• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SHORT PIG0311-GS Field Tripod

AMTeam4

O317
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2011
Kansas City
stores.hogsaddle.com
This is our new PIG0311-GS SHORT tripod. Made specifically for coyote and deer hunters who primarily hunt from sitting & kneeling positions. This SHORT tripod packs smaller and sheds a pound of weight, compared to the standard PIG0311-G full size tripod model.
If you don't anticipate taking a standing shot on an animal, then there is no need to carry a larger/heavier tripod. Pack light, pack smart.

Compared to a four section carbon fiber tripod, the weight & folded length specs are very competitive.
The PIG0311-GS SHORT tripod should make a great pack companion for those who hunt off of hillsides or out of deer blinds.

Folded length 19.75"
Extended length 39.5"
26lbs load rating
Weight 4.75 lbs

Info Link: SHORT PIG0311-GS

1529598263660.jpeg

1529598300995.jpeg

1529598334150.jpeg

1529598377358.jpeg

Huh. Those wraps are a pretty slick idea (short tripod too). :)

Very cool setup. Any chance you could give us an idea of max working height with a direct pig saddle mount and the column not extended?

I can’t imagine I’m the only one that would be interested in purchasing this under the premise that the center column would never be raised for any reason.

Very cool setup. Any chance you could give us an idea of max working height with a direct pig saddle mount and the column not extended?

I can’t imagine I’m the only one that would be interested in purchasing this under the premise that the center column would never be raised for any reason.

You'd be looking at 36.75 inches with PIG Saddle direct mounted. Center column not extended.

A quick follow up.... I got one of these tripods, along with a pig saddle direct mounted. After having a chance to use it, I think it's a pretty good affordable option for practical field hunting use.

Previously, I had the tall version with a RRS leveling base and direct rifle mounts. While I thought it worked okay, I just never could get comfortable with standing shots out past 300 yards. As such, the extra weight and expense just wasn't worth it for me.

This shorter version is indeed compact enough to keep strapped to the side of your day pack. A bit heavy, but doable for the price. From a seated position with a large lightweight support bag, I was able to make good hits on steel at 600 yards. I was also able to put my Leica binoculars in the saddle and spot for other shooters effectively. This tripod is a good solution for adding some field capability while you're hunting, for a minimal investment you add the ability to make supported shots from seated and kneeling positions.

Reactions: AMTeam4
Follow up #2: made a few improvements to the set up. The Pig Saddle was working okay, but it was a bit awkward and lacked the speed needed for quick adjustments. Mounted a Abel Table to the top. With a Game Changer or Fortune Cookie type bag on the table, everything appears to be just as stable and a bit faster to set up.

Also, I wanted to remove the center column. I don't really need any extra height for seated and kneeling positions, it isn't very stable when extended and I've had problems with it spinning when I don't want it to spin. I was able to remove the column and find a fender washer that would fit between the male threaded "apex" column and the green female threaded cap that screws down on top of it. From there I added a bolt with a lock washer for a mounting stud. This allowed me to mount the Abel Table direct to the tripod without having the center column.

Last edited: