• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shorty hunting builds

Jbail1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Wanting to put an 18” 6.5 creedmoor hunter together and looking for ideas. It needs to be lightish, but ultralight isn’t necessary. Thinking McMillan hunter stock, Defiance hunter SA, and something in the neighborhood of a bartlien 3B fluted barrel.

If you have something similar, I’d like to hear specs and weight.

Not quite as short as 18”, but here’s a 22” 260 AI I did on a Proof barrel for a deer hunting gun.

Manners EH6A (adjustable adds almost a pound weight over the standard EH6 sadly)

APA Bottom Metal
Schmidt & Bender Klassik 3-12x44

Total weight with ThunderBeast Ultra 7 is a little over 9 lbs.

Attachments

• 8D043D7C-0ACF-4CB8-97F7-0353BC5F0764.jpeg
    8D043D7C-0ACF-4CB8-97F7-0353BC5F0764.jpeg
    676.7 KB · Views: 194
Not quite as short as 18”, but here’s a 22” 260 AI I did on a Proof barrel for a deer hunting gun.

Manners EH6A (adjustable adds almost a pound weight over the standard EH6 sadly)

APA Bottom Metal
Schmidt & Bender Klassik 3-12x44

Total weight with ThunderBeast Ultra 7 is a little over 9 lbs.

How do you like that PR barrel? I have one on a 30-06 and it was hell getting a load worked up for it.

I like it so far. I went to the range last weekend and got started on load development. I’m using 143gr ELD-X and they liked about .030 of jump. Nothing shot well until I got to around .020 of jump.

Hopefully my new Seekins Havak in 6.5Creed comes in tomorrow :) soooo excited to finally have a decent hunting setup!

Although it’s not short, but I did plan on hunting with can on.
Debated cutting from 24” to 20”.
Will that 4” be really noticeable out to 1000 - this is my first 6.5.

Although it’s not short, but I did plan on hunting with can on.
Debated cutting from 24” to 20”.
Will that 4” be really noticeable out to 1000 - this is my first 6.5.
If you are hunting i am really not sure 1000yards comes into play. Just walk a little closer and you will be fine. Lol

Reactions: blacktaco
Just ordered a nitride defiant hunter SA. Thinking I may drop the barrel contour to a #3 and going with the McMillan hunter stock to save a little weight. Hoping the whole package comes in around 8#.

Reactions: blacktaco
Planning on taking a 20 inch 9.3 x 62 Mauser 98 bear hunting next spring, instead of the 375 Ruger on a Rem 700 that I have taken in the past. Granted you can take bear with less I don't mind the recoil of the 375 Ruger at all kind of a nice push. The Mauser build will be a classic looking build on a nice hunk of walnut. A 9.3 x 62 on a 98 in a piece of Walnut kind of a classic trifecta. You can kill most of the animals we have on this continent with many guns so we take out what we like and want.

5rWill has a pretty kick ass 18" 6.5x47L. I've got a 22" 6.5 PRC barrel on its way here. Ready to see how the 135gr JLKs do out of it.

20 inch tikka lite 6.5 Creed. With the Southfort labs carbon stock, Bushnell LRTSi, and Atlas bipod it's dead on 8.8lbs

I'm going to work up a load with 147gr Eldm's.

4E0CD5D7-E8B0-46CF-B1AC-C76BA78B0BBA.jpeg

Reactions: lou400a
Looking at ordering my 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel. I am looking at 22" but what kind? Do I spend the money for a Proof Research Barrel or a barrel from Bartlein Barrels? I have Aero Precision Upper and Lower.
I have been looking at the different barrel and wondering what others are shooting and how the your barrel is performing.

Looking at ordering my 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel. I am looking at 22" but what kind? Do I spend the money for a Proof Research Barrel or a barrel from Bartlein Barrels? I have Aero Precision Upper and Lower.
I have been looking at the different barrel and wondering what others are shooting and how the your barrel is performing.
It is very hard to go wrong when you go with a Bartlein barrel or any of the cut-rifled barrels coming out of wisconsin.

Cut down a 23.5" medium palma to 18" to replace the 20" factory CTR 6.5 Creed barrel. Gained 10 fps with the 130 Prime over the 20". Gained 76 fps with 140 ELDM with Rl16 over the 20" factory barrel. Not a lightweight, but easier to carry suppressed and very easy to shoot. Next barrel for this will be a Carbon 6 25 Creed. Have a shorted can on order, so might go longer on the barrel.
20200205_193841.jpg