• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shorty .260?

Ishikawa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2006
Austin, TX
So...I have a shorty .308 on order...likely to be my grail gun (thanks UGSW!).

My father is also interested in getting a build done, but he has a bad shoulder. In looking at platforms to help reduce recoil, I started thinking about a shorty .260 Rem. Other than the buzz I hear about the cartridge, I don't know much about them. Mike was grateful to run some numbers for us and it looks like you'll get pretty much all powder burn in a 18" tube.

I'd like to solicit the Hide for further feedback from those who do use the .260. Challenges or other considerations regarding .260 in a short tube vs. .308 in a short tube?

Thanks!

Re: Shorty .260?

Well I'll be damned...thanks LL. I need to pay attention to the Hide builds! Thank you, sir.

Me and my buddy both shoot 260's in 15" bolt action pistols and find it does well to 1000 yards. We get 2600fps so you should do a bit better with another inch or two. Great cartridge especially for long distances in our shorter barrels.

Topstrap

Thanks Top...would love to see some pics if you ever feel like sharing. Sounds like a great couple of pistols.

2600fps out of 15"...awesome!

I'll try to get a pic of both mine and and Dales 260's together. His is a rear grip XP100r and mine is an old center grip model. Mine has Lilja 1:8 3 groove and Dales is a McGowen. He gets 2630 with 43gr of IMR4350 and I get 2600 with 44gr of H4350. We both use 139 scenars. Just a slower barrel for some reason. Same primer and bullets seated at 2.850.

For our shorter barrels and lower velocities the 260 is way better than the 308 for 1000 yard shooting. With longer barrels and heavier bullets the the 308 will gain on the 260 but for us the 260 is about as perfect as we can hope for to be competitive at those distances in a short barrel.

Topstrap