• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shorty Rifle cartridge options

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    Building a shorty 18in hunting rig for my son.

BAT BumbleBee action
    Proof CF light sendero 18in
    Manners EH4
    Hawkins flush mount mag bottom metal

It’s going to be either 6.5x47 or 6.5 Creed. I’m leaning heavily towards the 6.5x47….but I know the CM does well with short barrels. I haven’t seen many shorty 6.5x47s.

Any insight here?

Already have all the components. I have no issue with the 308 though.

if you have all the components then why are you asking?

either way...both of those 6.5 cartridges are gonna be within a few fps with a slight edge to the CM

I’m aware of the ballistic comparison between the 6.5x47 and 6.5CM. I have rifles chambered in both. I see a lot more shorty 6.5CMs than I do 6.5x47s….and I’m wondering if I’m missing something.

With the barrel so short I’m not going to be burning all the powder efficiently as is. The marginal increased case capacity or the 6.5CM seems moot.

That’s why I’m asking.

6.5CM is more popular in every way so yeah it'll be more popular in short barrels too

6.5CM more capacity
    6.5x47 faster burning powders

I’m aware of the ballistic comparison between the 6.5x47 and 6.5CM. I have rifles chambered in both. I see a lot more shorty 6.5CMs than I do 6.5x47s….and I’m wondering if I’m missing something.

With the barrel so short I’m not going to be burning all the powder efficiently as is. The marginal increased case capacity or the 6.5CM seems moot.

That’s why I’m asking.
    Nah, creeds just more widely available so people do crazier things with it.

Reactions: Jigstick
    a shorty 308 is loud and fun , not quite as loud is a 223 shorty still very fun to shoot . I am thinking a shorty 300 win mag might be just what your looking for a 6 ft fire ball loud as hell and way more fun than a barrel of monkeys .

Reactions: Stevo86
    6.5 CM hands down. The 6.5 CM has similar performance and dramatically better factory support for loaded ammo as well as reloading components.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
    6.5 CM hands down. The 6.5 CM has similar performance and dramatically better factory support for loaded ammo as well as reloading components.

And that is the reason it is more common, lots of options for factory ammo.

6.5 Creed just for availability of components and factory ammo. I've got an 18" that I really like. Pushes 140 ELDMs at 2650 and is nice and compact with a folder on it. Might try some 130s to get the speed up but all my 6.5s like the 140s and it's nice just having one load for multiple guns.

6.5G? Phenomenal cartridge for a micro action. Maybe your boy is beyond something so short. I love it though.

He hunted last year with my 6.5x47 but it was just a bit to heavy for him.

8C9AA582-616A-46BD-84A9-02B41C288852.jpeg

I reload so I have plenty of components for both calibers. My 6.5x47 just seems a little easier to tune. But in all honesty I tend to shoot it a lot more than my Creedmoor. Tough call I guess

Reactions: lou400a and Franko
    Love 6.5x47, I have 2 of them. Shorter one is 22" for hunting and with a mild 36gr of varget I'm getting 2700fps with 130's.

Reactions: kthomas
    My vote would be 6.5 Creedmoor between those two choices.

6 Dasher or 6BR is mo'betta tho

Creed, if you travel to hunt and get separated from your ammo there are plenty of off the self options. In that same scenario with the 6.5x47 just grab your ball and go home, hunt is over.

I'd build him a 223
    He hunted last year with my 6.5x47 but it was just a bit to heavy for him.

View attachment 8187428

I reload so I have plenty of components for both calibers. My 6.5x47 just seems a little easier to tune. But in all honesty I tend to shoot it a lot more than my Creedmoor. Tough call I guess
    That boy needs a 223 and a case of ammo 😏

Reactions: Jack's Dad
    Between those two it’s not going to matter enough to make a difference, more Creedmoor brass available might be the only deciding factor. Unless you’re like me and just anti Creedmoor lol.

My opinion the one you’re missing is a 6.5saum. For a 16” hunting rifle they are TOUGH to beat. I’ve had two and one shot 123 scenars at 3050 and the current one is shooting 130 hvld at same velocity. It’s been nicknamed Nasty, it’s hard on stuff. Perfect blind gun because of how compact it is.

Good luck!

Creed has the ammo selection but if that's not important the lower capacity of the x47 is going to be more efficient in the shorter barrel.

Personally I'd build the kid a 6BR or Dasher. It'll be easier for him to manage the recoil and will kill shit just as dead as either of the other options.

I avoided the 6 Dasher and 6BR because I’ve found them to be a bit finicky to feed from a DBM. Having to bend / modify feed lips on AIAW mags and such. My varmint rifle is a 6x47 and while it’s a tack driver I just didn’t feel like fiddling the feeding issues on a deer rifle.

I’m not “anti Creedmoor”….I just seem to find the 6.5x47 “sexier” in my expierence.

The available brass options for the Creedmoor is definitely something I’ve been considering. And Peterson Brass is only a few miles from my house. I’ve actually toured their facility and shoot with those guys sometimes.

Reactions: Judd
    Hard to beat a creedmoor with 123 Scenar or 130s game king with a shorty
    - Can use varget or H4350
    - Lapua brass with small primers so that you can run them a bit hot if you want to to make up for the shorter barrel
    - Decent affordable factory ammo available

6.5 Grendel would also be a great choice for a lightweight build and a novice shooter.