• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shotgun recommendation

AbitNutz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
I have a Benelli M4 and to me, it's about the best shotgun there is. However, due to my narrowly focussed past, it's the only type of a shotgun I'm really familiar with.
Here's my list of requirements:
1. 12 gauge 2-3/4 & 3"
2. Semi-automatic
3. Have interchangeable barrels available, from long vented rib to fully rifled.
4. Easily mount a scope or red dot.
5. Availability of accessories, forends, pistol grip stock, etc
6. Have a high magazine capacity (more than 5).

I was told about the Benelli M4. Then I was told it didn't shoot light loads well because it was an inertia gun. Then someone else said that was nonsense but don't buy a Benelli. Buy a Stoeger M3000. It's the same gun for a 1/4 the price. Boy, I've heard that before. I'm not a gun snob. If the Stoeger works I'll look at it. Then someone else said....then the gunshop broke into pandemonium.

While I buy more than a few guns from my local gunshop I think he would rather I had not come in yesterday. People were talking more than buying.

If it has to be a semiauto, find a lightly used beretta 391 sporting with 30" barrel. If not, 686 sporting with 32" barrels. Doesn't fit most of your requirements, but does fit the requirements of a good shotgun.

Benelli owns Stoeger.
Or Stoeger owns Benelli.. ??
I forget which way it goes, but one owns the other and yea, they are near identical.

I know I'll get shit for this, but recently I've become impressed with Tri-Star.
They are made in Turkey, sure, but the damn things just run and run and run.
I used to run a upland bird hunting lodge and we'd put more use on a shotgun in 2 weeks than most people do in a lifetime.
Our loaner guns ?
Tri-Star.

It seems you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Turkish shotgun. There must be something to it. I know the Wall-Mart shotguns that many lament over are Turkish but they're definitely at the bottom of the scale.

Maybe I should try a Stoeger. I heard a weird story when I saw that Stoeger and Benelli were one in the same. The story goes that this Turkish shotgun company was copying Benelli without the benefit of paying for the patent but doing a poor job of it. Instead of suing them, they bought them. They brought into the fold and fixed their issues and let them make a better copy of the Benelli. How true is all of that? Who knows? But it is true that the Stoeger M3000 is part of the Benelli empire.

Reactions: n0glock
Beretta owns Stoeger, Benelli, Tikka, Sako, Burris, Steiner, and a few others.

I heard a story similar to that but I remember it involving Benelli and Beretta. This came from a Burris founders' son.

Reactions: FredBart
I've had a Super X3 and I'm looking to get a FN SLP Competition. As far as I know, it can use SX2/SX3 barrels. Bit limited on aftermarket parts but I don't feel I need very many add-ons for a shotgun. YMMV.

Benelli M4 is a very capable shotgun.

My favorite is the Benelli M2, light, fast very capable with plenty of aftermarket support from Roth, TT, etc etc etc.

I currently have three Benelli's SBE3 in 3 1/2", M2 and Roth Performance based on the M2 using some of their parts.

I have not had a failure to fire, or issue cycling my Benelli's. The Roth came with a lightweight recoil spring just incase I wanted to shoot really light loads but I haven't found anything that has required it.

They all shoot very nicely and I enjoy using them. I think for next year I might pick up a Beretta A400 in 3 1/2" for duck season to try out. I heard that they have a nice recoil impulse.

F3D6E813-7027-4127-981A-7569AA781B14.jpeg
You want a Benelli M2. Mine is 11+1 capacity with the carrier modded to ghost load.

m4 is a gas gun and the m2 is inertia driven.

i like the 1301 because of the light weight, but i don't think it is what you want.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
I have a Benelli M4 and to me, it's about the best shotgun there is. However, due to my narrowly focussed past, it's the only type of a shotgun I'm really familiar with.
Here's my list of requirements:
1. 12 gauge 2-3/4 & 3"
2. Semi-automatic
3. Have interchangeable barrels available, from long vented rib to fully rifled.
4. Easily mount a scope or red dot.
5. Availability of accessories, forends, pistol grip stock, etc
6. Have a high magazine capacity (more than 5).

I was told about the Benelli M4. Then I was told it didn't shoot light loads well because it was an inertia gun. Then someone else said that was nonsense but don't buy a Benelli. Buy a Stoeger M3000. It's the same gun for a 1/4 the price. Boy, I've heard that before. I'm not a gun snob. If the Stoeger works I'll look at it. Then someone else said....then the gunshop broke into pandemonium.

While I buy more than a few guns from my local gunshop I think he would rather I had not come in yesterday. People were talking more than buying.
Lot of info except exactly what you want to use this shotgun for. And no, IMO there def isn't a single shotgun that excels at all roles from actual tactical operations to waterfowl hunting.

Cheers

M4 will shoot anything the 3.5" Benellis are hit and miss on light target loads. A Stoeger while it uses the inertia systema is NOT a Benelli. For a 3" gun hard to beaat the M1 super 90's and M2's. For extra barrels and such the a Benelli is going to cost you out the azz. Seriously sounds like you need at least a couple shotguns. There are really a lot of nice shotguns out there today but I have thousands plus on my M1 and SBE and have changed springs once......only thing ever done to 25+ year old guns that get the shit shot out of them.

this thing

if they are still walking after being hit with this you might as well bend over and give them what they want .

Tri-star triggers are shit. Nearly unusable garbage. The club where my son shoots had tri-star loaners. He had the ‘opportunity’ to shoot one. He said it nearly took 2 fingers to pull.