• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I build a new rifle?

tton

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2024
Houston
Just started getting into "longer distance" shooting from what I've been used to. Able to shoot out to 450 yards at my current range and just signed up for one that can now go out to 1000 yards. I just really started getting into rifles within the last year and primarily was shooting handguns and pcc's before.

I currently have a 308 rifle i built and am building a 7mm SAUM rifle (short action). I don't hunt, rifles are for target practice, currently up to 1000 yards, and maybe down the road PRS or F class.

I reload my own ammo and came across a lot of reloading brass in a quite a few calibers from an estate sale. One of the reasons I am building the 7mm SAUM.

I have quite a bit of brass in the following calibers:

300 WSM
300 SAUM
270 Win
30-06
220 Swift
22-250
280 Rem
7mm Rem Mag
300 Wby Mag
243 win

Would any of these calibers offer me something different than what I can achieve with the 308 or 7mm saum for my intended use? Would any provide longer distance accuracy or the same at less recoil for down the road? I don't believe so but not intimately familiar with them all so would like to double check.

*Edit: meant to post in the bolt rifle forum, if this can be moved*

I would just invest in some 6mm brass (CM, GT, BRa ) and get a couple of barrels and enjoy!

I wouldn’t build a rifle just because I stumbled across some brass.

But, I’ve always wanted a 220 Swift in a fast twist barrel that could shoot the heavies.

It’d be a barrel burner, but fun while it lasted.

20240411_175102.jpg

So I actually did plan on running the 220 swift and i got a 220 swift as part of the estate purchase, along with a bunch of reloading dies. Single shot, Rem 700, jewel trigger and unsure of the barrel maker. This was what I planned on shooting but one of the relatives of the estate wants to make a trade for it.

I'm going to trade it for a Steyr SSG 69 in 308, a bartlein 1.250" straight 7mm barrel blank, and some hornady 7mm bullets.

I was kinda on the fence about building a 220 swift as the caliber peaked my interest but not sure I want to burn through the barrels and start from scratch on it.

Thinking maybe the 7mm saum will do what I'm looking for as mentioned.

View attachment 8395438

So I actually did plan on running the 220 swift and i got a 220 swift as part of the estate purchase, along with a bunch of reloading dies. Single shot, Rem 700, jewel trigger and unsure of the barrel maker. This was what I planned on shooting but one of the relatives of the estate wants to make a trade for it.

I'm going to trade it for a Steyr SSG 69 in 308, a bartlein 1.250" straight 7mm barrel blank, and some hornady 7mm bullets.

I was kinda on the fence about building a 220 swift as the caliber peaked my interest but not sure I want to burn through the barrels and start from scratch on it.

Thinking maybe the 7mm saum will do what I'm looking for as mentioned.
I have a friend that shoots a 7 SAUM. I watched him put 4 shots inside 12" at just over a mile.
I think it'll be fine at 1k

You can build a 308 in 9 twist shoot 200 gr SMK at 2740 to 2875 fps depending on barrel length, and specialized cases, good for past 1700 yds, at my lower elevations go up, even farther.

But for a mere 1000 yds I'd just load the 308 Win, I shot mine to 1400yds at lot, with Varget and 155 gr Lapua's, with a 26" or longer barrel, same exact load over and over...then repeat.

Today there are a lot of better 308 bullets, compared to the Lapua 155s but even they were easy to hit with at 1000 yds.

Why spend the money on another rifle when a good 308 will get ya there. And gives you shooting time instead of buying and waiting time, with new barrel, gunsmithing, components, dies etc.

There is never a bad excuse to build a new rifle. Its fun to build and then you own another gun... there is no downside. :)
That's true,... I like to build them, as much as shoot them... not from an economical standpoint, but as fun factor. So build every caliber you want to try, and utilize all that brass you find...it helps grow the economy too.

Reactions: Green461
Appreciate the feedback all. May mess around with a 220 swift or 243 down the road if I find any good deals on same parts.

For the 7mm saum I'm working on, I got a good deal on a BAT vr action. I am still in need of a stock. I see a Foundation stock in letted for a BAT TR action. Any idea if this would work with the VR action, they should be the same to my knowledge but the TR has a trigger hanger. Not sure if there are any other nuances or not that I should be aware of. Or should I order a stock specific with a VR inlet.