• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I bed my rifle.

rdl65

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
TN
I have a Remington SPS Tactical .223 and it has a B&C stock with the aluminum block in it. I was wondering if I bed it, would my groups shrink any.
The barrel is free floating already. I am shooting reloads consisting of 69gr. SMK over 26gr. Varget. The target was shot this morning. All groups are 5 shots @ 100yds from a bench off bipod.
000_0003-1.jpg

Re: Should I bed my rifle.

I liked it real well. Thanks for making it. I am going to print me off some more tonight.

One thing is for sure. Bedding a rifle is always a good idea. Even with the aluminum block in the stock. I have had several of those types of stocks and only one actually fit the rem 700 that was in it. All the rem 700 actions are bent a little and everyone of them is different. good luck!! Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It always helps. I bedded my rifle in boot camp for about a week. We never looked at each other the same way again.</div></div>

nicely done. got a little chuckle over that one!

Try bedding it yourself, it is a fairly simple process and their are plenty of how to threads here to help you.

I would bed it. I don't think you can go wrong with bedding the action. Just take your time and do it right, or have a competent smith do it for you.

I believe I will give it a try myself. I have been reading the threads on bedding a stock.

Just remember if you F it up you can just dremil it out and start over no problem, practice makes perfect. The biggest things are really having a big enough space for the bedding material around the recoil lug, no air bubbles, and plenty of release agent on the barrel, receiver, and bottom metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I make sure all my stocks are properly bedded. I vote yes. </div></div>

Same here.

mine has an aluminum bedding block and im still going to epoxy bed it as well. devcon seems hard to find in under a pound so i am going to try regular JBweld. others have used it with success. it may not be ideal but its that or send it out. its going to take a minimal amount in the HS stock, i think ill be ok