• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shot show 2024

VandelayIndustries

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2022
Ask
Anyone got any inside info on what’s coming? I’m personally hopeful for something in the FFP 2.5-15 crossover market.

I guess I don’t understand why a 3-18 doesn’t cover that base or a 3-15 who’s really using 2.5, it’s not low enough to cover an lpvo roll and not high enough to do anything past 100 yards I’ve always been confused by that desire.

2.5 vs 3 is knit picking a bit, just a personal thing, 15x on the top is plenty imo. I wouldn’t want something more than a 6x erector. And I don’t really want more than 3x on the low end. 2.5/3x with a good reticle is for hunting in timber, not shooting at 100+ yards, that’s where the 15x comes in. 3-18 would be fine though. That’s why it’s a crossover scope. But there isn’t anything in that space I like. Burris XTR 3 sucks on 3.3x. Yeah it’s usable but just barely in the right conditions. I guess maven has the rs 1.2, I’m not crazy about the reticle but that’s about it in that space.

The LRA bipod guy told me that they’re going to release ski feet this month for their bigger bipod line. Lite-Tactical or whatever they confusingly call it. Not sure if this qualifies for Shot Show intel, but there you have it.

They might make ski feet for their small bipods if people ask for it (hint, hint).

• Love
Reactions: jh2785 and lash
Anyone got any inside info on what’s coming? I’m personally hopeful for something in the FFP 2.5-15 crossover market.
Why FFP for that mag range? It’s nice to have SFP for that low mag to be able to see a reticle, and 15 is the sweet spot for shooting long range so you’d just run it at that if shooting far

Last edited:
No I run mine at 12x almost always for long range. Sometimes I don’t want to be on 15x. All my scopes are FFP. I dislike sfp.

2.5 vs 3 is knit picking a bit, just a personal thing, 15x on the top is plenty imo. I wouldn’t want something more than a 6x erector. And I don’t really want more than 3x on the low end. 2.5/3x with a good reticle is for hunting in timber, not shooting at 100+ yards, that’s where the 15x comes in. 3-18 would be fine though. That’s why it’s a crossover scope. But there isn’t anything in that space I like. Burris XTR 3 sucks on 3.3x. Yeah it’s usable but just barely in the right conditions. I guess maven has the rs 1.2, I’m not crazy about the reticle but that’s about it in that space.
The RS 1.2 is doing well so far in durability testing: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/maven-rs1-2-2-5-15x44mm-field-eval.338756/

Short Action Custom just put a vague teaser on their Facebook page. Not enough image for me to figure out what it is.

Steve Fisher (Sentinel Concepts) announced a new 2-12x24 FFP scope via his instagram but wouldn't tell who was manufacturing it. Presuming it's getting announced at Shot Show.
I think he was referring to the Eotech that leaked earlier this week or was that SFP?

TBAC braked suppressor...

Leupold new spotting scope...

SAC press for 2k...

What’s the details on spotting scope? Never felt my mark 4 needed anything else unless they’re just putting some pic rails on it?

The LRA bipod guy told me that they’re going to release ski feet this month for their bigger bipod line. Lite-Tactical or whatever they confusingly call it. Not sure if this qualifies for Shot Show intel, but there you have it.

They might make ski feet for their small bipods if people ask for it (hint, hint).
I really really…really want ski feet for my LRA. It’s a crime that they’ve never provided availability before.
Why FFP for that mag range? It’s nice to have SFP for that low mag to be able to see a reticle, and 15 is the sweet spot for shooting long range so you’d just run it at that if shooting far
Ah, you corrected it. And I agree. In that mag range for hunting, why is FFP needed?

Reactions: ohiofarmer
What’s the details on spotting scope? Never felt my mark 4 needed anything else unless they’re just putting some pic rails on it?
Obviously, this is 2nd hand info... But looks like a wider range of magnification, attachment points (LRF, RDS, etc), and possible reticle change.

Obviously, this is 2nd hand info... But looks like a wider range of magnification, attachment points (LRF, RDS, etc), and possible reticle change.

10-50 would be cool I guess, long time coming on attachments points (but only if it looks cooler than the badger cage), a lot of people don’t like the .25 mil sub tension on pr2 (I also think it’s dumb) but I assume they’d release that. We’ll see what happens but that’s probably pretty close

Reactions: NiteQwill
I really really…really want ski feet for my LRA. It’s a crime that they’ve never provided availability before.

Ah, you corrected it. And I agree. In that mag range for hunting, why is FFP needed?
I don’t know, but everyone here seems set on FFP for everything. I’m yet to meet a scenario I’m holding over on game. If I’m not shooting on 15x, I’m probably not shooting far enough to have to hold wind to .1 mil

I don’t know, but everyone here seems set on FFP for everything. I’m yet to meet a scenario I’m holding over on game. If I’m not shooting on 15x, I’m probably not shooting far enough to have to hold wind to .1 mil
I think a fair number of people like to shoot at 10-12x magnification to preserve FOV for spotting their shots, even for shots long enough to hold wind for. Especially since hunting rifles tend to be on the lighter side.

I think a fair number of people like to shoot at 10-12x magnification to preserve FOV for spotting their shots. Especially since hunting rifles tend to be on the lighter side.
I watch impacts frequently on 18x with my 300 wsm that’s 11 pounds. I also do the same with my 11 pound 6.5 creed NRL build with a 16x scope

I watch impacts frequently on 18x with my 300 wsm that’s 11 pounds. I also do the same with my 11 pound 6.5 creed NRL build with a 16x scope
I'm not that passionate about it, just giving you some reasoning. Plus 11 pounds may be common for hunting rigs here but a lot of people like their hunting rifles to be 6-9 pounds. Again, just saying that's what most hunters go for. My hunting rifles happen to be heavy as hell.

Everyone prefers slightly different things. If the reticle is done right and is usable throughout the entire mag range then FFP is superior imo. If SFP is your thing then have at it you’ve got a ton of options. There is definitely an untapped market for a FFP crossover design though. And I agree with @NateVA im one of those who will run below max at 10-12 on a 15-18x scope.

Reactions: R_A_W
I had seen seen mentions/rumors late last year... Lapua officially announced they'll be making brass for 300WSM & 6GT

Reactions: DubfromGA
I had seen seen mentions/rumors late last year... Lapua officially announced they'll be making brass for 300WSM & 6GT

Just as soon as the dustups in Uke and Gaza wind down a bit.......... ;)

Bout damn time for the 300wsm. Shame that all brass makers want to kill it off.

What exactly are you looking for, there are a plethora of options in the 2.5/3.5 - 15/21 mag range.

The Apex hunter 3-15, Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44, Delta 3.5-21x44, Mark5h 3.6-18x44 all fill these niche in slightly different ways.

I can't realistically see what more options you might want.

What exactly are you looking for, there are a plethora of options in the 2.5/3.5 - 15/21 mag range.

The Apex hunter 3-15, Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44, Delta 3.5-21x44, Mark5h 3.6-18x44 all fill these niche in slightly different ways.

I can't realistically see what more options you might want.
I’d prefer below 3x or lower. While I’ve never owned a mark5hd I’ve read the reticle is too thin for hunting on 3.5x, I had a 4-16atacr and to me it wasn’t a good crossover option because you couldn’t use it until you hit 7x.
I don’t like the reticle in the delta when on 3.5x. I’ve never heard of apex but it looks interesting. The maven also looks promising, while I don’t love the reticle, I don’t hate it either it looks usable. I wish they’d put a donut or something similar in it. It’d be nice to have more reticle choices. Heck if Burris just designed a new reticle and put it in the xtr3i with that fov I think they’d dominate that market.

Edit: here’s what’s I’d like in a reticle: thinner floating center cross for precision maybe .5 or so space around the cross before you start the rest of the reticle, either .2 or .5 mil wind hashes (most hunters probably prefer .5 I like .2 for targets but either is fine). Put a donut around the 2mil mark make it bolt enough easily see on low power. Illuminate the donut and inside the donut, not the entire reticle. Could go either way on a tree reticle, I would not illuminate the tree and maybe make the tree thinner so it disappears on low mag but is there on high mag.

Last edited:
I’d prefer below 3x or lower. While I’ve never owned a mark5hd I’ve read the reticle is too thin for hunting on 3.5x, I had a 4-16atacr and to me it wasn’t a good crossover option because you couldn’t use it until you hit 7x.
I don’t like the reticle in the delta when on 3.5x. I’ve never heard of apex but it looks interesting. The maven also looks promising, while I don’t love the reticle, I don’t hate it either it looks usable. I wish they’d put a donut or something similar in it. It’d be nice to have more reticle choices. Heck if Burris just designed a new reticle and put it in the xtr3i with that fov I think they’d dominate that market.

Edit: here’s what’s I’d like in a reticle: thinner floating center cross for precision maybe .5 or so space around the cross before you start the rest of the reticle, either .2 or .5 mil wind hashes (most hunters probably prefer .5 I like .2 for targets but either is fine). Put a donut around the 2mil mark make it bolt enough easily see on low power. Illuminate the donut and inside the donut, not the entire reticle. Could go either way on a tree reticle, I would not illuminate the tree and maybe make the tree thinner so it disappears on low mag but is there on high mag.

Why do you think a 2.5-15 FFP will be any different? Unless they make the reticle like .2mil thick you’re not going to pick it up easily on 2.5x.

If you want that mag range and want to use it well on the bottom end then buy a SFP optic.

Leupold is off to a bad start lol. They have the objective size wrong on the 2.5-10x42 they have it showing 24 but on the spec sheet it is 42. No big deal just pointing it out.

Attachments

• IMG_2200.png
    IMG_2200.png
    696.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Reactions: jh2785
Leupold is off to a bad start lol. They have the objective size wrong on the 2.5-10x42 they have it showing 24 but on the spec sheet it is 42. No big few just pointing it out.

Yeah I noticed that too. And the icing on the cake is the PR3 is yet another mil non tree reticle when they already have the TMR and PR1. I was really hoping they had pulled their heads out of their ass and came up with a .2mil tree reticle when I saw the PR3 listed, but NOPE. Apparently the third time isn’t the charm.

The TMR is almost as good as your gonna get for FFP and low mag visibility.

The Meopta Optika 6 RD1 reticle is more or less exactly what you have described.

Why do you think a 2.5-15 FFP will be any different? Unless they make the reticle like .2mil thick you’re not going to pick it up easily on 2.5x.

If you want that mag range and want to use it well on the bottom end then buy a SFP optic.
I think it’s doable in a FFP. Bushnell LRHS G2H almost nailed it. If they just added illumination to the 3-12, better fov it’d be about perfect.

Reactions: HaydenLane
I think it’s doable in a FFP. Bushnell LRHS G2H almost nailed it. If they just added illumination to the 3-12, better fov it’d be about perfect.

Yeah, that was a 4x erector optic, you can make a reticle work on both ends with that. What you’re wanting is a 6x erector optic which is going to be the same as what you already don’t like. What you want is not doable in FFP unless you’re ok with having a reticle that’s thick AF.

Reactions: lash