• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Shot Show conversation with the Owner of Tangent Theta Scopes

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    At SHOT 2014, I had a great conversation with Andrew Webber, owner of Tangent Theta.

I want to break that conversation down so there is no mistaking what I am saying.

Right off the bat, every concern I had was addressed, and this part of the discussing came without any prompting by me. Andrew started out by telling me issues they addressed and what they believe needed to be adjusted on the new line of scopes. And make new mistake, these are a new line of scopes.

From the tube walls, to the turrets, they spent the last year making sure the scopes will be greater than the reputation of the past. They approached this by saying they were not looking to be equal to their competitors, but exceeding all expectations and putting out an uncompromising optic.

They have a newly renovated facility in Canada, and the scopes have undergone extensive testing prior to release.

The turrets I feel are far superior to the old Premiers. No longer do you ride over that .1 or .2 next to the heavy detent. They are well space, smooth, and audible. The fix to the tool-less adjustment is well done also.

The internal fixes were mentioned, but needless to say, the parallax / tube issue has been reconciled. We won't see a set of rings binding your parallax.

It was a fun and pleasant conversation, and I really think TT users will be really happy.

The base model has some neat innovations to the turret system. It's their light tactical replacement and it's pretty neat. With visible multi-turn indicators and windage direction windows. I think it was a smart idea.

He's in this business to stay and to put out a long term product, from construction, to support, and pricing it so the business will hold true for years and years. They are not cheap, and there will be an increase in price. Expect the 5-25x to retail for $4200, but that is where the optic industry is going. More and more scopes are coming in over $3k, even higher. But they have a well built high quality product.

I look forward to seeing them out on the street and for Tangent Theta to have a long successful history, starting now.

It's very encouraging to see one-more North American company providing a product to compete in the Leagues of the S&B's & Hensoldt's of the world. I've personally been a user & supporter of "european" above all others, but seeing the direction & "bull by the horns" approach TT has taken with their's/& Premiers old product, as well as their aggressive business/PR/support-plan, is outstanding.. even more so knowing it's derived from right here on home dirt..!

I'm sincerely considering addition of a TT in the forseeable future. I'm a Hensoldt guy as it stands, but Tangent Theta looks to be a product that us-guys (Canadians) can possibly now puff our chests over & put support behind just the same as many "south of the line" put toward Nightforce, or like many "across the pond" put toward Zeiss & Schmidt. It's a cheer for the home team situation and I wish Tangent Theta the best! Like others, I'll be anxious to see how this all plays out..

As always, time will tell what comes of it all.

Where does one find information on the TT line of scopes? I own several Premier Reticles but would be interested in the TT version of the light tactical mentioned above. However, when I do a Google search for Tangent Theta, I end up back at the Premier Reticles literature.

Thanks,

Andy is an accomplished highpower and sniper rifle shooter in his own right. I've known him for 15 years and he is as serious as they come, both in shooting and in business.

Optronika is no joke, either, and both are in the business for the long haul.

As scopes are getting better, the price tags are rising. I once discussed scope design with Gary Shott, a Nightforce engineering consultant, and he told me, "I can give you perfect -- but are you willing to pay what it'll cost?" A truly good, competitive scope HAS to offer something better than the competitor's at a price the customer is willing to part with.

This is awesome news. I, along with many others I presume, always had the nagging suspicion that TT would be a re-branded line of PR scopes. It's great to hear this is not the case. I don't know Andrew but it says a lot about his character that he approached you and acknowledged the shortcomings of PR, then corrected those issues. Gets me thinking about a new scope...

Just inquiring but...When you state $4200 retail for the 5-25 does this mean street price will be less expensive? Or is it MAP pricing where we'll be paying retail regardless?

Hopefully a TT rep will chime in.

Part of the problem with the Premier, it was not priced to sustain a business.

The new TT line has been refined with help from Optronika but now, they have moved on. In fact I saw Andy from there and Optronika is now, German Sport Optics, or GSo, and is aligned with Minox. Not TT.

Pricing wise, you have a lot going on, buying the Premier name and asserts, building the factory in Canada, then all the new work on the scopes. That has to be recouped, as well as sustain the company towards the future. It's a long term plan meant to create a viable brand that will grow.

Expect the 5-25x to retail for $4200, but that is where the optic industry is going. More and more scopes are coming in over $3k, even higher.

This strikes me as interesting. I remember not long ago when spending $1,200 on a Nightforce seemed extravagant. Do you have any idea how many $3000+ scopes are sold each year to civilians? It just seems like a lot money for the average joe. Is the civilian market for these scopes big enough to create stable companies, or are military sales required?