• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I build a custom 308

justin haigis

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2022
New York
I have a tika tx3 tac in 6.5 but want to build my first custom I do reload but like that i can allways find 308 in the stores. Question is it worth it to build a 308 or pick a diff cal
And might build it to hunt and bring to the range

Whatever makes you happy man. .308 is good for some stuff and not good for other stuff.

Reactions: acudaowner
308 will serve you better for hunting inside 500 yards.

6.5 will serve you better in any target shooting environment vs the 308. Better BC bullets, lighter recoil, further distance etc

Decide what you’ll primarily use the gun for. I have a target gun in 260 that may go hunting. But I have 308’s that primarily hunt with little targets shooting

I’ve target shot and hunted with 6.5 and 308 for about 10 years now. Primarily crop damage. Which’s equates to a lot of deer. If your hunting larger game the 308 is a better choice. If your hunting coyotes or similar then 6.5 would be my choice

Reactions: DJL2
Range 500 to 800 and hunting white tail and maybe black bear but have a 300 rum for bear
Personally I feel 308 is a better choice if you’re planning to hunt more than target shoot with it. For the 500-800 yard target shooting the 6.5 will be easier vs the 308 for accuracy and recoil.

The only reasonable answer to this question is yes. .308 also has high barrel life so you’ll get more mileage if you choose something expensive like a proof or bartlein carbon barrel.

Reactions: stanley_white
.308 Win remains a tremendously versatile caliber. Easy to load for, good factory ammo selection, surplus/bulk ammo in a pinch, good barrel life, capable of a wide variety of hunting, good long range trainer... it might not be the best at any one thing, but it's pretty decent at a lot of things.

If you do go the custom route, you would do well to go custom on the barrel twist and chamber specs as well if you know what projectile/projectiles you will be loading for it. A jack of all trades is master of none and depending on what you intend on shooting out of it, a SAAMI chamber may not be optimal.

yes
1667471426718.png

yup

itll make you take your wind call game to the next level. challenging but rewarding!

If you hunt with this rifle then I don't see why you would go away from the 6.5CM. The 308 isn't giving you much of an edge.

Another thought is to build a 223. While not optimal for big game hunting, everything costs less, long barrel life, low recoil, and ammo availability isn't usually an issue. You can load heavy bullets for long range and lighter bullets for varmint hunting.

Reactions: TurdFerguson