• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Shotgun Opinions

Dougie308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Okay, so I am going to round up a bunch of my safe queens and trade them on a new "combat" shotgun. My only real preferences right now are that it be semi-auto, 12 gauge, have Pic rails for sights and lights and either have iron sights or have the ability to put some on. It's mostly going to be a fun gun, but reliability is obviously a factor in case it needs to be more.

What do you guys like?

Last edited:
2 sides of the coin
Brother and I have a Belleni m4 (American flag milled on side of receiver 2002 +/-, fuck the Muslims)
Rail and really nice shooting
Brother also has a Saiga 12.
Built like crap
Recoils like crap
Magazines which is cool for shooting targets but a pain in the ass if hunting

All things equal the saiga shoots faster than the benelli.

Hunting pheasant with benelli m4 and his saiga

Saiga got jammed, I pulled out my leatherman, pulled the dust bolt/cover out of the action (spot weld broke off)...that was 6 years ago.

Never missed a beat.

I shoot a benelli pump, which is slower and different balance but it’s cool to cycle.

Friend had a browning black eagle (I forget their name but close to that), softest shooting shotgun I ever used.

Hence my slower comment.....
You really have to practice the push pull, and pre load if you want to cycle fast.
Most of the time they jerk it off their should after the first shot and short stroke it, especially with gloves or a few layers.

Beretta 1301. You will have to buy some aftermarket stuffs to mount a light but it has a receiver mounted rail for optics. I bought one from Arms Unlimited for a steal awhile back.

Reactions: Davo308
Plus the 1301 will shoot low base shells. Heard of another more expensive semi shotgun that has issues with that. Granted that’s from YouTube reviewers. Some mileage may vary.

Reactions: Fishin6061
For defense, I like short ones. IF you can't go short , and don't want to stroke, go 18" Benelli M4.

Top to bottom:
7.5" Remington 870
Mossberg 590 A1 14" Speedfeed stock, ghost sights heavy wall barrel, Falcon tri-rail, SureFire Scout light, Vang Comp safety
Benelli M4 Entry 14" Surefire rails red dot collapsible stock, Asgard forward shell holder
Wilson Combat Rem 870 14" Vang Comp ported barrel, & extended forcing cone, magazine follower and oversized safety, Trijicon RMR, police steel trigger group, Volquartsen extractor, SureFire tri-rail, Asgard forward shell holder
IMG_4571 copy.JPG
IMG_4573 copy.JPG

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 7.06.40 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: geek65 and Basher
I just finished a shotgun class earlier this week with my Benelli M4. I did another class with it 3 months ago. I have always used pump guns in the past (rem 870). The only issue with my M4 is you need to run full power shot loads. (Federal reduced power LE slugs also work 100%) I don't have an issue having to use full power loads as this is a Defensive/Tactical weapon and I would keep full power loads on hand for use in that capacity. I have had 0 reliability issues with full power loads. I really like the ergonomics of the M4. I have a Mesa Tactical Urbino stock. The M4 seam extremely will built. Just my 2 cents.

For defense, I like short ones. IF you can't go short , and don't want to stroke, go 18" Benelli M4.

Top to bottom:
7.5" Remington 870
Mossberg 590 A1 14" Speedfeed stock, ghost sights heavy wall barrel, Falcon tri-rail, SureFire Scout light, Vang Comp safety
Benelli M4 Entry 14" Surefire rails red dot collapsible stock, Asgard forward shell holder
Wilson Combat Rem 870 14" Vang Comp ported barrel, & extended forcing cone, magazine follower and oversized safety, Trijicon RMR, police steel trigger group, Volquartsen extractor, SureFire tri-rail, Asgard forward shell holder
View attachment 7104806View attachment 7104807
View attachment 7104809
Dude those are fucking sick.

Reactions: DIBBS
Another vote for Beretta 1301.

I've had two of the competition models and they keep running and running and running.

Reactions: Davo308
Another vote for Beretta 1301.

I've had two of the competition models and they keep running and running and running.
Mine just turned over 11,000 rounds, started doing some weird stuff. I changed out all the important springs and its back to running 100%.

IF you like a pump the 18" FN Herstal Police Shotgun is a bargain, a clone of Winchester 1200 / 1300 series, with a rotating bolt (benelli Montefeltro like) it will actually eject the fired cartridge if you take your hand off the forend. It's a very fast action. I changed the factory front sight for a HiViz style. The only reliability negative is that the cartridge elevator has a hump that should be removed, otherwise it is possible to short stroke and lock up the action with two cartridges one over the other requiring removal of the barrel and magazine spring to clear the malfunction. Remington 870's used have this problem until they converted the cartridge elevator to the Flex-tab style that will allow one to power stroke the malfunction clear. Mossberg's are free of this concern as their elevator is in the up position with an open bottom to the breech.

IMG_7252 copy.JPG
Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 8.17.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 8.17.38 PM.png

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'd prefer to pick up a semi auto. I've got a Mossy 500 Tri Rail that I'll be keeping to fill the combat pump slot in the safe.

Why stay away from the Mossberg ?
Because competitors figured out that the 930 falls apart after 3k rounds and needs seasonal full overhauls and constant cleaning to keep running 90% of the time. And thats if they work out of the box. Even if you don't ever put 1k rounds on it thats not a track record I would ever get on board with.

1301. Gas operated perfection. (I've seen them go all summer 5k+rounds and never have a failure to feed or function with no cleaning at all). No issues from birdshot to slugs.

Benelli if you want to beat yourself up with inertia operation.

There are no other choices.

if its a semi auto 12ga, the best is Benelli M4 tactical.

What could be more fun than the Achisson Assault Shotgun (AA12).......

You could do a lot worse than a Stoeger M3K. Basically a Benelli M-2 clone made by a company owned by...Beretta/Benelli. A crap load of gun for not a whole lot of coin.

Reactions: HogsLife
You could do a lot worse than a Stoeger M3K. Basically a Benelli M-2 clone made by a company owned by...Beretta/Benelli. A crap load of gun for not a whole lot of coin.

Purchased a Stoeger Condor Youth O/U .410!for my daughter. Was really impressed with the quality of the shotgun at the $400 price point. Obviously not what the OP is looking for, Just stating the quality and price point of the Stoeger is pretty hard to beat.

M4 Super 90. That is, if I was to get one. The one in the picture above with the collapsible stock and all the rail-estate looks really nice.

I don't think of shotguns as much of a weapon as a tool though, so the only one I have currently is a Mossberg "Shockwave" that I built before they offered that model using a birdshead grip, 14" bbl. and "Breacher" donor gun. That breacher barrel would have been nice in the army though where that's all we carried it for. We just had the PGO "Cruiser" models though. Anyway, for my use that Shockwave model is all I really need. It'll open doors and blow big holes in shit and at across the room distances it's still a pretty nasty weapon.

Oh, and Mossberg is a "go" with respect to pumps primarily because of the dual extractors and reliability. They just work.

But at the end of the day, it's

Reactions: Hound Dog
I like my Saiga 20 with folding stock, forward trigger and pistol grip, rails up front with fore grip. The 15 round mag is a blast. I think the “choke” is appropriately improved so hitting clays at long distance is pretty tough. but it swings so quickly and points rather naturally so that I can break them when they’re first launched rather easily- haha
It’s a fun gun but it’s picky with ammo, it likes long brass exclusively and took some experimenting to find a few good loads to use.

Reactions: garandman
I've been happy with my M3K. Says break in with 100 rounds of Buckshot. I started with Winchester Universal from Walmart (1 1/8 ounce 7 1/2 shot). Runs fine.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I have always liked Benelli shotguns. They are super reliable, dead easy to clean and fit me good enough. Ive had a Supernova and a few M2s, I have also reviewed the Vinchi for a Swedish forum. Would like to try the M4 some day, they are getting more and more popular around here.

I've been happy with my M3K. Says break in with 100 rounds of Buckshot. I started with Winchester Universal from Walmart (1 1/8 ounce 7 1/2 shot). Runs fine.

Yeah, I have a Benelli M2 and an M3K. I'm hard pressed to justify the cost difference (hell, even some of the parts are interchangeable), with the M3K being basically a clone of the M2.

Yeah, I have a Benelli M2 and an M3K. I'm hard pressed to justify the cost difference (hell, even some of the parts are interchangeable), with the M3K being basically a clone of the M2.
I was told as springs wore out or anything broke buy the Benelli replacement.

Reactions: MarinePMI
If you can find them, the old school Beretta 1201 models are amazingly fast shooting.
You just need to run "manly" ammo in them.
Also, keep your thumb out of the breach...

I have a Mossberg 500 for home defense but I have never really given combat outside the home with it a thought.

I have always liked Benelli shotguns. They are super reliable, dead easy to clean and fit me good enough. Ive had a Supernova and a few M2s, I have also reviewed the Vinchi for a Swedish forum. Would like to try the M4 some day, they are getting more and more popular around here.

My supernova decided to start ejecting live rounds out the bottom instead of feeding. This was about 800 rounds of 3 1/2" BB & BBB goose loads. I had that trigger group apart about 50 times getting the detent tuned in so the lifter would drop.
Now it wears a 12 round mag and gets beaten at 3 gun. Don't trust it in the dirt as a field gun anymore.

So pump gun? 870. Can't recommend a Benelli pump after my experience.

However, Benelli semi's run and run. They just kick like a mule next to the Beretta 1301.
Either work, but I know which I prefer to put high base loads through.

Huge fan of the Benelli M4 series. Super Tacticoo, beyond reliable. The only bad part is the sticker price of the gun and any accessories.

Not a ton of rails etc but the 1301 is a pretty good option for semi auto and reliability. Never had an issue with mine yet, over about 5 years of occasional shooting as I tend towards handguns or rifles more often.