• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

shotgun choke question

Raptor77

God didn’t stop the bullets… You missed
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2020
OHIO
I don't know a lot about shotgun chokes. I inherited a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 pump action from my uncle. It came with four chokes and I measured the bore with calipers and they are also marked. They are; improved cylinder .721", modified .711", full .698" and extra full .685. I think I understand that the smaller the choke, the tighter the group/spread. My question is witch is the smallest that I can safely fire a slug through?

Thanks for your help

A slug will go through any choke - they are made that way as the ammo manufacturer doesn't know what is going to be on the gun.

Mostly agree with @RPN because not every shotgun was made with a removable choke. Back when it was fairly common to buy a barrel with the choke you wanted.

I avoid running slugs through full chokes or tighter because the old guys before I was old said it might bulge the barrel ... probably only applies to really old guns anymore.

My question is witch is the smallest that I can safely fire a slug through?
One or two slugs --> any choke. Steady diet of slugs, best to go with improved cylinder... or get a dedicated slug barrel.

The old traditional hollow-base slugs leave a lot of crud in the barrel. Make sure you remove the choke (whichever one you use) and clean threads lest the think become very difficult to remove. I learned this the hard way - with skeet loads in a dedicated skeet o/u shotgun with skeet chokes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Usually for Foster slugs, cyl or Improved Cyl choke is used.