• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shotgun people!

Skunk

Amongst the Enemy
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2003
On gun…
Forgive me for polluting the Vintage rifle section with this, but I need some recommendations and all the brains on this website are in this section. So, here goes….

I bought an old Remington 11-48 20ga a couple years back. It’s a nice shotgun other than the fact someone added some kind of adjustable choke and it’s not clocked correctly, the front sighting bead is off center. I also think the barrel might be slightly bent as sighting down it reveals an angle at about the end of the fore stock.

Do any of you guys have a recon there to send the barrel to be straightened (if possible) and to have a more suitable screw-in choke setup added? I’d like for my girls to be able to use this…

Thanks.

Forgive me for polluting the Vintage rifle section with this, but I need some recommendations and all the brains on this website are in this section. So, here goes….

I bought an old Remington 11-48 20ga a couple years back. It’s a nice shotgun other than the fact someone added some kind of adjustable choke and it’s not clocked correctly, the front sighting bead is off center. I also think the barrel might be slightly bent as sighting down it reveals an angle at about the end of the fore stock.

Do any of you guys have a recon there to send the barrel to be straightened (if possible) and to have a more suitable screw-in choke setup added? I’d like for my girls to be able to use this…

Thanks.
As far as barrel straightening....I have seen the fixture at Krieghoff International in Ottsville, PA that they use to slightly bend barrels but I've never seen it done nor know of anybody who has.

As far as outfits who do barrel straightening, a few I found (google fu is strong today) that I know are outfits with good reputations are:

Simmons (famous name in shotguns) - https://simmonsguns.com/services/

Midwest - https://www.midwestgunworks.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/Shotgun Service Price List (Web).pdf

You can also call Briley or Cole Gunsmithing and see if they offer that service but its not separately listed on their sites.

As for getting rid of the Polychoke (we used to call them Dial-a-Duck haha), I would go to Briley. They do wonderful chokes including thin wall for older shotguns whose barrel walls are not thick enough for regular screw chokes (and I have no idea how thick the barrel walls are in an 11-48, but this makes them a one stop shop for either type of choke). I have their thin walls in a couple of SX-1's and I know many who have gotten choke jobs done by Briley.

You should check to see if the 11-48 was adjusted to a particular drop and cast with stock spacers. It also sounds like it has something like a Polychoke or some form of a collet style choke system.

Last edited:
I’m not tracking what you’re saying about the drop/cast.

Will get some pics up soon.

Drop/Cast are terminologies for fitment, particularly with shotguns. You either modify a stock or use spacers/shims in between the stock and receiver in order to adjust the fit to the shooter. Your observation of a potentially bent barrel could simply be a matter of a cast adjustment via shims made for the original owner. If it is adjusted for cast, then it's likely also adjusted for drop. You would unscrew the stock from the receiver and check for drop and cast shims/spacers and remove them to return it to neutral.

You can find more information by searching online for "shotgun fitting." You can also look up Polychoke in google images.

1706401336804.png

1706401101980.png

1706401117922.png

1706401129977.png

1706401643204.png

Last edited:
Drop/Cast are terminologies for fitment, particularly with shotguns. You either modify a stock or use spacers/shims in between the stock and receiver in order to adjust the fit to the shooter. Your observation of a potentially bent barrel could simply be a matter of a cast adjustment via shims made for the original owner. If it is adjusted for cast, then it's likely also adjusted for drop. You would unscrew the stock from the receiver and check for drop and cast shims/spacers and remove them to return it to neutral.

You can find more information by searching online for "shotgun fitting." You can also look up Polychoke in google images.

View attachment 8334320

View attachment 8334317
View attachment 8334318
View attachment 8334319
View attachment 8334327
My understanding is that the OP is seeing a bend in the barrel half way to the muzzle and not a misalignment of the entire action/barrel with the center line of the stock as would be the case with cast.

Cheers

Reactions: RTH1800
My understanding is that the OP is seeing a bend in the barrel half way to the muzzle and not a misalignment of the entire action/barrel with the center line of the stock as would be the case with cast.

Cheers
Who knows, without pics, we're all just guessing at it. Checking for shims/spacers is the easiest thing he can do as a first check/troubleshoot. Warped wood handguard being another that could give an optical illusion.

Reactions: ZG47A
Who knows, without pics, we're all just guessing at it. Checking for shims/spacers is the easiest thing he can do as a first check/troubleshoot. Warped wood handguard being another that could give an optical illusion.
Ah, I'm not guessing anything, my friend

think the barrel might be slightly bent as sighting down it reveals an angle at about the end of the fore stock.

Check with Bob Day at Americhoke, he does great work with screw in chokes., I don't know if he does barrel straightening.
He probably could recommend someone.

I bent a Winchester model 1200 barrel once, it was hopelessly off line. A couple of gentle tweaks in the fork of a tree and all good to go.
You point, nor aim shotguns, so hitting where you are looking is all important. Have you patterned it yet? Bent or not, if it is on the mark then leave it alone and shoot the damn thing

Had an 11-48 in 16 gauge for a while. Personally I'd keep an eye open for a barrel on ebay or any of the auction sites. Probably less than messing with the current one. Any IC or Mod choke would be excellent. I had 4" cut off a 1950s shotgun to add screw in chokes to and the barrel walls were so thin that it was only able to accept cylinder and skeet choke. All that to say I'd look for an older replacement barrel.