• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short Throat .308

Bronco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2006
Kansas
A friend of mine brought over his new to him .308 bolt gun built by a well known builder of top end rifles. Great looking rifle with all the necessities, he says it shoots tight little bug hole groups.

In the course of our discussion about the rifle I ask so what bullet does it like and what seating depth are you using. Well so far just factory ammo, it likes 168 SMK best but he plans to use 175 SMK reloads. Would he like to know oal of round to engage lands, well of course he would. I used a stony point gauge and measured with both 175 SMK and 155 Lapua. Here is what we found.

175 SMK 2.755
155 Lapua 2.780

We remeasured with each as I didn't think it could be that short. Came up with same numbers.

My question, is this to short? It obviously works ok from his description of groups, my concern is what about jacking out a unshot round. Might it stick in the lands and have to be poked out with cleaning rod or such?

Re: Short Throat .308

Some of the Palma chambers are 2.275 OAL. If the well known builder gets his reamers from a well known manufacturer he might need to check them out.