• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Shorten LOP BC Medalist - I did it today.

battlestick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2007
Austin, Texas
Update:
I removed the butt pad, taped the stock, marked it, and cut. Pretty simple, I just went what felt to be painfully slow. I re-installed the butt pad, tightened it down, put it back together and took a few shots and spent some time behind it to make sure I didn't need to remove anymore. I then took my dremel with a rotarty sander and trimmed the buttpad.

I then loosened the butt pad, put a little Gorilla Glue in there and tightened it back up. I like GG becuase it expands and will fill every little spot as you can see below. Once it dries I will tape off the last little bit of the stock and the buttpad and spray it tan to hide any imperfections.

Hopefully this helps some one else.

I left the sling stud where it was, it is just closer to the end of the rifle now.
Removal2.jpg

Removal1.jpg

Any one here have any experience/pics/videos or whatever on how to shorten the LOP of a BC Medalist Stock? I have an A2 in case they are built differently.

I need about 3/4" removed from mine. I am thinking a hand saw so as not to melt the material, but do not know if that would be too hard to get a straight cut with no angle from one side to the other.

Before cutting I will verify that I have enough stock material to mount the butt plate screws back into. I don't feel like ruining a stock I can sell and relace something with else.

Thanks.

Re: Shorten LOP BC Medalist

Battlestick, a compond miter saw works well. First off the buttpad is glued to it, and will need to be removed, ie. pryed off. Then wrap painter's tape around where you want the cut, and mark the tape. You will then line up the line on your tape, cut, and then may have to refit the buttpad, and deepen the screw holes. I hope this gives you a little better idea, than using a handsaw, because I'm sure you wouldn't be happy with those results.

Re: Shorten LOP BC Medalist

If you insist on using the hand saw, make sure you use a fine toothed one- Use painters tape as Col Kurtz advised- after it is cut- remove the old tape, re-tape it with new tape and touch up/flush the edges with a rasp and than sand paper. Did this on a factory Savage 22 stock for someone a year or so ago- turned out really well. Just take your time. And remember you can always go back and take more off, but you can't really put it back on (with out a spacer, but that will make the finish... not as nice as you'll see a joint line) so you may want to start by going back 1/2 an inch first.

And no, I'm not a gun smith, but I like to pretend that I am on weekends.

Re: Shorten LOP BC Medalist - I did it today.

I was asked for measurements of the piece of the stock I cut off. It seems as though others have some ideas of their own for fluch cups and the like.

I figured I would post the pics as well in case others could use the info.

Full_Measure.jpg

Bottom_Measure.jpg

For good measure, this was awaiting my arrival today when I got home...Now back out to the garage.
smile.gif

Next_pro1.jpg

Re: Shorten LOP BC Medalist - I did it today.

Post a picture of the finished product. Im thinking of doing this as well.

What kind of saw did you use?