• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shortdot whacked?

Liberalgundummy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2021
San Francisco
Been waiting better part of the last three months for this s&b short dot dual cc to arrive. Setting it up, checking it out, and I notice the ‘dot’ is just so slightly left of the reticle tree. Can’t tell at magnification but at 1x it looks just off to the left, tried my best to capture it with the picture. Is this explained by the parallax shift under 1x? Wanna make sure I’m not f’ed out the door. Also, first post here thank y’all for your time.

Attachments

• 9E3589B2-EABF-4ED6-9271-00A5EAB78405.jpeg
    9E3589B2-EABF-4ED6-9271-00A5EAB78405.jpeg
    663.6 KB · Views: 126
Got a slightly better pick here, can y’all see how the center dot is kicked off the the left the littlest bit? No I haven’t put any rounds through yet, just tightened everything down today.

Attachments

• EB963BF5-7DAE-4A37-9FA5-C984E4DD3CCA.jpeg
    EB963BF5-7DAE-4A37-9FA5-C984E4DD3CCA.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 122
Since the reticle is engraved on the glass I would imagine they would all be the same way since a computer control machine is running a program for that reticle. Of course it could just be a short run of scopes and was caught by quality control to fix the problem.The dot is only off center by a couple of thousands .

Since you have seen it, you will not be able to unsee it. For the money spent i would be a little bitter every time i looked through it.

Reactions: Mr. Z
I agree with Matt. Once I saw that, it would bother me everytime. Call.

They should replace it because the center dot is offset from the rest of the reticle's markings .

Definitely a problem. When I seen this post yesterday I thought it was BS. I stand corrected. Send it back, its Definitely off center.

Thank you for replies, sent it over to CS, fear they may be already sold out again and I’ll be up for another 3 month turn around. I think the dot and the reticle are on different focal planes so it’s more of a physical misalignment inside the tube maybe? Anyways thank y’all for the responses and giving me the consensus that something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Like Matt said, it’s all I see when I look down the field and at distance may even be responsible for shift in poi.

It's not a reticle etching quality escape. The red dot is not etched on it. You are correct in noting it's an internal alignment issue, but maybe not significant. S&B charges a lot for that scope due to the added complexity. Reticle etched on the FFP so as to offer a consistent ability to accurately mil at intermediate magnifications and the "flash dot" (IIRC) is in the SFP. This isn't the first time I have heard of this issue. See the same below. Also note the parallax shift the scope makes when moving into and out of the CC. I think you may be witnessing that. Thus the review comment that, at times, the red dot "floats."

You should do what you think is best, but you have an etched dot in the reticle right for precise shots at range don't you? That the SFP red dot function is a tiny bit off probably has zero practical impact on the short-range, high-speed use it's designed to address.

Last edited:
Heya BigHat,

the dot pictured is my center dot, reticle relies on it as far as I can see, in the picture without illumination that’s what you can see. I believe they leave the center empty so as to utilize the flash dot however that means alignment is crucial.

Reactions: Guthwine
Hi Lib,
I may have been led astray by the pics and comments in the attached review above. To me, in those photos, it looked like the unilluminated dot was centered and, like yours, slightly off to the left when lit up. I think your initial post comment IRT to the parallax shift moving in and out of the CC mode may be the issue or highlights the internal misalignment problem.
These were very complex optics to get right to the point that S&B nearly threw in the towel on the concept. Please let us know what they tell you about the scope.

Edit: You're correct. The link in the review to the MDR-T6 reticle (page 4) does show at 8x that the center dot is the flash dot furnished by the SFP.

Last edited:
They have to align the first to the second focal plane, probably something went wrong, after all there is not much room for error until it becomes visible. It will be interesting to see how March tackles this issue with their 1-10.

Looked up some reviews, appears their pictures have it off center slightly as well.

1614616995378.png

1614617002435.png

I don't know why S&B didn't just include an etched center dot in the FFP. That would have provided a very precise aiming point at high magnifications and then show nothing of the Flash Dot when the illum. is off. For 1x close work the FFP reticle isn't of value anyway and the red dot being up to .3 mils off-center would be a meaningless issue. No doubt this is a well-used response to the issue by S&B. It has been THE issue with the optic since the inception of the 1-6x version.
Buy a NF ATACR 1-8x with the new reticle. Excellent scope and made for heavy-duty use.

Atacr already on order, wanted that sexy black all euro on my hk, yea waited a long time but up to 15 clicks of correction at 500 yards doesn’t feel like a $4500 optic

Last edited:
And bighat,
I’m trying to see a flaw in your suggestion but I can’t. at 1x a reddot would be imperceptible if it’s off a thou, would still work for fast target acquisition. At distance there doesn’t seem to be a reason to rely on it if you have a center dot on the ffp. The only consideration I could see would be using illumination at range in low light, But given the fact they have the ability to illuminate other parts of the reticle tree with the red I can’t imagine it would be difficult to also stick the center with a red light in the ffp. Given the challenge it seems to get these optics over here I almost wonder if the us commercial market gets scopes that don’t pass for mil contracts if the only ones they are at euro are never ‘perfect’.