• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shotgun sling etiquette

Doing my part

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2020
I have recently got myself on a property that I can walk my dogs a reasonable distance in areas where I can shoot shotgun. I have a cheap little 410 which I want to carry around with me but don't have a sling system identified.

I would prefer something which leaves the gun muzzle down and under my right armpit. That way it's hands free while I'm walking, and simple to mount when needed. I'll just be shooting squirrels and rabbits, so I don't want to have to move a lot between spotting and shooting. I was thinking about securing a sling between the butt and the recoil pad, and running a loop around my neck and shoulder.

Not having any experience of hiking with a SG, does anyone have any experience, guidance, or suggestions for how to do this well please?

I walk for many miles carrying them with my hand wrapped around the receiver. Slings just tend to get in the way for what a shotgun does for me.

Reactions: Snipe260
When hunting...mostly quail in GA...we keep the shotguns in our hand with two in the chamber BUT with the breech open as we walk. Its then immediately available to close and shoot when we get on the game and its utterly safe as a break action shotgun cannot be ND'd this way.

And fuck safeties...we never rely on a safety.

Reactions: Modoc
Look up Safari Sling by Boonie Packer…