• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short-Stroking with Wilson Combat 308 Super Sniper. Weird Problem

ekoutsav

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2022
Hello everyone. I am new here.

I recently purchased a new WC 308 Super Sniper, 20in gun. I am wondering if people more knowledgeable than me can help explain what is going on here.

I added an area 419 muzzle break and a Magpul PRS stock. The scope I am using is a Schmidt-Bender PMII 5-25. Spuhr mount, QD.

Here is the issue:

The gun is short-stroking when the scope is on the gun. Take the scope off and it works perfectly. Put the scope on and the bolt hits the round on the side, as the round is pushed up from the magazine.

I have lossened up the scope mount's QD screws. I thought it might be that there were too tight on the pic rail and causing some structural deformation preventing the bolt to move freely. No change in the behavior. I moved the scope on the handguard rail (obviously unacceptable position but only for the test). No change in the behavior.

The gun was sent back to WC who tested it without a scope (did not send the scope, they did not bother putting one on) and they said everything is fine.

I have heard about short-stroking because of faulty gas blocks, wrong buffer tubes/spring combinations, bolt issues etc. but never before have I heard/read that you place a scope on the gun and this results in short stroking.

Please let me know what you think is causing this and potential remedies. Installing an adjustable gas block is a potential solution but my dealer said he cannot guarantee that it will solve the issue 100%.

Thanks.

Interesting. I've heard of this with pistols that have optics on the slide, never a rifle.

I had to send my super sniper 20 inch barrel back as it was headspaced wrong, then i get it back and wouldn't cycle. I had to open the gas hole

My 6mm Creedmoor Wilson pierced primers constantly. Adjustable gas block, configured buffer, HP BCG nothing worked. Finally got tired of dealing with it and rebarreled to 6.5 Creedmoor Proof Carbon. No problems now

How many rounds through the rifle ? ( In other words is it broke in )
Wilsons tend to have tight chambers from my reading.
And it is possible, you are running the ragged edge on the firearms weight, in respect to its function.
Another forum had a guy that couldn't get his Large Frame AR to function 100% , it also short stroked.
He sent his in, the factory told him it was fine.
Long story short, the owner was a much lighter person than the guy at the factory doing the testing.
The large guy ( more total mass ) absorbed the cycling differently than the smaller owner.