• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SHOT Show report, Part 2

gr8fuldoug

Supporting Vendor
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2006
Old Bethpage NY
www.cameralandny.com
From Kowa I headed on over to Hawke. Every year I tell myself I will wait for the floor plan to be released so I can make my appointments intelligently (without having to run from end to end or downstairs to upstairs and then back down and over again). Oh well, maybe next year, lol
So, Hawke.....
We first met with and brought Hawke on board at SHOT 2016. We did not do a great deal with them in 2016, however, that certainly changed in 2017. Their Endurance Series Binoculars and riflescopes were a very big seller for us and we received amazing feedback from our customers. Great optics for the surprisingly low pricing.

This year looks exciting with new products being released.
Their Frontier line was enhanced with FFP and Tactical Turrets. They revamped the Endurance line with longer eye-relief and a wide angle optical system in 13 new models. The Vantage includes 3 new wide-angle 30mm riflescope models, while the Sidewinder line has been enhanced with 2 FFP models to expand the offering their long range model offerings.
I am very excited about Hawkes commitment to the industry and their customers. Listening to what folks have been asking for and responding with upgrades in their already successful product lines. All while keeping their pricing realistic.

I did give them some crap about their lack of marketing for their Spotting Scopes & LaserRangefinders as most people aren't even aware that they offer them. Which is a pity because their Spotting Scopes have eye relief of up to 20mm which is way better than almost everything else on the market and for folks wearing glasses this is HUGE.

Next in my crazy busy day was Leupold . Mid-2017 the Leupold representative that I had been working with for a couple of years left the company and I was assigned a new guy. Those of you who know me can imagine how I reacted, lol. As it turned out I was upgraded :)
In September Dan made a trip to NY to meet with me and we had an extensive meeting covering everything from product availability issues, customer service and the direction he saw Leupold going and our involvement with that. He seemed genuinely interested in growing the company and taking it beyond what it is. There's growing pains as with any company that's been around a long time as there's constant changes within and all around. I understand this better than most as Camera Land entered its 61st year this past November and things have definitely changed since we opened in 1957.

New product announcements include:
The Mark 5HD. You can click here for the full announcement and details and their VX-Freedom. The VX-Freedom is a replacement for the VX-1's and VX-2's and it seems to be a decent scope. Running $199.99 - $299.99 it's a nice entry level scope worth checking out.

Last stop today was with great friends at Swarovski & Kahles . We've been a Swarovski dealer for a couple of decades now so it's great seeing all the folks here. A few have been here a long time and the only time I get to see them is here at SHOT so I really look forward to catching up. OH, and I get to see all the new toys.

2017 was a great year at Camera Land for both Swarovski & Kahles. Our sale grew with Swarovski Spotting Scopes and their Z3 Riflescopes. The Kahles Riflescopes were impossible to keep up with as stock was difficult to come by and once we received a delivery it sold out rather quickly.
New announcements include:
KAHLES K318i Ultrashort: "The K318i is perfection packed into an ultrashort housing. To achieve highest performance standards despite short-build design it took many years of development and the latest technologies. The optical system with it's wide field of view and a brilliant, exceptional high contrast image sets new standards for ultrashort riflescopes". Please click here for all the detail on this new scope This scope is a serious offering by Kahles and I think it will be a very big seller for them.

Swarovski announced their new CL Companion binoculars click this link for details . They made it small and light and when I put it up to my eyes the ease and comfort of view was amazing. It's available in 8x30 and 10x30 with your choice of 3 different style cases. Very nice addition to their line-up.

I cannot believe I scheduled so many meetings for the first day. You'd have thought I would have learned after all these years coming here. Once again I will say.....Never again.

Remembering from years past how great it felt on my dried out throat I stopped on the way back to my room for an ice cream cone. I went with a double scoop, Vanilla and Caramel and it was as great as it was last year.
OK, Day 1 done. Tomorrow is another day :)