• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I buy a 6mm Creedmoor barrel.

Polizei45

Student of the Bolt Action Rifle
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2013
Hamburg, NY
I'm trying to decide if I should get a 26 inch 6mm Creedmoor barrel for my AIAT. I have a 20 inch 308 and 24 inich 6.5 Creedmoor barrels. They both shoot 3/4 inch to 1/2 inch groups depending on me . I plan on attending a few PRS matches this year and a school where we will shoot out 1300 yards. From what I have read the 6 mm Creedmoor from Prime or Hornady factory ammo is getting around 3000 fps for the 107 gr. / 108 gr. from a 26 inch barrel. Also I won't be doing any reloading for awhile. Does the extra velocity make that much of a difference ? Your opinions please.

I've scored in the top 5 several times at local PRS matches with .260 and 6.5 Creedmoor. I think the difference between the 6mm's and the 6.5's is small enough you really need to be competing at top levels for it to make a significant placing difference.

Just for fun I got a 6mm Creedmoor barrel for my AT recently. I'm still fine tuning a load but I've had a few groups less than 1/4" and it's fun too shoot.

Reactions: n2stcks
Just pick either a 6 or 6.5 cartridge and stick with it.

6 creed, XC, dasher, BR, BRA, 6x47, 243, 243AI

6.5creed, 260, 6.5x47

All of them can win.

Generally speaking, 6creed = less recoil/less barrel life, 6.5creed = more recoil/more barrel life

Just saw the not reloading part.

I also have an AT.

What’s more important to you, less recoil or more barrel life?

I get 2985-3100 with hornady 108 eldm factory. Just depends on the barrel. Slowest was 2987 and fastest was 3100.

I was thinking about swapping to another 6 like dasher or bra for a bit more barrel life. But saving on one or two barrels a year isn’t gonna impact me much. So I’m just sticking with 6 creed.

I train with .308 for recoil exploitation of having a bad position, .223 for cheaper ammo, and .22 with a vudoo for even cheaper ammo.

Spend the money on ammo and trigger time vs. more “Stuff”
Much better return on investment
I'd second this. Spend that money on more ammo and shoot lots. You won't have to replace the 308 or 6.5 barrel as often and either are plenty good enough for a beginner IMO.

Can’t run a short mag in an AT...

To OP’s question: shoot out your 6.5 then buy a 6 Creedmoor. And if you’re shooting factory Hornady 108 ammo, get a 24” barrel; not a 26”. For some reason, the factory Hornady 108 shoots bug holes in a 24” and barely MOA out of a 26”. I had a 26” prefit shoot the factory 108 ammo like crap, sent it back to the smith to have it cut down to 24” to see if it helped, and it now shoots in the 0.2-0.3s. Go figure...

Can’t run a short mag in an AT...

To OP’s question: shoot out your 6.5 then buy a 6 Creedmoor. And if you’re shooting factory Hornady 108 ammo, get a 24” barrel; not a 26”. For some reason, the factory Hornady 108 shoots bug holes in a 24” and barely MOA out of a 26”. I had a 26” prefit shoot the factory 108 ammo like crap, sent it back to the smith to have it cut down to 24” to see if it helped, and it now shoots in the 0.2-0.3s. Go figure...

Really darn I was looking into it

I like my 6cheatmoor, but its almost become more of a headache then it's worth between trying to find factory ammo and getting reloading supplies. Once its shot out I'll look into a different caliber

I like my 6cheatmoor, but its almost become more of a headache then it's worth between trying to find factory ammo and getting reloading supplies. Once its shot out I'll look into a different caliber

Shoot factory ammo... I’m getting over 3000fps and low SDs with Hornady 108 ELD Match. Can be had for about $1.15-1.25 per round, then after selling brass you’re well under $1 per round and no headache.

I was running the gold medal berger, but all my local shops cant seem to track down more and living in lovely NY i cant mail order any.

6 Creedmoor will give you slightly less drop and wind hold for targets within 800 yards, but the primary reason that people are liking the 6mm cartridges is the reduced recoil. 6CM and 6.5CM will have very similar recoil considering they're both the same case and burn the same amount of powder, and as a result most of the guys running 6mm's are shooting BR-based cartridges like 6BR, 6BRA, 6BRX, and 6Dasher for the reduced recoil and ease of loading (it's hard to find loads that don't shoot in those guns).

I wouldn't sweat it. I shot a 6.5 Creedmoor in a bunch of club matches and national matches and the cartridge wasn't what held me back from winning, considering my placings didn't dramatically change just by switching to 6BR once the Creedmoor barrel burnt out. Your money would be better spent buying a lot of 6.5 Creedmoor ammo and practicing, then just replacing the barrel with one chambered in your preferred cartridge once the barrel is toast since shooter skill is far more important than what you're shooting. The top tactical class shooters were still kicking my butt pretty hard last year.