• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship short range shooting

farrier

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2011
NY
Shooting a .308 with a Leup. 6.5-20X50 ERT. Every comp seems to have at least one stage at ultra short range, 15-25 feet, sometimes high angle. Is there a way to focus on a target at that distance. I've got the dope figured out but I'm shooting at a blur and just trying to hold center.
Thanks, Mike

Re: short range shooting

Why do you think you need a sharp target? With a center of mass hold is it not possible to understand the location of the target's center whether the target is blurred or defined? In other words, why would blurred hinder a good hit? The answer is it does not. The important thing is that the reticle is sharp. With a sharp reticle you will understand exactly where the barrel is pointed, which is what the sight is all about. The only thing that needs focusing here is your mindset.

If you're really worried about it and depending on your particular match's rules, you could always think about something like a micro-dot on either a picatinny or scope-tube mounted 45 degree off-set mount.

Assuming you are talking about short ranges with medium to high power scopes.

The USAMU LE Counter Sniper guide covers this, as we know LE sniping is at relatively short ranges compared to military sniping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know the location of the target, so again, keep your eyes on the target snd simply place the scope in between your eye and the target. That is all there is to it. Practice in handling and pointing of your rifle will allow one to pace his shots within a few inches of the center of the target. Again, let us remind you that its not necessary to look into the center of the eyepiecee as long as you can see your target and redicle, the rifle will be pointe at the aiming point of the reticle.</div></div>

The higher power of scopes means less field of view. We've all done it. We see a target and then try to find the target in the scope. We end up doing exactly what I quoted. We drop the rifle, stir at the target and then bring the scope up to our eyes.

This method works pretty dern good if you're talking about speed.

I proved this to our department when we were trying to come up with a policy for carrying patrol rifles. A group of us instructors were sent to an NRA LE Rifle Instructors course. Our chief range office wasn't what you call a rifle shooter, he came in dead last in the shooting test.

So he writes a rifle qualification course with a max range of 25 yards. I thought that was rather silly. But with his short rifle with iron sights he could qualify, yet many of those using scopes couldn't because of the time restraints.

I shot his course with my LE Sniper rifle, a Rem 700 BDL Varmint with a Redfield 6X scope. From the muzzle to 25 yards normally it would have been difficult to find the target with a 6X, but using the method in the AMU LE Sniper Guide (as quoted) I was not only able to out shoot those with iron sights but I did it faster.

You're not going to be able to clean the NRA or ISU 50ft targets but you'll get hits at 15-20 feet on the targets used in 3 gun type matches.

Again I'm not talking about precission rifle shooting, I'm talking fast hits on targets at extremely close range with a scoped rifle. This also works for quick shots and close range wile hunting.

Thanks to all for replies. You all havemade good points and I appreciate the input.
Mike