18" barrel that's a few ounces heavier with a leupold vx3 6-20. I think the 260 is going to loose it's spot in the lineup.

Last edited:
Vmax- great to hear. Whose barrel and twist? What powder are you running in the 47? I always looked at the 129 as a gold standard until a few years ago, for a solid 6.5 field bullet. Seems to do almost what a 125 Partition does, at these speeds. The BC is a bit lower than some, but to most common distances, the AW has to be a good choice. Thanks for the info.

Both are 8T Bartlein. I run H4350 in the x47L.

[QUOTE= WB300, taken notice, any thoughts on the bolt handle attachment? Accuracy?

I don't have any issues with it. Reviews from the Pros talk about the pinned bolt handle like it's a good thing. Definitely solid feeling.

Accuracy has been great. I've had to learn how to shoot such a light rifle correctly, but it just shot a 1 1/4" 6-shot group with Hornady 143 ELD-x. 5 are actually 3/4 moa with a shot opening up the group but i cant remember which shot it was. This is with a fixed 6x Leupold which is not the best for groups. Factory Hornady 143 ELD-x and Federal Fusions both shot .77 moa 3 shot groups but the interesting thing is, both groups together are 1 1/4moa. According to Melvin Forbes who is the genius behind the initial design, a benefit of having the barrel bedded the entire length of the stock is having about the same POI even with different ammo. I've found this to be true with his rifles I've owned, especially with a Forbes LLC 30-06. 6 different factory loads from 150 to 180 grain grouped everything within 2.5 inches at 100 yards. Some 3 shot groups were great and some were not so great, but i could grab any of those rounds blindfolded and felt confident that i could put them in the boiler room of a tiny south GA deer out to 200 yards

Have not tried hand loading yet.

Hope this helps.

Will

Good stuff gang, thanks all. The 17" above, what Ti action? Been a thought also.....nice hog btw - congrats!

Very nice, noticed those awhile back, did you have yours coated? I understand certain coatings help, and/or are recommended. What are you saving there - 8 to 12 oz?

Should be a fast handling hunting stick.Thanks.

I'm gathering parts for a 16.5" 6.5CM. Here's what I've got so far:

Bartlein #3 1:8
Defiance Deviant Hunter
Timney 2-Stage
APA Bottom Metal
Mcmillan HTG Edge

I plan to run suppressed pretty much full-time with 120's or 130's. I am ridiculously excited about this build!! Its fun to see what you guys are doin.

Very nice, noticed those awhile back, did you have yours coated? I understand certain coatings help, and/or are recommended. What are you saving there - 8 to 12 oz?

Should be a fast handling hunting stick.Thanks.

Mine was coated . My titanium rem action does not bind though.

In addition to the 6.5 I spoke of above we also run a 18" 7SAC in a McM Game Scout stock. It's a 7mm wildcat Mark at Short Action Customs made out of the 6.5 creed that he has a reamer and sizer die to chamber/load the round. It's a potent little rifle as well.

I just finished a 16.5” 6.5 Creedmoor rem 700. I used a Bartlein #3 as it was the lightest that I could cut that short and have the min barrel diameter for threading. Total weight is right at 9 lbs with scope. I get 2500 FPS out of factory 140 grain loads. Very handy even with the suppressor, I’ve only shot one deer with it so far, but it’s a keeper.

I did the same thing (but with a Stiller action)and getting similar weight and velocity. I was able to ring steel at 1000 two weeks ago with the factory Hornady 123 Amax. Rarely shoot it that far but it balances well with the suppressor and is deadly on coyotes with the 130 Berger hunting.

I made one a couple years back, and a huge thanks to those here who helped me. I took a saw to an old Remington wood stock, and threw together a 700 with a slightly used AAC 260 barrel, and cut it off at 16 inches. I mounted up a small 1-6 scope on it, and so far junior is 2 for 2 on mule deer, and 1 for 1 on elk with the rifle. In another couple weeks we intend on making it 2 for 2 on elk :)
(The gun shoots 120 gr PVRI BTHP match bullets at about 2800 about .5-.8 MOA)

First deer 490yds
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i63.tinypic.com\/28u6uxd.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Second Deer (from last month) 325 yards

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i66.tinypic.com\/2edcnz6.jpg"}[/IMG2]

First Elk 540 yards

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i68.tinypic.com\/553xix.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Great pics, posts and info gang. Goes to show folks, you don't need heavy to lug, long-barreled magnums to kill game at common sane distances.

WM - I wonder if the 700 Ti has a CM bolt head welded to a Ti bolt body? Seems some SS 700s look that way if not mistaken. Thanks all, more welcome to join in.

Photo shamelessly poached from Seekins FB page to resurrect this thread. That is a SWEET rifle! I'm gonna have ta order an Ultra 5!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171116-202641.jpg
    Screenshot_20171116-202641.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 144
My son shoots a 16" 6.5 Creed. It's more than a woods rifle. He has killed antelope with it to 400yds+. I load it with 120-123gr bullets. Makes a great suppressor host.
Been reading a lot on these ideas thanks. I've got a 26" steel Proof Prefit coming up any day now on end of service for me. Will hit 2600 rounds next week and have not checked velo in a long time, but know I have to be getting close to done and since I pretty much shoot ELR exclusively time to put my new prefit in play soon. Pondering cutting it down one day

We like them for inside roughly 600yds. Built an 18" 7mm Creedmoor since this thread. For us with most shots in the 300s max hunting and occasionally longer 16-18" are great lengths to run cans and not be boat paddles. Performance is good.

I plan to get another barrel for my kids archimedes for hunter, probably 16-18”. What is the lightest profile you can thread for that length? They will use either my TB dominus or the KGM R30 for hunting.

For white tails I’m torn between a short 6mm or 6.5. Main goal is reliable, ethical kills with a pass through (for blood trails), light weight and low recoil with a max distance or 250/300 yds if the kids shoot it well enough

This rifle I put together for my son for deer hunting is awesome!

Unfortunately I have not chronographed it yet, but I have only used 129gr Hornady American Whitetail and it shoots great. It shoots about 0.75 MOA 3 shot groups. It's a 16 inch 6.5xm factory barrel and 9 inch form1 can.

My gunsmith states 0.725 is needed to thread and shoulder a barrel if that helps anyone with measuring a barrel/contour to see if it can be threaded at the length you want.

This rifle is 2 for 2 using the ammo above with complete pass through and deer not going far after shot.
20201111_142355.jpg
20201111_210953.jpg
20201113_192529.jpg

20” bart green carbon 6.5cm
CS 2.0 bedded
Impact action
Hawkins dbm
Area 419 ARCA
Spuhr 3006 vortex amg
Omega can
Atlas

Attachments

• 0E4271D1-03D4-42FD-87C5-CFE0F0F08C0E.jpeg
    0E4271D1-03D4-42FD-87C5-CFE0F0F08C0E.jpeg
    469.5 KB · Views: 107
  • C1402AFC-61BA-4829-899D-3F757A59D88D.jpeg
    C1402AFC-61BA-4829-899D-3F757A59D88D.jpeg
    858 KB · Views: 125
  • C0333374-6E12-479C-861F-0C152089227F.jpeg
    C0333374-6E12-479C-861F-0C152089227F.jpeg
    745.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 05796C79-7E33-49A6-AAB8-657E7210A1AB.jpeg
    05796C79-7E33-49A6-AAB8-657E7210A1AB.jpeg
    870.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Since this thread is over 4 years old, I'm curious to to see what @6.5BR wound up with.

I'd love to hear more about that 7 Creedmoor. I've thought about having a reamer made. I locked up a loaded round with 162's just to see how the bullet would seat in the case.

7PRC is what I’d love to try. Finally a 7 short mag that you can get lapua brass and just neck up easily. 7 creed why not just buy a 7-08?

What bullets are you shooting that won’t fit mag length in a 7-08? Anything that heavy is going to be pretty darn slow I’d imagine. 7sst and wsm are good cartridges just no real quality brass manufacturers. Used to have a 7-300wsm. To have factory brass or a simple neck up is pretty awesome. I’d imagine a 7PRC with a 180 berger would be pretty badass in a short action and get decent barrel life.