• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Shots string to the right as barrel warms?

bamawrx

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2010
Alabama
Cold bore shot is zero windage. Each of the next four shots is basically .5 moa further off zero to the right. Once the barrel is warm with 5 shots or so it settles down and the windage stays the same with the new zero needing about 2 moa left.

So as you can imagine the first five shots will be in a perfectly horizontal string if you make no corrections. I am wondering if anyone has experienced this, and if it is correctable.

Thanks

Rifle is Remington 700 police in .308. Scope is Mark 3 leupold. Ammo is 168 grn match.

Re: Shots string to the right as barrel warms?

after shooting and its warm tryslideing a peice of paper or dollar bill down the barrel.dont want the barrel touching the stock.is it bedded?

It is not bedded, and I have not checked the stock clearance with a warm barrel. Good idea. I will check this on sunday.

Tested warm barrel today, and it remains free-floated once warm. It walked right very predicably today as I have been observing. Just curious what might cause this.

Interesting. I'm not super big on throwing money at issues i dont understand, but maybe a good bedding job would fix it. Either way, it would make your rifle perform a bit better.

Can't tell you 100%, but it might be a recoil lug issue from stress on the action. Bedding could possibly help this, also check the torque on your action screws.

madd0c

Recheck all bolts and screws. Base rings action etc.

I have seen stress in barrels perform similarly but usually it takes several more round before walking.

OP give me a call anytime Tuesday after 4:00 pm pst. I would be happy to speak with you about this. If you are in the Southern california area I would be happy to take a look at it for free...

310-275-8797

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mike
Tac Ops</span>

I had a similar problem. My shots walked low right, predictably, but made quals difficult.

The culprit was the EGW 20MOA base. It was tight, but off somewhere, as it heated, it shifted poi.

Put new base on, problem disappeared.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Ops</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> OP give me a call anytime Tuesday after 4:00 pm pst. I would be happy to speak with you about this. If you are in the Southern california area I would be happy to take a look at it for free...

310-275-8797

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mike
Tac Ops</span> </div></div>

OP, Don't pass up on this offer. Mike knows his stuff and he is a class act all the way!

I will check all bolts/screws and report back. I added my geographical location to my info, as a result of Mikes post. Probably a good idea to have that information there so posters can better network. Never know what other shooters are in my area. Its usually just two of us shooting on weekends.

Mike, I will rule out bolts/screws prior to taking up any of your time. Let me know if you have any other "test" that might help rule out any culprits prior to our future conversation.

I was doing some load development for my Browning 30-06 stainless stalker.

Have had rifle since middle school, has consistently walked left and up. It is bone stock.

H4350 53 grains 190 Hornady HPBT moly.

12 rounds group. windy 125 yards, as far as I can shoot at range.

1289230117.jpg

I had already fired 45 arounds and barrel was too hot to touch.

Looks like I am shooting two different groups,

Don't know if this matters but the scope is heavily shimmed. When I purchased the rifle it was sighted in for 100 and was near top of adjustment to get it there. Base does not have slope. Good thing it was screwed up, because if he had shot it at any kind of a range he would never have sold it to me.