• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Shorter-barrel long ranger cartridge recommendation

DTF370

Smartest D Student
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2014
Oklahoma
Hey guys,

I am looking to build/buy a longer range (hunting up to 800, steel up to 1500) dual use rifle. More specifically I would like to start entering into some two-man competitions (like the two day one in Douglas, WY) where it looks like there are some cold shots to 1300 or so, and I would like to be able to take an elk at some extended range too.

I do plan on running a can on it, and because it is a rifle I plan to pack, I would like to keep the weight and length to a manageable size. Whatever I land on, I would anticipate running a carbon barrel and likely a folding chassis/stock.

I will be reloading for this rifle, so factory ammo isn’t a huge priority. I do like the PRC’s and they seem to be great performers. This being said, I imagine a PRC would be better suited with a 26”+ barrel. I do think it would be beneficial to have a 22ish inch barrel if possible. I have been reading up on 300 WSM and it seems to fit the bill fairly well. Before I went much further I thought I might see if there were any recommendations.

Are there any strong contenders that perform well at extended range from a 20-22 inch barrel that you guys might recommend? Thank you in advance for you’re time.

I was going to suggest a 300wsm on a 20 or 22 inch barrel but it looks like you're already on to it haha.

Let's see what other options other people recommend...

25SST on short action. If 50/50 match hunting I’d go with a steel barrel in something like a Medium Palma.

Reactions: DTF370
FYI - LRI has the SST reamer.

594DE70B-1AD2-4290-B490-BAA64031C338.png

I was going to suggest a 300wsm on a 20 or 22 inch barrel but it looks like you're already on to it haha.

Let's see what other options other people recommend...
Makes me feel good you say that lol. I feel like it’s a pretty well-fitted cartridge for my application. I haven’t heard of many guys running under a 24” on one. I wish I could find someone who has ran a shorter barrel on one.

I'm not too sure but I think this guy has a 16" 300wsm...

@BoltActionBrotherhood
That I do.
300 WSM or 7 saum.
this^^
I have a 300 wsm, but its a factory barrel with a slow twist and I cut it down to 16 inches.
I will be barreling to a 16-18 inch 7 saum. The ballistics are just better with the 7 saum, you are going to have less recoil (Only really important if you are running a lightweight rig like mine), its more efficient, I'll have more energy at 1200 yards than the 300 wsm.
If you run a Short magnum, ideally you would do so in a medium action, although you can do it in a short.

That I do.

this^^
I have a 300 wsm, but its a factory barrel with a slow twist and I cut it down to 16 inches.
I will be barreling to a 16-18 inch 7 saum. The ballistics are just better with the 7 saum, you are going to have less recoil (Only really important if you are running a lightweight rig like mine), its more efficient, I'll have more energy at 1200 yards than the 300 wsm.
If you run a Short magnum, ideally you would do so in a medium action, although you can do it in a short.
That is great insight. Thank you for sharing. I think I will go with the 7SAUM then. I do have a short action that I will be selling. I could always just re-barrel it, but I am a little worried about running heavy bullets and running into feeding or magazine issues. Maybe it would be better to just start over?

This is a very interesting wildcat and it’s new to me. The velocity Is pretty attractive. Any real world experience on feeding and extraction in a repeater?
@BoltActionBrotherhood - raised a good point. Medium action for the Saum is better.

The SST has a 30 degree shoulder that is pushed back a little to optimize for short action mag feeding.
For a short light hunting rig it's a legit consideration.

The other upside is, although it's a wildcat Sherman has ready to load ADG brass & dies in stock. 25 cal bullets accept Blackjack are in stock.
LRI test fired mine (ARC Nuke 7.5T Bartlain) with a piece of brass Sherman sent him. Just loaded and fired, no crazy prep.

Hunting bullets available from Berger, Hammer, PVA, & hopefully soon 131 Blackjack/Sierra
Product Line: Elite Hunter

G1 BC: 0.613

G7 BC: 0.315

Target
G1 BC: 0.65

G7 BC: 0.334

You could go 7mm SST if you want more thump, the smooth feeding, and true short action coal. Not sure if the 7mm version has same availability of brass and dies though?

Here is a snap I clipped from Sherman's sight showing a good comparison of short action magnums.

1643647736333.png

That is great insight. Thank you for sharing. I think I will go with the 7SAUM then. I do have a short action that I will be selling. I could always just re-barrel it, but I am a little worried about running heavy bullets and running into feeding or magazine issues. Maybe it would be better to just start over?
Guys run 180's in a 7 saum Short action no problem. I will be running 180s in mine.

Makes me feel good you say that lol. I feel like it’s a pretty well-fitted cartridge for my application. I haven’t heard of many guys running under a 24” on one. I wish I could find someone who has ran a shorter barrel on one.
I've got a 20" barrel in the works for my 300wsm now. Through some searching on the web I found a few articles of guys who cut from 24" down to 19.5-20" and were only averaging about a 50fps loss.

Good luck, sounds like it will be a fun rifle regardless of what caliber you decide on.

so with the 20" barrel on the 300wsm would a little faster twist help stabilize the round?

this thread has me thinking that i know my next build. 16-20" barrel , 6.5- 9 lbs , caliber unknown.

short and light but like the op effective

DAMN YOU @DTF370 !! my wife's going to kill me

• Haha
so with the 20" barrel on the 300wsm would a little faster twist help stabilize the round?

this thread has me thinking that i know my next build. 16-20" barrel , 6.5- 9 lbs , caliber unknown.

short and light but like the op effective

DAMN YOU @DTF370 !! my wife's going to kill me
From what I have read on that part (no experience whatsoever in this specific area) a faster twist would help, but the 180-200 grain pills should be the sweet spot for this barrel length. I don’t recall reading as much success with the heavier ones. This being said after reading about some of the suggestions, I do think the Sherman Short Tactical or the Saum case would be more efficient for a shortish barrel. I may be speaking from ignorance but I believe 20” is borderline too short for a magnum case, let alone 16”. I would imagine for barrels under 20 you would be better off with a 308 parent case.

Last edited:
From what I have read on that part (no experience whatsoever in this specific area) a faster twist would help, but the 180-200 grain pills should be the sweet spot for this barrel length. I don’t recall reading as much success with the heavier ones. This being said after reading about some of the suggestions, I do think the Sherman Short Tactical or the Saum case would be more efficient for a shortish barrel. I may be speaking from ignorance but I believe 20” is borderline too short for a magnum case, let alone 16”. I would imagine for barrels under 20 you would be better off with a 308 parent case.
Guy I was talking to on a Sherman group suggested the 7 max with 18” barrel with a 9lb rifle said he’s getting
At 5000ft elv 1,250ft lbs 1,750fps... that’s shooting 180gr vld

Reactions: Two36
The short, handy hunting rifle with a lot of power is not going to have the barrel life most folks want in a comp rifle. You basically have a need for two entirely different rifles.

The short, handy hunting rifle with a lot of power is not going to have the barrel life most folks want in a comp rifle. You basically have a need for two entirely different rifles.
I personally am not concerned with barrel life.3-400 rounds would be good. I don’t know about the op

For me barrel life is defiantly a factor. My biggest need is a packable long range competition rifle. It will certainly go through some rounds, although it won’t see the round count that the PRS guys see. Maybe 500 rounds per year?

Reactions: Two36
My experience with mag capacity 7mm and 30 cal caliber rifles is 700-900 rounds and a sudden move to nothing, often with no warning.
Hope that helps with your decision.

For me barrel life is defiantly a factor. My biggest need is a packable long range competition rifle. It will certainly go through some rounds, although it won’t see the round count that the PRS guys see. Maybe 500 rounds per year?
I'm with you. I'm running a takedown and they will rebarrel it to the tune of 2500 😕