• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shot my first hand loads today.

MrMike

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
Port Clyde, Maine
.308 SPS Tact. 20" barrel 1:12 twist
rem brass
CCI 200LR primers
IMR 3031 (for now, it was available)
Sierra 168 gr HPBT
2.800 OAL in a 2.980 COAL

I worked up a load using an OCW method. The particular method I chose started loads at 10% below max working up 1% at a time until max is reached. The minimum load I started with proved the best group (pic included). The groups were fired using a "round robin" sequence, so no single target was fired twice in a row. I also fired from a vise type rest to take the as much of the human error out as possible. Velocities are not know as I dont have a crono. I started showing pressure signs(very slightly bulged case) at 40.6 gr, 41gr being sierra's recommended max. Though the case was slightly buldged it extracted just fine, if I hadnt been inspecting each case carefully I wouldn't have noticed.

Now because my lowest load was the best group I am going to load up 1 and 2% below that and 1% above to confirm that it is the most accurate load.

Best load was 39.3 gr

Thoughts? suggestions?

Target shot at 100 yards
TgtGfx2.jpg

700003.jpg

Re: Shot my first hand loads today.

Hey you missed the middle......LOL.
You done did good. Now try 5 & 10 shot groups to see what happens when the bbl warms up.
What was the outside temps when you shot?
Thanks for your service!
Respectfully,
LG

out side temps were in the mid 50s. Next weekend I'll adjust zero and I want to give the SH practical target a try and see how I fair
smile.gif

Great shooting! You got yourself a nice combo there! Love the out of the box rifles, that CAN SHOOT!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Belisarius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great shooting! You got yourself a nice combo there! Love the out of the box rifles, that CAN SHOOT! </div></div>

No kidding! I was thinking of bedding the action and the scope base but I dont think it would make a difference... less work = more play!

Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading! You are off to a great start. Just wait until you load for 30-40 calibers and have 20-30 different type of powder, bullets, etc. hehehe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3rd eye blind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading! You are off to a great start. Just wait until you load for 30-40 calibers and have 20-30 different type of powder, bullets, etc. hehehe. </div></div>

I know its like crack.... I was thinking of casting my own lead for my .45 too. oh where does it end?
grin.gif

Isnt life GREAT!