• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

short bbl shooting 155 scenar too slow...

oliver166

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2010
Ft. Riley, KS
Need help to get the 155 scenar running faster out of my AI AE MKII 20" 1-12 twist barrel. Muzzle velocity @ 2790 fps when loading:

46.9 of Varget
Lapua brass
cci BR-2 primers
OAL 2.825 inches.

If I had to guess I would assume I have to change powders, if so any suggestions? But I'm not an expert, so maybe someone with more experience can help me out. Thank guys

Re: short bbl shooting 155 scenar too slow...

Definetly change powders ,your maxed out on your Varget load. Though some guys here go up to 48 gns Varget on an Ai Aw I don't recommend you copy. Get imr xbr start at 44.5 go up to 45.8 you'll see 2850 fps or so. Also h4895 at around 45.3 gns gave me 2865 fps in my 20" Trg . Work up load looking for signs of pressures. I only use Varget for my 175gn bullets ,and xbr for the 155s.

I would switch to Winchester brass. I ran into the same problem with Lapua brass, switched to Winchester and got them to over 2900.

Winchester brass and RL17 will get you more case capacity and more speed without increasing pressure.