• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I be worried?

andydrose72

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2012
Billings, MT
I am the proud owner of a Savage LRP in 260. It shoots consistent 3/4 minute and sometimes down to the half minute range. My concern is though is if the barrel is holding me back. My goal was to shoot it out then replace with a higher quality barrel. I am a fan of leaving copper fouling alone. I clean carbon fouling about every 100 rounds or so. The barrel has 400 rounds down it and I can see the copper fouling in the rifling but it stops about 1/4 inch from the muzzle. All my other rifles you see the fouling running cleanly all the way out of the barrel. Is this holding me back or is it ok? Should I recrown it leave it alone? Any input is appreciated

Being worried depends on what you want, either a clean bore or an accurate rifle, you seem to have the latter, I wouldn't worry but you do whatever you want bro.
Cheers

Clean your freakin barrel!! Why wouldn't you?? If you have the proper tools and teqnique you wont hurt the dam thing. Have you ever looked in a barrel with a bore scope. If you haven't cleaned your rifle in a couple hundred rounds ill bet a weeks pay your throat is full of carbon. Copper doesn't have to be 100 Percent out of the barrel but if you can see it with the naked eye then clean it. 1/2moa isn't good enough in my opinion. Not for me anyway!!

Why clean copper with no accuracy degradation. And I realize many custom guns are capable of better than half moa but in a factory rig with a factory barrel half moa is a pretty lofty goal. I clean carbon fouling and copper waits till accuracy degrades.