• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shot the front end off dat thing! [kinda]

TurboTrout

Two Star General
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2020
East Coast
So odd one for you 1911/2011 guys

Was shooting and bringing a friend into the gun world at a local range today.

Shooting a small SAO 1911, it was one of those cramped bays which may have played a roll, I was over emphasizing finger off the trigger, loaded a mag, drop the slide with the lever, aaaaand off goes the slide! Little fucker probably went a good 4’! Gun didn’t fire or anything like that, just a “well that’s odd”

No harm no damage, but I got to the debrief, my only thought was (right handed) the index trigger finger may have been pushing on the rounded nub of the takedown, when the slide release was thumbed down, possibly with pressure on the nub, for the brief second the slide took the side
loading off the takedown pin it was enough to push the pin out, and off came the slide (mag release was sitting just below the frame).

Two questions,

1 Does this make sense? Albeit uncommon, I have put tons of pistol rounds down range and mostly out of 1911 style guns never had this happen or heard of it 🤷‍♂️

2 Why don’t they make these flush? ARs takedowns are flush, why do 1911s always seem to have a rounded end that protrudes?

1. That's a new one to me. It doesn't make any sense to me, but my knowledge is limited.

2. They do make the take down pins flush. It usually costs more for the 1911, and you need a punch to take it down. But that's my preference even just to make a malfunction less likely (which has never happened to me due to a partially removed take down, but I could see where it could happen, as I bet you can now!).

Was this your pistol? If not, had you been around it before? I think I'd keep shooting it until it happened again. I can't imagine pushing hard enough on the pin to make it come all the way out.

Please report back if you can solve this mystery or make it happen again!

Did you ever have this issue before? Did you disassemble and reassemble the pistol before shooting it when the slide fell off?

Twas mine, very familiar with it, never had any issues before shooting range FMJ to carry HSTs, even has the upgraded stainless one piece guide rod.

Re assembled, function tested, fire 2 mags just fine, disassembled, looked good, reassembled, function test, fired about 200rds, no malfunction, though I didn’t try to push the take down pin out while reloading, as that didn’t occur to me as the possible failure point till the drive home.

Last edited:
The take down pin on mine is a pain to drive out, is there play in yours? I've heard of Kimber owners complaining of this a long time ago. I don't shoot a lot of pistol so no clue how common it is or if it's common with sig 1911 platforms though

The take down pin on mine is a pain to drive out, is there play in yours? I've heard of Kimber owners complaining of this a long time ago. I don't shoot a lot of pistol so no clue how common it is or if it's common with sig 1911 platforms though

Normally it’s normal?

Bit really easy, not really hard, if that makes sense.

This is tormenting me. For something to move, like a slide stop, that isn't already moving, a force has to act on it. We can't get around that.

So what force acted on it? Whatever the force is, it had to be significant unless the slide stop isn't snug. It also had to plop out at just the right moment.

Could you check to see if the cut out (I forget the dignified term) in the slide has to be lined up correctly in order to remove the slide stop?

This is tormenting me. For something to move, like a slide stop, that isn't already moving, a force has to act on it. We can't get around that.

So what force acted on it? Whatever the force is, it had to be significant unless the slide stop isn't snug. It also had to plop out at just the right moment.

Could you check to see if the cut out (I forget the dignified term) in the slide has to be lined up correctly in order to remove the slide stop?

That why I was thinking pressure on that nub as the slide was put into battery?

If the barrel link didn't break there is know way for the slide to come off unless the slide stop is pushed far enough that the slide stop pin cleared the barrel link.

If he was pushing on the slide stop pin while dropping the slide, it could’ve slid out a bit, I’ve done it once. It should only move a little bit though. As previously mentioned, it should have recoil spring tension on it if it was through the link. I guess it could just be super sloppy, both in the frame and the link. Most of my 1911s have a flush cut spring stop but the frame is also chamfered so you can still easily disassemble the gun. They all have GI style recoil springs and guide rods. You mentioned an “upgraded” FLGR, which one is it?

If he was pushing on the slide stop pin while dropping the slide, it could’ve slid out a bit, I’ve done it once. It should only move a little bit though. As previously mentioned, it should have recoil spring tension on it if it was through the link. I guess it could just be super sloppy, both in the frame and the link. Most of my 1911s have a flush cut spring stop but the frame is also chamfered so you can still easily disassemble the gun. They all have GI style recoil springs and guide rods. You mentioned an “upgraded” FLGR, which one is it?

One of these, factory spring though.

I do use enos slide glide, but the pin isn’t tight or loose really, about the same as most 1911/2011s

Last edited: