• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short headspace?

SB545

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
I have a prefit barrel that came up short on my go gauge. I can't close the bolt on the go gauge but can on my dummy rounds. Factory ammo will likely not be shot in this chamber but the couple factory rounds I checked would all chamber.

Would you shoot this barrel?

I wouldn’t do anything with it until I talked to whoever did the work on the barrel. Do you have any other rifles in the same cartridge that you can double check your go gauge in to make sure it’s not an issue with the gauge?

Reactions: SB545
I wouldn’t do anything with it until I talked to whoever did the work on the barrel. Do you have any other rifles in the same cartridge that you can double check your go gauge in to make sure it’s not an issue with the gauge?

I have checked it on a factory Tikka in the same cartridge. I've been using a ptg go gauge with .003 tape on the back for a no go.
I have talked to the owner of the barrel mfg and he said to send it back with the action. I don't want to get into all the details here but this is the second barrel they've sent me and this one came in closing on the no-go plus .002. they took .006 off instead of the .003 necessary to put it in spec. As it stands this should keep my brass stretch to a minimum and with everything chambering I'd prefer to give it a try. The owner said he'd be fine if I shot it and still wanted to return it later.

Damn,, Sounds like they screwed up twice!

How far down does your bolt handle go before it stops on the cartridge when closing? If it is 75+% cloaed I would probably shoot it. I would also make sure I didn't use that smith or company again for prefit barrels.

Reactions: larryh128
Damn,, Sounds like they screwed up twice!

How far down does your bolt handle go before it stops on the cartridge when closing? If it is 75+% cloaed I would probably shoot it. I would also make sure I didn't use that smith or company again for prefit barrels.
Not far at all. I get about 20-25 degrees out of the 70 degree throw.

I'd personally look at it over the long run.

If this is a competition 6mm gun that will get a new barrel in 1 year anyway its alot easier to deal with a "reloads only" barrel. If this is a 308 or 5.56 that migh have a longer shelf-life, and your life situation my change over time, etc... keeping factory ammo options are a bigger consideration.

Factory ammo will likely not be shot in this chamber but the couple factory rounds I checked would all chamber.
Factory ammo tends to be a couple thou under min-spec chamber for this very reason. But if OEM is trying for 2 thou under min spec and cannot hold close tolerances, you get the problems you are alluding to. Have seen this just with normal min-spec chambers.

Reactions: SB545
Factory ammo tends to be a couple thou under min-spec chamber for this very reason. But if OEM is trying for 2 thou under min spec and cannot hold close tolerances, you get the problems you are alluding to. Have seen this just with normal min-spec chambers.

Fortunately for me it's hard to find good 270wsm ammo. That leaves reloading which I plan to do as long as the brass holds up.

I'll put a few light loads together and see how she shoots. Hopefully I get to it this weekend but the snow might make it tough. All my good shooting spots are still under multiple feet of snow. Guess I need to pull out the skis.