• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Short Dot Shoot Out ! Mk 8 CQBSS vs S&B 1-8x

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    This week I was able to compare the Leupold Mk 8 CQBSS to the S&B Short Dot 1-8x.

Mounting both scopes in QD Mounts they were attached to my GAP 10 and put through a series of events from 100 yards to 500m. We zeroed them up and once that was done we moved them on and off video taping the results.

This is a long video and could have been split up into two, but this shows the meat of the results. I wasn't able to include the everything, but most of it is there. We didn't do any destructive testing, nothing abusive so only activities from zero to shots at distance after moving each on and off no less than 3x a piece.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PxHWCDP2msE?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I managed through the scope shots so you can see the sight the picture down range, and any mistakes encountered where included, edited but barely. Hopefully this will let you see both as I did.

One day each is not very long to use a scope. The S&B Short dot is on loan so I only limited time with it. Leupold was able to supply their scope for much longer.

<span style="font-weight: bold">UPDATED*** </span>

Daylight visible Red (circle ) Dot is available with the Mk 8

SH_FLG_mk8-1.jpg

SH_FLG_mk8-3.jpg

Re: Short Dot Shoot Out ! Mk 8 CQBSS vs S&B 1-8x

Great review, finally a head to head on these two scopes.

Frank ,

first of all thanks a lot for the very good review but , if the CQBSS needs a RDS piggybacked to be effective at CQB engagement distances , tell me why someone 'd buy it , where is the advantage of the 1.1x with that poor reticle illumination ?

Not speaking about that unbelievable and silly price , USD 1.400,00 more than the excellent S&B , just saying .....

Stay safe,
    PP out

Good video.

Frank, whats the verdict on the Leupold turret locking system and the possibilty of getting dirt/dust/ect. in behind the scissor release portion hindering the unlock operation.

I enjoyed that, thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pinco Palla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank ,

first of all thanks a lot for the very good review but , if the CQBSS needs a RDS piggybacked to be effective at CQB engagement distances , tell me why someone 'd buy it , where is the advantage of the 1.1x with that poor reticle illumination ?

Not speaking about that unbelievable and silly price , USD 1.400,00 more than the excellent S&B , just saying .....

Stay safe,
    PP out
    </div></div>

There is a couple reasons for this, and as always these are just my opinions.

First, this optic is the USMC model, which is designed for the machine gun contract, so I don't know if it was designed like the for a reason. For all I know the army one is different.

I have used ones with a group that had a Horus in it, even worse in my opinion. Except possibly in the context I used it as a DMR scope. In this roll, as a support rifle like the, Mk 11 / EMC16" it was excellent. I used it on an HK416. I brought my Mk12 never got to it. But will in the future.

I suppose with practice I could hit a room, and since I have the Leupold long I can see.

For the majority of readers out there, te S&B is a probably a better buy. However as I said I found my overall accuracy better with the Mk8. Now the day before the people I was with liked the Short Dot better simple because of the CC setting and the Flash dot. Nothing else was noted, so really they liked it from 3x down. My thought, isn't that what the 1-4x is for.

The Short Dot is very good, typical S&B, no doubt. But I had to really work at hitting thing precise. Shooting fast was no problem, everything about it went to speed, and the 2- way illumination is excellent. But the reticle was a bit thin, and the mils a bit hard to see.

Honestly, I can go either way, I also have Docters on my Elcans, especially my 1.5-6x. I find it fast. So some could ask, why not use that system for less money. I really tried not to figure the money in to this review. If it was based on that the average shooter is out with both. Anything over $2k for an 8x optic is a bit silly. Practically speaking. The RMR is easy and makes that system awesome, I had it already so it cost me nothing extra. I could easily review it without and gloss past the door kicking part.
    smile.gif

Years ago S&B built me a 1.5-6x it was $1200 less than the Short Dot now, FFP with the old Short Dot turrets. So why charge that much more for 2x?

The dirt question,

No looks fine ther, either have the same odds, they both move.

Great review

LL, a question regarding the S&B. How sensitive is it with regards to eye/head position? Do you need to have the head perfectly behind the scope in order to avoid shifts in POI?
    For 3-gunning/IPSC the Zeiss 1-4x varipoint had an advantage over the 1-4x ShortDot in that area. The Zeiss was a lot more forgiving.

If you lower the power to CC it changes the parallax so it should avoid shifts. I found the eye box very forgiving so I think it would be good for a 3-gun shooter.

Neither have a parallax adjustment, but the S&B has a parallax change, that should solve it. The S&B has a better FOV at lower powers, so like I said, inside 4x and close in, it is a better choice.

LL, I want to ask you about the "scissor" turret adjustments on the Leupy. Since these are going to be adjusted a bunch is it your feeling they are up to the task? Call me old school, but more moving pieces makes me a bit nervous.

Nice review by the way, thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hamr56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LL, I want to ask you about the "scissor" turret adjustments on the Leupy. Since these are going to be adjusted a bunch is it your feeling they are up to the task? Call me old school, but more moving pieces makes me a bit nervous.

Nice review by the way, thanks.</div></div>

It's built strong, the whole scope is a tank.

I think you gave a very accurate review on these scopes. The turret lock on the Leupold is ingenious and so simple, I'm surprised no one else thought of it first. For me, the big point against the Leupold is the lack of capability at close distances, but like you said, for a DMR role it's perfect.

I personally would have more use for either the S&B or the Premier depending on how well the latter turns out in its production model, but the Leupold would be in consideration for me if I knew I would never use it at less than 100 yards.

I didn't get to it, but I will moving forward, I have a Mk12 here, and I think the Mk 8 will excel on that system. I will also work with it in the Carbine Bay to see how it works minus the red dot. I know the S&B will, but I will go beyond with the Mk 8 to see if it is really a liability inside 100.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7.62willdo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What mount do you have the leupold in??</div></div>

Name is right on the side of it ... LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7.62willdo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">went to their website didnt find the mount...</div></div>

That is a prototype, I think there are a couple running around, like 3 in public hands. The rest are playing around with the military. How about that return to zero at the end though, like a mirror ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7.62willdo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thought it seemed to good to be true...do you know if their going to release them to us "common" folk?
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

yes once it is finalized I know they will, they were just asking about dealers this week.

Very good review Frank and Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

What's your take on the reasoning behind a 34mm tube for an optic that max's out at 8X? Seemingly, there's not a huge requirement for excess elevation and the availability of QD mounts in 34mm is limited.

I enjoyed the review and found it very informative. However, I couldn't see the reticle very clearly on the S&B and also was interested in seeing what the 2 types of illumination looked like individually.

I have to say, it seems to be making a difference (going to 34mm)

Best example I can give is the XM2010 I have here, compared to the Mk 4 version of the same scope. Both 6.5-20x, Mil / Mil, but one has the locking turrets and 34mm the other M1 turrets and 30mm. The Mk 4 was a complete yawn, nothing to set it apart other than Leupold finally adding .1 Mil turrets. The XM2010, pops and pulls you in.

I really can't explain it, inside it is essentially the same thing. However the glass being used today, the coatings, something must be pulling more although this goes against common wisdom on the subject.

Luckily I have the Mk 8 for a bit longer so I am going to go out and do more with it. I think I may have mistakenly short changed it on the flat base, but I will check, as I just moved it to a Spuhr Mount and it seems to have more elevation all of the sudden like I didn't reset the turret correctly ? I can't say but I will definitely dig deeper.

I returned the Short Dot today and talking to them about it, we agree for a combat optic, especially in an urban situation where you are going inside the door and not on top of the house, as well for 3-gunners, the S&B was the winner. But it was so close, to say we were a bit torn is an understatement. Now consider that, comparing a Leupold to a S&B and not being able to clearly say, the S&B was the absolute winner. We found that encouraging as I do using the XM2010.

Color me crazy, but I would recommend 34mm to more people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dfsutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I enjoyed the review and found it very informative. However, I couldn't see the reticle very clearly on the S&B and also was interested in seeing what the 2 types of illumination looked like individually.</div></div>

That is because it is so thin... the camera couldn't focus on it.

When I returned the scope today, I mentioned the mils and how they were hard to see and use. The person in charge of the scope said, "it had mils" because he never noticed it. The flash dot was more important.

The other side of the illumination is just a very small cross (x) in the center that is lit. Nothing crazy, just the middle lights and it is FFP. The Flash Dot is much more useful.

That makes sense and I've only had the opportunity to use a S&B 1-8 for a short time. I liked the lighter weight and with QD mount availability in the lower heights, use on the bolt rifle was great, as I could stay down on the gun, but I agree the reticle is a bit thin. I have a 1.5-6 FlashDot and it's a nice optic as well.

Hopefully, I'll get my hands on the Leupold pretty soon.

I thought Leupold were coming out with a day light visible illuminated reticle for the CQBSS? If not, as another poster already mentioned, I can't see the point in the 1.1 power setting. It's a lot of money to spend on a scope that doesn't have that feature.

You might be better served using a much lighter and shorter scope like the NF 2.5-10x24 with an RMR offset on an OBR type rifle:

DSC04510.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Leupold were coming out with a day light visible illuminated reticle for the CQBSS? If not, as another poster already mentioned, I can't see the point in the 1.1 power setting. It's a lot of money to spend on a scope that doesn't have that feature.</div></div>

I believe I mentioned this was the USMC Machine gun contract version of the scope, I have no idea if there are other versions, but this is the one they sent. So whether or not there is daylight visible version I don't know. I can only Review and Compare what I have in my hand. Speculating on what I don't know doesn't serve the purpose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Leupold were coming out with a day light visible illuminated reticle for the CQBSS? If not, as another poster already mentioned, I can't see the point in the 1.1 power setting. It's a lot of money to spend on a scope that doesn't have that feature.</div></div>

I believe I mentioned this was the USMC Machine gun contract version of the scope, I have no idea if there are other versions, but this is the one they sent. So whether or not there is daylight visible version I don't know. I can only Review and Compare what I have in my hand. Speculating on what I don't know doesn't serve the purpose. </div></div>

Didn't Leupold have a flash-dot version of the CQBSS at this year's or last year's Shot Show. I really thought this feature was one of its main USPs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Leupold were coming out with a day light visible illuminated reticle for the CQBSS? If not, as another poster already mentioned, I can't see the point in the 1.1 power setting. It's a lot of money to spend on a scope that doesn't have that feature.</div></div>

I believe I mentioned this was the USMC Machine gun contract version of the scope, I have no idea if there are other versions, but this is the one they sent. So whether or not there is daylight visible version I don't know. I can only Review and Compare what I have in my hand. Speculating on what I don't know doesn't serve the purpose. </div></div>

Didn't Leupold have a flash-dot version of the CQBSS at this year's or last year's Shot Show. I really thought this feature was one of its main USPs. </div></div>

They had a version with an illuminated circle that is visible in daylight. That's what I saw at SHOT. I can't recall all the details. It's not bad, but I found that target acquisition was faster with the S&B and Premier 1-8x prototypes that I examined. However, now that actual models are for sale, you can't make a judgment until you try the production models.

The Leupold Website only shows the model I have with the M-TMR reticle, and the only other version of this I have personally used had a Horus in it.

They have the CM-R reticle but it doesn't appear to be offered in the Mk 8 at present.

So if you had the choice between two similar scopes in terms of price and power range but one of the scopes had an illuminated flash dot type reticle for quick close up target acquisition work, which scope would you choose?

Without a flash-dot type reticle when would you use the 1.1 power setting on an OBR or similar type rifle? I guess the Leupold can't be called a short-dot type scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if you had the choice between two similar scopes in terms of price and power range but one of the scopes had an illuminated flash dot type reticle for quick close up target acquisition work, which scope would you choose?

Without a flash-dot type reticle when would you use the 1.1 power setting on an OBR or similar type rifle?
    </div></div>

It depends are you going in the front door or climbing on to the roof. Do you plan on shooting 3 gun, or are you the spotter for the precision rifle guy ?

Missions matter, Clearly you can use 1.1x as configured for movement in an urban area, and as I said, I will spend more time to work with the Leupold to see just how much of a liability it is.

You're asking for a decision based on 4 hours at the range comparing these, the S&B is already out of my hands. I got a whole day with them both, that meant, zeroing, filming testing and doing everything myself. I actually brought my Mk 12 with me and never got to it.

Seems to me, you all want a Gucci M4 and not necessarily a dynamic precision rifle ... Every bit of discussion is based on kicking a door with it, if that was the case, I have a PROM that absolutely returns to zero. I have a Elcan, or an Aimpoint with a GDI mount that does the same> I can easily mount my T1 Micro with my GDI, kick in a door with my Leupold zeroed in my pack, move to the roof, swap optics and know I can hit to 800m with it so problem solved. I also have the RMR, problem solved, the question is, will 90% of my shots be taken in a room or on a PACT Timer, or will I be required to make that 1 hit as fast as possible no matter what. I can't make YOUR decision for you, I can only give you what I saw while I looked at it...

This is exactly why I usually spend a month or 2 with an optic and not 4 hours, because everyone want to know, "which would you pick and why"... I already said, both are good, and if you wanted speed use the S&B, if you wanted precision the Leupold.

I know evaluation work takes time, and you guys do one of the best jobs, but I suppose to me it seems that the added feature of the flash-dot whether you use it or not is just nice to have. Surely it makes the scope a lot more versatile irrespective of use. You have two optics in one with the S&B, but not with the Leupold with its current reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know evaluation work takes time, and you guys do one of the best jobs, but I suppose to me it seems that the added feature of the flash-dot whether you use it or not is just nice to have. Surely it makes the scope a lot more versatile irrespective of use. You have two optics in one with the S&B, but not with the Leupold with its current reticle.</div></div>

That is your opinion, so run with it... I personally haven't found the need to that degree, and I can tell you the only time use a Red Dot is with my M4s, maybe if I wanted to run my 308 that way it would be very useful, but I find my GAP10 a bit pricey to run like that.

However if the need rose, I have an RMR, a Delta Point, a Docter, and a Zeiss RSA-S, so as long as I can mount any one of these alongside my primary optic regardless of power, I feel I am covered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    When I returned the scope today, I mentioned the mils and how they were hard to see and use. The person in charge of the scope said, "it had mils" because he never noticed it. The flash dot was more important.
    </div></div>

Can you describe how heavy or lite the reticle is in relation to a 1-4 Short Dot? If it is a lot lighter, and it is all about the dot on an 8x, that statement on face would seem counter intuitive. For one I thought the flash dot was in the second plane - so it stays a constant size - correct?

Seems like they would thin out the 1-4. I start to have problems ranging an IPSC torso and slight variances in wind holds with the 1-4x beyond 600 b/c the stadia is fat. Regardless of stadia width, that 5 MOA dot burns through.

For me it is simple - the dot stays at 10.5 when the optic is on 4x. At 1x the dot is on. Those are the only two relevant settings to me.

Good luck

I thought the CQBSS had 10 mil/turn elevation knobs and two turns (with the stop disengaged)? Is that the Marine (?) machine gun version that might be set up differently?

The illumination works in both the FFP and SFP... you can use the Flash Dot which is one size in the SFP, or you can us the lit cross in the FFP.

The reticle is light, <span style="font-style: italic">(read thin)</span> think NF thin that is FFP. The reason you can't see it, the camera could not focus on it. The mil dots themselves are pretty small, you have to be deliberate to see use them.

I would venture a person using it would constantly use the Flash dot, and not necessarily the reticle in this case. Unfortunately I have loaned out my Short Dot 1-4x and it is has been ages since I used it, so my frame of reference is not working too well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FromMyColdDeadHa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the CQBSS had 10 mil/turn elevation knobs and two turns (with the stop disengaged)? Is that the Marine (?) machine gun version that might be set up differently?</div></div>

Don't go by my video, the CQBSS has 10 mils a single turn and there was operator error with the scope so when it stopped at 5 mils that was my fault. There was no manual when I got it, so I think I made a mistake with it. When I swapped it yesterday all the mils were there, I had to move the turret and re-tighten it. It has plenty of elevation the 5 mils was my fault, not the scope.

As I said, trying to rush things because I only had a day with the S&B, I was bound to fuck up and I honestly think I did here with it.

Isn’t S&B offering the short-dot with two different reticle types? Also the Leupold pinch locking turret system which you say you prefer, how susceptible do you think the pinch rings are to dirt and sand ingression?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn’t S&B offering the short-dot with two different reticle types? Also the Leupold pinch locking turret system which you say you prefer, how susceptible do you think the pinch rings are to dirt and sand ingression?</div></div>

I already answered that.

In the video or in the text above?

In the text,

Both have the same risk of any dirt and it would have to be very fine powdery dirt at that. The Leupold is one of the most bullet proof builds from them I have ever seen. And I don't see a risk with dirt. In the video you can see where it appeared the lock was closed on the S&B but the turret moved so I had to reset and re-establish the lock because it actually wasn't fully seated even though it acted that way.

The S&B should be a bit faster because you can leave it unlocked, but the Leupold is pretty intuitive when you grab it you are pretty much unlocking it.

Do you have pricing on the S&B yet? Also can you divulge what level of interest your getting for the two scopes from customers. In other words do you think the Leupold is going to outsell the S&B or vica versa?

I don't sell scopes so I have no idea what you are talking about.

The Leupold is actually out and has been, and I know they are selling, the S&B is not yet widely available. I have heard prices on the S&B but I am not going to repeat any numbers as I am usually wrong.

Contact a real dealer, that's not me.

Apologies for some strange reason I thought you were with CS Tactical.

GREAT job Frank on the video. The S&B has a good field of view at low power and also the lit dot would be good in CQB.

It is also good to know that Leupold is coming around and making a much better scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The S&B should be a bit faster because you can leave it unlocked, but the Leupold is pretty intuitive when you grab it you are pretty much unlocking it.
    </div></div>

Frank I wonder how the leupold knobs would work with gloves?

Frank,

Could you expand a bit on the 'parallax' change that happens with the S&B at 1x? I see in your video how the image 'surges' and then settles down at 1x- but what is happening, and why did S&B engineer it this way? The Leupy doesn't do it, and I haven't heard of the other 1x-BIGx scopes do it either?

THX

Great review frank, do you think that the Mk 8 with the Horus would be a good DMR choice on a SCAR 17?