• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should a wife hijack her husband's build?

The-Wife

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2013
Question - When is it ok for a wife to hijack her husband's build?

A bit of background. I have been shooting since I was 7. Nothing makes stress melt away like focusing on a target. Unfortunately I have a spinal injury that limits the amount of recoil my body can absorb. Thus I tend to lean toward smaller calibers. My husband tries to give me a gun or brass every year for my birthday. Two years ago he built a custom 6.8 on an AR15 platform that has special buffers, etc., to lower recoil so I can shoot all day long. To me, the most romantic thing in the world is knowing that he spent several months researching and building the perfect gun for me. Keep the flowers and jewelry, this girl picks brass over gold every time.

We both love to shoot. Our idea of a perfect date is a day at the range. He would love to shoot 600 to 1000 yds regularly, and ordered a GAP .260 for that purpose. I want to encourage his interest and contacted K&M to sign him up for the PRT Basic Course. Shannon asked if I would join him and when told him about my limitations he suggested a 6mm Creedmor to allow me to join my husband in the course. As much as I love my 6.8, it is not designed for long range shooting. I suspected my husband was planning to build a bolt action for my birthday so I decided to ruin the surprise and ask him to help me order a 6mm so we could shoot long range together.

Now I have to admit ignorance here, I had no idea how much a GAP cost. I put money into a gun account every month, how he spends that money is up to him. A third GAP (he has a .308 too) is not within our budget (just put on a new roof), my husband offered to change his GAP to a 6mm CR instead of the .260 he ordered.

Here is my dilemma, I know how excited he is about the .260. Every time he talks to Ken I get a complete rundown of the conversation (I suspect a man crush) I would hate to take that away from him. He works really hard and doesn't ask for much.

So would it be better to:
a) Take him up on his offer, hijack the build and take the course with him (We could convert to a .260 when I burn the barrel out)
b) Wait a year or two for my own GAP 6mm CR and cheer him on from the sidelines

OK husbands, what would you want your wife to do?

Will you marry me? Just kidding, I am happily married but really admire your approach and wish my wife was a bit more into shooting like you are.

That having been said, I was thinking of other possible solutions for you. I know that K&M rents out GAP rifles to shooters taking the course that do not have their own. Call Shannon and ask if they have one in 6mm. If not, I would imagine that they might have one in .260 or 6.5 that your husband could rent. There may be other options out there too. Keep looking and I believe that the solution will present itself.

BTW, kudos to your husband for even offering to hijack his build for you. THAT's manning up!!

If he is building a 260 then get a barrel setup for his 308 in 6mmCR. For the time being and when you shoot out the 6mm CR barrel maybe the funds for a new build will be there and just but his 308 barrel back on the action.

My first thought was to rent, but we will want to spend a few date nights at the nearest 1000yd range and I won't have a firearm. I agree with you about him 'Manning up' I am a lucky woman!

Bill (my husband) will use his .308 for long range. We did try a brake, still too much for my spine to absorb. :(

Appreciate the input!

What about a match upper in something like 240 Tomahawk? It's an AR15 sized case that has been doing extremely well in High Power and some tactical matches. A guy at the club I belong to developed it and offers uppers.

It can also be chambered in a bolt action easily, it's made from 6.8 SPC brass and it runs 105 Amax's at 2850fps from a 24" upper, mag length for AR15 mags.

I'm getting one for 600yd matches myself, near 6x47 Lapua performance in a small pattern AR is a win in my book.

The 6mm HAGAR is similar in performance and Hornady offers properly headstamped brass for it but the case length causes issues in AR's. If you have a 6.8 bolt action already, then the 6mm HAGAR loaded in a bolt action provides excellent barrel life and performance close to the 6mm Lapua.

I'd love to offer building the rifle for you but until I had an FFL such a cause would be near impossible to make it through the legal logistics. If you did it like an AR15 upper, it's no FFL required and I can provide direct information for the guy who developed the caliber.

I say hijack it. If it would mean you get to shoot with him LR without getting left out or being in pain, I'd say it is well worth it. He can always use the 308 (even though it doesn't have great ballistics).

Or you could steal his .308 and get it rebarreled in 6 Creed and use that while he keeps the .260.

Or rebarrel the 308 and change the 260 to 6creed so you can have rifles in the same cartridge.

I love you. I have never met you or even spoke with you, but I love you.. :)

If my wife expressed even 1/10th the interest that you do for shooting, I
would most certainly let her hijack the next build, merely on principle alone.

Lowlight has correct, the 6creed is perfect for your situation.

Also as mentioned, muzzle brakes can mitigate felt recoil very well, if
you find the correct stock design, rifle weight and brake design that works
for your needs.

Best of luck to you in your quest.

Yep, hijack! I'd much rather have a woman that took that kind of interest in precision shooting than one more rifle... Rifles can be found anywhere, but a good woman, not so much.

Hijack it, the 6CM is awesome.

You can always distract him with womanly wiles if he starts to complain.

^^^

What he said! If feminine wiles don't work, tell him to suck it up and start over with something a little more, heh heh heh, manly.

Panty 6 is a recoil FREAK. She shoots the heavier 308's with their easy recoil, and the light recoil AR, but she ALWAYS goes back to her SKS with it's rigid wood stock and jumpy recoil because she loves it. She prefers 45 over 9mm, but I think when she gets a chance to shoot a certain .357 Mag, that will change too. If a 5'-6" 125 Hapa Wahine can shoot heavy stuff, your ol man shoud be quite able as well. And yes, note that I am comparing a smaller of stature female to your man. This is to insure he has no problem allowing you to take his softer recoiling rifle build for yourself, and yes, she had a little to do with this after reading over my shoulder last night. Her words,"Take it and shoot it, he can suck it up and start over!" She IS quite ruthless!

Most guys would rather have their wives shooting with them rather than watching any day. Any guy will be fine giving up his rifle to his wife, because he's already got another, better one in que. Trust me. Been 'round similar issues with my wife before. We both won, as it were. And truth be told, I'm a bit jealous of some of her gear. She's got some nice stuff.

Last edited:
Should a wife hijack her husband's build?

Call Moon. Order a lightweight 6xc bolt gun with a can. Spec it out the way you want it. Then tell your husband what you did during an expensive dinner in a public place.

Last edited:
Really ?! My wife would have left the post about 'what the pro's use' up on the screen accidentally and then persuaded me that a 6CR is really the future !

Seriously, hijack it. He would want you to, and from what I can see it will let him achieve his goals anyway.

What about a match upper in something like 240 Tomahawk? It's an AR15 sized case that has been doing extremely well in High Power and some tactical matches. A guy at the club I belong to developed it and offers uppers.

It can also be chambered in a bolt action easily, it's made from 6.8 SPC brass and it runs 105 Amax's at 2850fps from a 24" upper, mag length for AR15 mags.

I'm getting one for 600yd matches myself, near 6x47 Lapua performance in a small pattern AR is a win in my book.

The 6mm HAGAR is similar in performance and Hornady offers properly headstamped brass for it but the case length causes issues in AR's. If you have a 6.8 bolt action already, then the 6mm HAGAR loaded in a bolt action provides excellent barrel life and performance close to the 6mm Lapua.

I'd love to offer building the rifle for you but until I had an FFL such a cause would be near impossible to make it through the legal logistics. If you did it like an AR15 upper, it's no FFL required and I can provide direct information for the guy who developed the caliber.

You have your answer here. Choose the solution that is consistent with the use-case of long range and minimal recoil but which allows you to continue practicing on a platform you are already familiar with. This way, your learning curve will be shallower and you'll be challenging your husband to 'loser does the housework for a week' matches in no time.

I applaud your husband's choice of spouse. :)

^^^

What he said! If feminine wiles don't work, tell him to suck it up and start over with something a little more, heh heh heh, manly.

Panty 6 is a recoil FREAK. She shoots the heavier 308's with their easy recoil, and the light recoil AR, but she ALWAYS goes back to her SKS with it's rigid wood stock and jumpy recoil because she loves it. She prefers 45 over 9mm, but I think when she gets a chance to shoot a certain .357 Mag, that will change too. If a 5'-6" 125 Hapa Wahine can shoot heavy stuff, your ol man shoud be quite able as well. And yes, note that I am comparing a smaller of stature female to your man. This is to insure he has no problem allowing you to take his softer recoiling rifle build for yourself, and yes, she had a little to do with this after reading over my shoulder last night. Her words,"Take it and shoot it, he can suck it up and start over!" She IS quite ruthless!

Many years ago when our oldest daughter was about to graduate high school she loved to shoot my M1A or Rem 700 in -06. She was 4' 10" and weighed 95 pounds. She thought the AR-15 was a "Sissy" gun. Oh did I also mention that year she shot my Colt 1911-A1 w/ full power 45 acp loads, and took the 10th spot in the Tennessee State IPSC matches?

My wife keeps taking my .45 ACP pistols. I wish she would help herself to a rifle, as I don't have many pistols to spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I would be more than happy to give up my build for my wife if she wanted to shoot, you can always save for that 260

Wow, I learned a lot about hardware reading your posts. I had to look a few things up to fully understand them, I didn't realize I had so many options.

My husband gets the "Husband of the Year" award! He called from work yesterday, gave me Ken Lin's number and told me to call and switch it to a 6mm CR. I still felt bad about it, but he was very insistent. I called Ken at GAP and the action was not in yet so it was no problem to change it. Ken could not have been more helpful. So the deed is done, the 6mm will be done in time for K&M Precision Basic training course in February. I already paid for the course for both of us. I can't wait!

He is going to have to use his .308 instead of the .260, but said he doesn't mind. Once I burn out the barrel he will get his .260. He will also be rewarded via my 'wiles' and an increase in his firearm allowance.

A few responses to your comments:

Bohem: Can you send me more info on the .240? If the recoil is manageable with my injury it might be good for a future build.

Lowlight & Mark Williams: I only use my wiles for good, not evil. ;-)

Switchblade: Is a .260 unmanly? I don't understand. (BTW he is 6.5, 260 lbs and I am 5'6, 125 lbs)

Graham: Buy her a .45 of her very own!

Erins Wedding.jpg
Picture of the best husband ever!

Sounds like a winner for a husband, and a winner for a wife, and an already great relationship.

Congratulations on the 6cm.

That's great to hear, do you offer lessons to other wives? Mine is very good to me, but she is not a big shooting fan, as good as she is at it.

Here is a link to the 240 Tomahawk. I've shot it only 1 time and it was extremely mild recoil in the AR15, it should be around 2/3 of the recoil that your upcoming 6mm Creedmoor will be.

.240 Tomahawk, Keystone Accuracy Custom Rifles .240 Tomahawk

The-Wife, you should start another thread to encourage other women to be be involved with their husbands interests. "Woman up" so to speak.

My bizarre narcissistic ex wife always looked at any hobbies I had as a threat to our relationship and tried to manipulate me away from anything that she didn't deem important. I know what you're thinking... yes I put her and our children first before my hobbies! Our 3rd year together I sold the only family heirloom guns I owned to support the family when work got slow. I also made other sacrifices throughout the years which of course weren't appreciated. She never could see changing her screwed up attitude. I'd a loved here all the more if she had.
Maybe another woman's point of view would have made a difference???

Thankfully my 2cnd wife of 8 years is the opposite of the ex! I taught her how to shoot and she's one of the top shooters in our club now, even winning a few matches last year. The cool thing is that she's my best friend so I love her and like here at the same time! And yes there is a difference between the two.

Your husband doesn't have to wait till the 308 barrel burns out. All he needs is a barrel vise and action wrench so he can change barrels himself. Then have a new 6cm barrel made for his rifle from GAP with the same 6cm reamer. That way he can switch from the blowsalotinthewind08 to 6cm whenever he wants.

Switchblade: Is a .260 unmanly? I don't understand. (BTW he is 6.5, 260 lbs and I am 5'6, 125 lbs)

View attachment 19484
Picture of the best husband ever!

I was only trying to convey what Panty 6 said without going too far or over the top. I CAN provide more of what she said, but as I said, she IS quite ruthless at her 5' 5" 125# She also has a very warped sense of what recoil means and has not yet had the pleasure of shooting the Benelli with 3" mag slugs

Good to hear you got the build switched, I'm sure you and your husband will be very happy with the decision. I would have gladly done the same for my wife since she started shooting this year and I would do anything to encourage her to keep shooting with me.

I would be thrilled if my wife enjoyed shooting so much that she would hijack one of my builds. I guess it is all a matter of perspective. One man wants advice about whether he should let his wife hijack his build, another man wishes his wife cared about firearms enough to even want to hijack his build. Damned good thing my wife has so many other endearing other qualities that her lack of interest in shooting doesn't bother me all that much. But I sure wouldn't mind it if she suddenly took up such an interest.

I guess having had a rifle blow up in her face is reason enough to not want to shoot any more though. But that is a story for another thread...not this one.

Once he sees the performance of the 6mm, he may decide that's what he wants for himself. I think you made the right call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk