• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short Barrel, Short Range Elk Rifle

Hawk in WY

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2013
Jackson Hole, WY
I have built a number of long barrel, long range elk rifles, 300 WM, 300 PRC, and 300 NM with 26 to 28 inch barrels. All successful. Goal for next build is shorter barrel, suppressed, lighter weight rifle for big elk (850 pounds) inside 300 yards.

I plan to rebarrel an Origin short action or an Impact short or long action, all magnum bolt heads except for one Impact LA with a Lapua bolt head.

Goal is 20 to 22 inch barrel plus suppressor.

I prefer Proof barrels and heavy for caliber Barnes bullets, 168’s in 7 mm, 200’s in .308.

My first thought is 7 SAUM with a 22 inch barrel but I need high SD more than high BC inside 300 yards.

Next thought is one of the .308 magnums but that puts me in the long action and more weight. I do not currently load for the 300 WSM and I suspect the WSM is not ideal for long, heavy bullets The short barrel does defeat the idea of one of the magnums but inside 300 yards that’s probably not a problem. The 308 Win is enough gun for elk inside 300 yards, but these are really big elk and more is better. :)

22 inch 300 PRC maybe? The 7 SAUM is still an option.

Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge.

Reactions: Hank Fabich jr.
300SS or 338SS (Sherman Short) with the origin short would be my choices

if going long action then 30SM or 338SM

don't discount Bartlein and Benchmark carbon barrels

Reactions: LR1845
I have built a number of long barrel, long range elk rifles, 300 WM, 300 PRC, and 300 NM with 26 to 28 inch barrels. All successful. Goal for next build is shorter barrel, suppressed, lighter weight rifle for big elk (850 pounds) inside 300 yards.

I plan to rebarrel an Origin short action or an Impact short or long action, all magnum bolt heads except for one Impact LA with a Lapua bolt head.

I prefer Proof barrels and heavy for caliber Barnes bullets, 168’s in 7 mm, 200’s in .308.

My first thought is 7 SAUM with a 22 inch barrel but I need high SD more than high BC inside 300 yards.

Next thought is one of the .308 magnums but that puts me in the long action and more weight. I do not currently load for the 300 WSM and I suspect the WSM is not ideal for long, heavy bullets The short barrel does defeat the idea of one of the magnums but inside 300 yards that’s probably not a problem. The 308 Win is enough gun for elk inside 300 yards, but these are really big elk and more is better. :)

What makes you think that your elk are magically bigger than other elk?

Reactions: Two36
For 300 yards suppressed 300 SAUM or SS is plenty. Stepping up to a lighter 300 PRC suppressed increases recoil significantly, not worth it for 300 yards IMO.
I also don’t think a short barrel completely defeats the idea of a magnum. I run a 30 Sherman Mag out of a 20” barrel (300 PRC IMP) and get 2950fps with the 215s and N570.

I just put together a 23” bartlien 3B 300 win mag to shoot suppressed for elk and a Yukon moose hunt for my 10 year old boy this fall. I went with 300 win mag SAAMI chamber for the fact ammo is everywhere.
I just could not make myself cut it down to 20” until this moose is dead.
Kids shoot 175 smk for practice and Barnes 180 at 2825fps. I have a few Berger 215 at 2950 fps that go in my pocket for wolf across the river or big fuzzy.
I also have a 28” proof comp contour 30SM barrel for this action for playing.

You know that 7mm will have a higher sectional density than the same weight 30 cal bullet, right?
Not just by a little bit either.

I’m running a 22in 7saum, and I’m happy with the performance. Relatively low recoil, decent speeds, high sectional density, BC is high enough on some bullets to make it possible to take elk out to 1000 yards. If you have some H1000 laying around, you can run 180’s about 2800fps without too much issue. 160 class bullets can get up around 2900-2950 in my experience.

My choice would be a 20" 300wsm/saum shooting 200gr A-frame or partitions. Shooting 300yds or less you dont need a high BC bullet, choose a bullet that will punch through shoulders if need be.

My 2020 Public Land Elk

22" 300 WSM, H4350 had 178 ELDxs going 3,015 fps. That GAP Crusader was 18 pounds fully loaded. If it was 12 pounds it would definitely be short and handy. Way more than enough juice. Elk dropped on the spot at 150ish yards.

I had a 7 SAUM in a desert tech as well. Splitting hairs IMO. 7saum for the Ultra ling range stuff. For 800 yards and in the 300wsm seemed like a winner. I'd definitely do a 300 WSM again. Mild recoil and hits like a cannon ball smacking a into a concrete wall!

Attachments

• 20201111_091347.jpg
    20201111_091347.jpg
    805.8 KB · Views: 312
Inside 300 yards you may as well put all your options in a hat and pick one at random. Either of the PRC’s, any saum variant, the 6.8 western, either wsm. All of these are more than enough

Choosing personally, I would pick whichever has the best brass that is readily available

I chrono’d the factory Norma 300 WSM 180 grain Bondstrike ammo at 2,900 from my 20” - suppressed with ultra 7. At 300 yards it still has over 2,400 ft-lbs of energy.

The 7 SAUM or the 300 Sherman Short are calling out to me. The 338 SS is appealing but probably not necessary for elk at short range.

ADG makes 7 SAUM Brass. I am happy with ADG brass in other calibers.

Sherman makes 300 SS brass. How is the quality? Is the headstamp correct?

I’d go 7 SAUM and be done with it. We kill several elk per year in WY (even with archery equipment) and the 7 SAUM will be plenty. Put a 168-180 gr projectile through the lungs and it’s game over.

Reactions: Nuube
I did not check the sectional density on 7 mm. That's a material difference.
I've hunted elk my whole life in Colorado and at 300 yards a 6mm will do fine with good bullets and shot placement. But I've killed elk with 25 cal 6.5 7mm and 30 cars. At 300 yards short barrel short action 300 wsm 270 wsm 7 saum. Grab a copper bullet push it fast

Reactions: b6graham
The 7 SAUM or the 300 Sherman Short are calling out to me. The 338 SS is appealing but probably not necessary for elk at short range.

ADG makes 7 SAUM Brass. I am happy with ADG brass in other calibers.

Sherman makes 300 SS brass. How is the quality? Is the headstamp correct?
ADG makes Sherman brass

I'd do the .300 WSM over 7mm. Highly accurate (just set a new world record for 1K yard, 10 shot group) with all the ass of it's long-action sibling.
I thought the same regarding the short action- but this round doesn't suffer with heavies stuffed into the case further than what you'd think was "optimal" (and confirmed with my own experience). JMO and worth what ya paid for it...

This was a real test at Nosler with pressure transducers...

Reactions: Nivium
When its filled with magic, case capacity is immaterial. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Tule Elk are only in CA. Pretty much everyone who is shooting Elk, is shooting rocky mountain elk.

Reactions: Supersubes
I don't see the need for an overbore cartridge like the suggested Magnums for a short to medium range hunting calibre, especially with a shortish barrel. Even with a suppressor, a large capacity overbore cartridge (i.e. Magnum) will be a lot louder than a cartridge with more moderate muzzle pressures such as - for example - the already mentioned .338 Fed or 9.3x62. SD is nice and all but a big hole is a big hole.

I have hunted moose and red deer with a .358 Win and even that borderline anemic cartridge works well out to 300 yards using 225 gr Game Kings or Accubonds (or the lightest .35 TTSX), now I run 9.3x62 using Lapua Naturalis bullets. Scoff all you want the low BC but these things kill well. If you want something more exotic and flat shooting, the .35-284 could be something to look into as well.

Happy hunting and don't take any shots you might regret later. (y)

I thought you said you wanted a short barrel? I’ve got a 16” 308 that drives 178’s fast enough to keep them in stable flight to at least 1000 yards. I’m sure it will kill any “big bull” I may get an opportunity at. For 300 yards or less you could sbr that thing and run a 12.5” barrel and still kill whatever roams the Rocky Mountain region with ease assuming a decent shot placement. Save yourself the weight of that musket you’re talking about. Don’t overcomplicate it. Go short or go home :)

Reactions: Nivium
I’m a 30-06 fan. My dark timber rifle has been a Remington 7600 in 30-06 with a leupold 2-7x. 200 Nosler Partitions have worked well in the ranges I have been (mostly under 75 yards). It is reasonably light and carries easily. JME
Lots of great options.

Reactions: Two36
Ive shot a lot of elk and American bison with 338, 35 Whelan Improved and 375. Very reliable killers. For 300 yards and under a 35 is a very powerful ctg. It actually killed bison as well or better than the higher velocity 338.

My kid took down an elk at 300+ yards using an Alex Wheeler-built 6.5x47 Lapua, with a 20" barrel and 130 grain Berger Hybrids. One shot. The elk took two steps and keeled over stone dead. All about shot placement. If you have it (and a reliable rifle like Alex builds), that's plenty of fire power for an elk. My kid used the same gun and round to deliver a head-shot on a buck last year at 250 yards. That buck just folded up his legs and crumpled in place. Although I shoot mostly F Open and laughed at my kid when he and Alex cooked up the plans for this gun...I have to confess, it is a sweet gun to shoot, and if he'd let me borrow it (which, of course, he won't), I would probably use it for deer.

For the shorter and suppressed barrel I am personally going to try 8,5x55

Light and short means different things to different people ☺️

I have 3 almost identical setups. For the same kind of use on red deer, caribou and moose.
A Blaser R93 with a 6.5*55, 3006 and 375hh 18-20" barrels, all suppressed.
Weighing 3,5-4,5kg depending on optics/setup.

All work great.
A Barnes 127 lrx in 6.5 will do a LOT of damage.
But lacks the penetration of a ttsx.
It's just about getting the right bullet and placement, for the job👍

If you intend to go the high velocity magnum route. The 7 SAUM would be my first choice.

Marlin 1895 guide gun in .45/70?
What would I know, we don't have elk in Australia :ROFLMAO:.
Winner. Pics from hunting Roosevelt elk a few months ago carrying my 400 and below elk rifle... If it's for under 400 does it even need glass?
Can't find pics of the other elk rifles, the 30-30,25-06 and 308 for the big bodied Rosie's.

Attachments

• IMG_20211106_100723.jpg
    IMG_20211106_100723.jpg
    767.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 8436.jpeg
    8436.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 175
Hawk, the 300 Winchester and 338 magnum are universally used in the Pacific North West. I raised American Bison as a young man and butchered many of them on farm. The 35 Whelan was surprisingly effective, even more so than the 338. For relatively short range I expect the same would be true for Bull elk. I standardized on the 375 and 375 Improved after trying 257, 300 and 460 Weatherby, 54 muzzle loader, 30-06 AP, 338, 35 Whelan, 416 Hoffman (thats dating me), and the 375's. I used Nosler partitions and Bitterroots (the first bonded bullet) mostly. I would not consider 400 yards close range however! I know that I would need a scope.

My lightweight rifle is a 7 SAUM w/ a 22" bart carbon bbl in a light xlr chassis. Weighs 8.1 lbs w/ scope. I'm pushing berg 180 vld at 2860. I've killed several MT bulls out to 650yds. High shoulder shots and dropped right there. I won't shoot an elk past the range where energy drops below 1700 ft lbs. This rifle gets me to almost 850 yards at my elevation before the energy drops below 1700. The 7 Saum is just a really efficient cartridge.

.308 would be enough with the right load. That cartridge would also play nice with a 20" barrel and it would go well with a lighter rifle.

If you want more power and you're already loading for 7 SAUM then I'd go with that and not worry about it. You're really not asking too much of this rifle ballistically speaking. If you feel the .308 is underpowered then just go up one step in any direction. The 7 SAUM would provide more power, but so would also a handloaded .30-06, or a .300 WSM or any of the options mentioned above. What you seem to want in the rifle is something shorter and handier, and that's why I'd lean towards a lighter recoiling cartridge. Short action is nice but really it's just one of many factors that drive the weight up. A .30-06 based cartridge would for example let you use a hinged floorplate magazine that could be lighter than an AICS setup. The lower recoil could also let you go with a lighter barrel profile.

Really, what you're looking for is a normal hunting rifle instead of the long range specialized rifles usually touted on this page.

I thought you said you wanted a short barrel? I’ve got a 16” 308 that drives 178’s fast enough to keep them in stable flight to at least 1000 yards. I’m sure it will kill any “big bull” I may get an opportunity at. For 300 yards or less you could sbr that thing and run a 12.5” barrel and still kill whatever roams the Rocky Mountain region with ease assuming a decent shot placement. Save yourself the weight of that musket you’re talking about. Don’t overcomplicate it. Go short or go home :)
This. 308 or 6.5 PRC in short barrel will kill anything out to 500.

For a very similar application, I went 16.25" 300 SAUM.

I'm running 130 Barnes TTSX at 2750 fps, 165 Speer SPBT at 2870 fps and 190 SMK at 2675 fps.

It's easily my favorite rifle to shoot and the one I grab when hunting season kicks off.