• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should i be using a lyman m die

mioduz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2009
I am loading 6.5 cm. No issue to speak of with my load but in the interest of always learning and bettering myself:

Lapua Virgin brass. I do run through a resize (hornandy die, that I'd like to replace soon) and then trim and chamfer. I then run them though a lyman m die. I find that seat feels wayyy smoother when I do so.

But I don't see alot of people doing so. So I'm wondering if I'm doing it all wrong.

I also don't apply any crimp....wondering if I should be

I would skip the m die. A chamfer should make seating easy and unless you are using a progressive that the bullets don’t sit in the case right and fall out that the m die could help accommodate I don’t see the allure.

What are your neck measurements, virgin, sized, loaded and fired? I’m betting your current die is leaving the neck a bit small, a turning arbor in the necks can help the same way in that you are just opening them up a thousandth or two more.

From the Lyman website: "A "Must-Have" die for the cast bullet or flat-base bullet user." Unlike pistol dies that will normally flare the case mouth slightly, rifle dies do not do this. If you are shooting boat tail bullets in your rifle cartridge the flaring normally isn't needed. As previously mentioned a chamfer of case mouth is more than enough. When your case is removed from your sizing die its' job is to expand the case neck. If your expander ball is slightly undersized or you are sizing with the expander removed then the Lyman M die will expand the neck.

There are many different ways to handle the sizing of your brass. Reading and trial and error is how we learn what works best for us.