• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short Barrelled 7WSM

19Scout77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2007
GA
I picked up an extra 7wsm with a 27" MTU contour (aka telephone pole)and I'm thinking about doing a little trimming. I've already got a 24" 7WSM in the way, and I was contemplating going real short with the extra 22" or god forbid 20".

While I recognize I risk loosing a bunch of velocity, I'm not particularly worried as this is an extra.

Anyone have any experience with short barrelled magnums? TIA

Re: Short Barrelled 7WSM

What are the specs on your 24in 7wsm?

my 7wsm is 24in and i really wound not want it any shorter.

and no matter how short you cut it that mtu is going to be a beast. what about having the mtu fluted, wwww.kampfeldcustom.com this guy can spiral flute it and save probably a pound or more of weight.

Its a FN SPR with a 9 twist rock.

Kampfeld does great work! Shaved a bunch off my .308. I just don't want another fluted barrel. One is unique--Two is GAWDY!!

Good suggestion though, thanks.

I think a 20" with a brake would be a hoot--like setting off a couple m80s two feet from your head!

I had a 20 inch 300 win mag I loved. Which I shot out to 1000 with factory hunting ammo. The problem is that you can't take many shots with a brake on it. You feel like your being punted in the head. If your just hunting with it. Then you will be fine.

Maybe it'll knock some sense into my thick skull!

I just sold a GAP 300wsm it had a 20" with a thruster brake and it would shoot 1/2" 200yard groups consistantly. I loved it and i am going to get another one this fall.

If your going to go that short you should just go to a 7mm-08, becasue all that extra powder in the WSM case will go to waste, won't be enough barrel to burn it all.

Ok ended up fluting the hell out of it! Has anybody actually tried a 22" 7wsm? I see remington now has a factory one!

I'd really like to be 24" total with the Thruster brake.

My next rifle- will be another 24". I have one factory 24" coyote, 27", and I picked up a bolt and rock barrel here that will finish at 24" with setback.