• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Shot my best group EVER today!

powasky

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2008
Delaplane, VA
I shoot a 1958 Anschutz Model 54 Match, and usually shoot Aguila subsonics, both HP and SP. The most recent batch I received hadn't been grouping too well (I am lucky to shoot MOA at 50, too many fliers):

2012-10-11_15-37-28_693.jpg

So I decided to try some ammo that one of my friends gave to me...he dubbed it SECRET CIA AMMO...but it's just Olin white box. Here are the results:

2012-10-11_15-38-27_569.jpg

Those were my first five shots after shooting 50 rounds of Aguila SSHP. I shoot sitting off a bipod with no rear rest. Hell to the yeah, feels good man. Here's the rifle wearing its current glass, a Japanese Tasco 4-14x40. Finally hitting the limits of this glass so will be upgrading soon:

IMG_6240.jpg

And yes, I do use leftover 4x4s for practice!

Re: Shot my best group EVER today!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And yes, I do use leftover 4x4s for practice!</div></div>

Adds new meaning to "posting" your best group.
grin.gif

Very tight group for non-bench rest shooting. Nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jethro21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a beautiful gun </div></div>

Thanks, I think so too. I had it listed up for sale on a few forums but finally came to my senses and decided to keep it. The tacticool bug almost got the best of me.

I'll probably have it rebarreled and worked over soon but I'm still searching for a good gunsmith that works with rimfire actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Randoman5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it still shoots that well why re-barrel it? </div></div>

I want something shorter and threaded for my can and I would feel bad sending this barrel off to adco.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clean the bore....like white glove clean and test out ammo in your rifle.

I'd be willing to bet that rifle can shoot better.

I'd put a better scope on it and enjoy that gem of a rifle. </div></div>

I'm pretty sure that the large-ish groups I've been getting are no fault of the rifle, rather of me and the most recent ammo I've been using. I don't shoot matches so it's meeting my needs fine right now by just getting me some trigger time.

Once I can be more confident in my shooting ability, I'll worry about shooting better ammo.

However, like I said in my OP, glass is definitely holding me back. I can barely make out bullet holes at 50 on 16x...
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clean the bore....like white glove clean and test out ammo in your rifle.

I'd be willing to bet that rifle can shoot better.

I'd put a better scope on it and enjoy that gem of a rifle.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Randoman5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it still shoots that well why re-barrel it?</div></div>
+2

That's a shooter. Keep that one the way it is with new glass and get yourself a Savage or CZ for the can. Plus, it sounds to me like you may have already found the right load for this stick; that Olin white box.

Why shoot the cheap stuff when the good stuff will give you more satisfaction and you'll learn more about how you are shooting vs. what variations the ammo introduce. IMO.

lash-

If you've got a source for that Olin white box, please share it with me. I haven't been able to find any (except at extremely high prices on GB and such). I've only got one box of 50 left!

nice groups, i would keep the rifle as is, try some wolf match and ME, she may shoots even better. A question, what kind scope base do you have on your anschutz? looks very longish.

I'm picking up some Match Extra today, hopefully it groups well. I've had good experiences with it in the past.

I'm not certain what mount it is, it came with the rifle and scope when I purchased it. Unfortunately I'm limited to canti mounts so I don't really have many options to change to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: powasky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lash-

If you've got a source for that Olin white box, please share it with me. I haven't been able to find any (except at extremely high prices on GB and such). I've only got one box of 50 left!
</div></div>
Uhm, yeah. I have got to start taking longer to write posts. I meant that to seem sort of ironic and humorous, but as I reread it it just sounds ignorant. I did see a box listed on eBay for $12 the other day...

In any case, I think you have a fine rifle there. Enjoy it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaia</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And yes, I do use leftover 4x4s for practice!</div></div>

Adds new meaning to "posting" your best group.
grin.gif

Very tight group for non-bench rest shooting. Nice.

</div></div>

I agree.

http://chesebrorifles.com/main.sc

this guy works on rimfires. He used to work under Mac Tilton of MT guns, one of the best rimfire smiths out there.

he not only will work on your rifle, he also does repeater conversions on the 54 actions that use CZmags. His price for the conversion includes a barrel setback and a new crown. That alone might give your barrel new life to an accuracy that the annie is known for (not that what its showing is bad, it could be tighter me thinks. of course playing with different ammo could def tighten up your groups)

Regards,
DT

that is a pretty sweet rifle! put you a higher powered scope on there and your groups will only improve.