• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shortest Barrel for 1k yards

D.A.T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2006
Kansas
I currently have a 24" barrel on a savage 10fp and want somthing not so nose heavy.

I plan on shooting 178 gr a-max.

I want to keep the bullets super sonic.

Can I go down to 18" or 20"

Re: Shortest Barrel for 1k yards

Id go 20, 18 can and has hit the 1k mark but usually out of custom rigs.

- What is your current MV from the 24" tube?
- Is this a factory barrel?
- Will it remain the factory barrel?

IMHO: If you going to cut it back I'd opt for 20" & Chrono from there. If your ammo or loads keep it supersonic to 1K you GTG. You can always go shorter if needed.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Just a quick plug of #(s) in a Balli. Program w/ Low MV #s: </span>

Weight: 178grn
BC: .495
MV: 2450fps
@ 1000yds = 1129fps
& 1019yds = 1117fps
<span style="font-style: italic">Note: I know, YMMV, all depends on setup/area a other "stuff". Will probably need a good 100fps+ to be on the safe side. </span>
crazy.gif

As many here have documented 18" tube will make it to 1K. Comes down to what you want & how much powder your packing
wink.gif

GPS uses remington pss you can go as shot as 16". 18 is awesome. Black hills or Gps has the best ammo for it. the federal GMM was i think 9 moa off. check out GPS they have all kinds of info on it.

I have only shot 168 smk and checked chono.

I am waiting on 600 bullets of the 178 a-max.

i was using 44 gr of varget, win primers, lapua brass and the 168 smk shooting right above 2700.

This is a factory barrel, I have no plans on changing it untill the accuracy falls off. this is my first precision rifle.

D.A.T.

Go to here:

JBM Ballistics - Trajectory (simplified)

And keep plugging till you get your answer. I tried with my altitude, 210 ASL, and my scope height, and I needed a minimum of 2675 FPS minimum with that bullet (g7 BC selected) keep it SS to 1000 yds.

YMMV.....