• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing short throat 6.5 creedmore reamer

Longshot38

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
Montgomery, TX
Just wonder if anybody has such a reamer. I'm looking to convert my DPMS into a 6.5 creedmore that I can run 140 VLDs at magazine length. I have already sent an email to PTG but I'd rather not have to purchase a set of reamers if I don't have to.

Re: short throat 6.5 creedmore reamer

I have spoke with Dave Kiff about this at PTG. What I was told was that the current throat was designed to keep pressure down on factory ammo. I think a 140 A-max will touch the lands at around 2.840", so the 140 Bergers will be longer. The standard reamer and factory ammo shoot well, so I think most builders are happy with that set up.

Let me know if you want to pursue the project, maybe I will split it with you.

Mark

Mark thank you for the response. This is certainly a project that I'm going to pursue and in the near future. Right now I'm waiting on a response from Krieger to see if they can chamber a barrel to my liking. If not them I guess I'm stuck with purchasing a set of reamers.

What kind of dimensions are we talking vs. a normal reamer?

M.Gordon you said the 140a max will load shorter any idea if the 142 smk would also? thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308and300wbymag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M.Gordon you said the 140a max will load shorter any idea if the 142 smk would also? thanks </div></div>

I will have to check my notes, I believe I only have COAL's for the 140 A-max, 140 SMK and the 139 Scenar.

Mark

Alright so after a couple of emails between several companies this is what I have so far. With a typical reamer running a 140 gain Berger VLD bullet loaded to 2.800 I would have about .0500 jump. Which normally doesn't set well with VLD bullets. But the recommendation from PTG is to get a 6.5 creadmore reamer with 0 freebore then add in a throater so I can cut the throat to length. So it looks like I'll be buy a reamer.

Have you seated a 140 VLD in 6.5 CM case to see how much bearing surface protrudes from case?

FCS I have not done the math or loaded any ammunition. But the upside to short throating a chamber like that is that if it doesn't work then all I have to do is cut a longer throat if need be.

VLDs will take jump, 0.050" isn't as bad as you have been lead to believe. 1K line at Capaitan several years back a buddy was short rounds to finish match, he used some of my ammo loaded with JLK VLDs. Held 1 MOA or better (he was inside of F-class 10 ring for vertical) at 1K and IIRC, when we talked chamber dims afterwards those bullets were jumping well over 0.150".

I've tinkered with VLDs in gas gun some in the past. I run SMK, Scenar, A-max in gassers and leave the VLDs to bolt rifles. One issue is you are seated deep in case, kind puts you between powders: unable to get enough of slower burning powder in case to get velocity you expect, quicker burn rate powder pressures up before getting to desired velocity.

You are correct, can always throat it out. I'll seat a 140 VLD into 6.5CM case, see how much bearing surface is out of case.

FCS you are correct that VLDs can perform well with a jump but it is more of an exception then a rule of thumb. But my fear is that I get the chamber cut and then I can't get the accuracy I'm after without loading longer then magazine length. Thus the short throat.

My goal here is be able to load one bullet in any 6.5 gun I have and the Berger 140 grain hunting VLD meets all my needs. Ultimately I'm going to build this upper and then turn around and have a bolt rifle built also. But I want to run the same bullet in both rifles.

Just looked at both 140 A-max and 140 Berger VLD @ 2.800" OAL.

No reason I can see that you shouldn't be able to make standard 6.5 CM reamer/chamber work just fine.

If you get a reamer made, plenty of bearing surface sticking out of 6.5 CM with 140 VLD @ 2.800" OAL. I'd spec a freebore dimension and call it good.

Expect about 1 to 1.5 gr less case capacity with 140 VLD seated to 2.800" compared to 140 A-max.