• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Shot this morn. & IOR went totally blurry.....

springer01

Minuteman
Dec 27, 2005
Brownfield, Texas
Went out this AM to shoot before the wind got up. Set up at 550 yards shot about 25 rounds. Then as I shot the last round out of the mag watching the target boom scope just went to a blur.

Had debated on whether or not to get the IOR ffp 3-18X42 but since this was a gen 3 I decided to go for it. This was only the 50th round since it was put on. Just zeroed it last weekend....not to happy right now. Guess its gonna go back to IOR for repair.

Re: Shot this morn. & IOR went totally blurry.....

supposedly GEN 4 is the goods. Have them swap it.

I watched 3 IOR's fail, 2 of which failed very fast (under 50 rounds). IOR did take care of him, replacing it every time with the same model/generation (I want to say about 6-8 week turnaround)

They did offer to upgrade him at the time to a gen 3 I believe, but the upgrade cost would have been on him and would have defeated the original purpose of buying the IOR when it was new.

The guy is on his 4th scope/3rd replacement right now, has about 500 rounds under it at this point so it seems ok (current round count is higher then previous 3 put together). If this one goes south he may take them up on the upgrade offer/cost and hopefully be done with it...

-pd

Mine will be replaced/repaired and then probably will be sold. I'm already looking at a Premier Heritage 3-15 to replace it...cant go 4-6 weeks without a scope on my .308.

Also when you saw them fail what did they do? Mine is fine at 3-4.5 magnification then after that it blurs out horribly.

Usually when the 3-18's fail its a catastrophic type that wipes out image at all powers.
Have Val replace it wtith a Gen 4 and if you can get something from him (even an email or such) stating the replacement scope will be warranteed for the next owner it'll help your selling it.

We have the GEN 4 in stock. I plan on testing one down the road. I'm hearing good things on the GEN 4 units.

Mike @ CST

I had heard the GEN 3 was ok too, but then again why make a GEN 4 if the GEN 3 was good. I just hope I can get the warranty work done without a problem as I am not the original purchaser.

Really liked everything about it until this morning, I told myself when I bought it I'd would give it a try if it failed I would find something else.

Same thing happened to mine on the 20th shot out of a 308. Called IOR and they did replace it fairly quickly without much hassle. However upon getting a new replacement sold it and moved on. The reticle on the scope was probably my favorite I have used, and the magnification range and other features(ffp,mil mil,smaller objective size) are a great combination. Too bad it shook my confidence in durability.

Yeah, just got back from the range and the gun I bought Friday with an IOR scope on it just had three bubbles pop up on it. The guy I bought it from said he only has two hundred rounds through it. The gun shot great, guess the scope just decided to take a shit.

Yeah it's really a shame they don't hold up, because everything about them is pretty damn good! Glass is awesome, mil/mil, over sized elevation knob, reticle, magnification range. The only thing I didn't like (besides mine going to shit this morning) was the mounting options, but I solved that with the EGW extended base.

Hopefully the GEN 4 are the final fix, because they really have something going, but if it doesn't hold up it doesn't matter how good all the other shit is.