• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shorter brass after firing and sizing?

parsky1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2014
So I bought new lapua 308 brass. Trimmed to 2.005" and neck sized. Fired them and then body sized them with a redding body die and then neck sized. The brass is .003" shorter than it used to be after sizing. I have my body die set up to bump the shoulder back far enough that it is between the max and min on an LE Wilson gauge. I noticed that the shoulder is a slightly different shape than the original lapua brass. Is this normal?

So I bought new lapua 308 brass. Trimmed to 2.005" and neck sized. Fired them and then body sized them with a redding body die and then neck sized. The brass is .003" shorter than it used to be after sizing. I have my body die set up to bump the shoulder back far enough that it is between the max and min on an LE Wilson gauge. I noticed that the shoulder is a slightly different shape than the original lapua brass. Is this normal?

Can you post a pic? Some other questions:
1.any reason why you trimmed and neck sized the new lapua?
2. Any reason you neck sized after fls?
3. Is the hs .003 shorter or the case length?

You might consider bumping based on your actual chamber vs the Wilson

The lapua brass was all 2.005" or longer brand new. I trimmed to what the book recommended. I'm loading for a semiauto and so I use a redding body die to get the shoulder back to spec and then a lee collet die to neck size (better neck tension this way). Case length is .003" shorter on average than before.

Neck size first, then size the body. It has been proven to yield better runout this way. As far as the shoulder goes, it is likely that you are not bumping the shoulder back. If the die is set high, the brass will squeeze to fill the die, pushing the shoulder forward. I know that you are using a gauge, but this is the only explanation I know of that would cause the shoulder to move forward.

I'm pretty sure I am moving the shoulder back because the fired cases ended up being longer than the LE Wilson Gauge max. I checked some old FC brass that was fired in this rifle and they are all slightly above the LE wilson gauge max.

Bolt Action of Semi Auto, Shit Can the LE Wilson Gauge, I recommend the Hornady above all others, decap first, then measure fired brass, use the longest reading as your reference.

I'm pretty sure I am moving the shoulder back because the fired cases ended up being longer than the LE Wilson Gauge max. I checked some old FC brass that was fired in this rifle and they are all slightly above the LE wilson gauge max.

I checked some old fired/resized FC .223 brass yesterday, same result.

Greg