• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Should I buy a Razor Gen II now, or should I wait to see if Vortex releases a Gen III at SHOT?

richthe1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
Trying to decide if I should invest in a Gen II Razor. If there’s a pretty strong chance of a Gen III coming out next year I’ll keep my Burris XTR II a bit longer and wait for that.

Reactions: Big Bo
Trying to decide if I should invest in a Gen II Razor. If there’s a pretty strong chance of a Gen III coming out next year I’ll keep my Burris XTR II a bit longer and wait for that.
Waiting for scopes that don’t exist yet can be frustrating. While Vortex dropped the price of the Gen II it is no guarantee a Gen III is around the corner. And if a Gen III is announced it will probably be quite a while before they are readily available, if I recall the Gen II took over a year before supply met demand. If you like Burris why not check out the new XTR III 5.5-30x56, supposed to be really good and it’s available now.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
If you wait till the Gen3 comes out, then the Gen2's will be even cheaper. My buying strategy is to always be one generation behind the crowd, picking up cast-offs for half price. I have 3 XTR2's that I paid about $600 a piece for. They are serving just as well as the $1000 ones.

In a few years, there will probably be fire sales on the XTR3's, then I'll upgrade everything.

Do yourself a favor and wait until shot show to see if a gen 3 razor comes out.There is nothing wrong with the gen 2 razor except the weight and if that does not bother you it is a good scope.Chasing the latest and greatest scope is frustrating and expensive.

Reactions: Gharms
Do yourself a favor and wait until shot show to see if a gen 3 razor comes out.There is nothing wrong with the gen 2 razor except the weight and if that does not bother you it is a good scope.Chasing the latest and greatest scope is frustrating and expensive.

Just like IPhones. Newer and better, more apps just means more problems and updates that don't work. Pick a stopping point for a few generations until the current Gen scope really catches up and passes the last few, not just cosmetically.

Reactions: TACC
Chasing a new generation of anything gets expensive. If the Gen II fits your needs buy now and upgrade at a later date.

Reactions: N-C
If you wait till the Gen3 comes out, then the Gen2's will be even cheaper. My buying strategy is to always be one generation behind the crowd, picking up cast-offs for half price. I have 3 XTR2's that I paid about $600 a piece for. They are serving just as well as the $1000 ones.

In a few years, there will probably be fire sales on the XTR3's, then I'll upgrade everything.
That is a wise philosophy to follow, would have saved me a bit of money. The wallet appreciates the rewards of the patient. If you do decide to get a Gen II, watch Liberty Optics Snipers Hide Flash Sales, in fact, he's having a huge one this weekend for Veteran's Day.

You have to add the item to your cart, and if you don't see a price drop from what's listed on the page then something is wrong so call Scott directly and ask, his prices for brand new have been well below $2k.

There is nothing "wrong" with the Gen II, it is a fantastic scope if you don't mind the weight (think comp gun) and with the EBR-7C you get an even better reticle.

My basic take on this is pretty simple. If you need a scope now, get a scope now and go shooting.

If you do not need a scope now and are simply looking for the best deal on something you fell like playing with, wait for SHOT Show and make conclusions based on that.

There are several interesting things coming out at SHOT in terms of optics, but nothing that would want me to stop shooting for two months while I wait for new things.

ILya

I agree if you need something now the shop around and you can get a good deal on a Gen 2. Having said that if you can wait to see what all the manufactures may have for the 2020 line up. I spend most of the 1st day at Shot looking at optics and this year i will be adding a new scope for ELR so I am curious to see what the latest new thing will be.

Wait the 75 days. If they announce a new scope (pssst they are going to either shot or nra) the gen2’s drop again.

Reactions: TACC
I agree I'm looking st Gen 2 rzr also, but waiting until after shot show

Just lighter? What else would people want changed? Seems like it has been a very solid performer for quite a few years.

Just lighter? What else would people want changed? Seems like it has been a very solid performer for quite a few years.

If it was me change only the weight, use the AMG glass and offer a Christmas tree and non tree version of the EBR 2 & 7, done.

If it was me change only the weight, use the AMG glass and offer a Christmas tree and non tree version of the EBR 2 & 7, done.

They used to offer a non Christmas tree reticle the 1C. It didn't sell as well as the 2C and it was dropped. Not as many people want a non christmas tree as you think and especially after using one with it.

I’ll echo some of the other comments and say wait on Shot. It’s so close but maybe the Black Friday deals will be too good to pass up... Then you may end up with two scopes...

They used to offer a non Christmas tree reticle the 1C. It didn't sell as well as the 2C and it was dropped. Not as many people want a non christmas tree as you think and especially after using one with it.
Sucks that they dropped the 2C as the 7C sucks. I have what I need so I guess it doesn’t matter.

Reactions: FishDr
Go ahead and buy a gen 2. They may come out with a gen 3 soon but the gen 2 isn’t going to hinder you in any way.

Fair enough. The other 2 things I mentioned would be nice. Especially if Vortex kept the Gen 2 everything else the same.

I’m gonna pick up a few gen 2s when they release a gen 3. If I can’t kill them with seeing thru a gen 2 then I surely can beat them with it

just get teh gen2... once the gen3 come out and are out for a while maybe they'll replace your gen2 with a gen3 if it were to break

I bought a gen 2 and I don't see any need for anything "better" than that. You can wait forever for the next best thing our you can get what you need and get to shooting it.

Reactions: Healy and Rob01
Can someone define AMG? When I Google it, all I find is glass bong manufacturers. I see that it costs a lot more on a scope, but there is no explanation in the specifications as to what AMG is. If it means American made glass, what's the big deal.

Your google fu is fucked up then.

Last edited:
The Razor AMG is one of Vortex scopes that is made completely in the USA with the small exception of the reticle which is German made as they couldn't find a US company to produce them. They had a company when the scope was brought out but they could not keep up. You can see the scope here.

That clickless zero and stop are one of the best features on the scope. Would never want that changed. For years having to be a little off sucked. Now I don't have to be when zeroing.

That clickless zero and stop are one of the best features on the scope. Would never want that changed. For years having to be a little off sucked. Now I don't have to be when zeroing.
I completely agree. The Gen2 Rzr zero has been the quickest/easiest process of any scope I've owned. I've heard more than a few people that don't like it, but I just can't see where they are coming from.

I hate unscrewing the cap, unscrewing the set screw, and trying to bump it just enough. Also, my AMG wouldn't move the same amount my zero wheel moved.

Clicking up to zero and resetting the cap is the easiest way to set a zero.

Kahles, NF, Viper PST, Bushnell all do it this way, as well as TT without removing the cap. It's the best way. It's the easiest way.

Reactions: stevenc23
Everyone has their likes and dislikes. I don't find it hard at all and as mentioned the outcome is well worth a couple seconds more during zeroing. Never really been under the clock and have to speed zero before. Lol

Everyone has their likes and dislikes. I don't find it hard at all and as mentioned the outcome is well worth a couple seconds more during zeroing. Never really been under the clock and have to speed zero before. Lol
I've had to speed zero before match. That's when I got rid of the AMG.

• Haha
Reactions: beetroot and Rob01
I hate unscrewing the cap, unscrewing the set screw, and trying to bump it just enough. Also, my AMG wouldn't move the same amount my zero wheel moved.

Clicking up to zero and resetting the cap is the easiest way to set a zero.

You think you can't do it this way with an AMG or Gen 2? Huh. Funny. That's exactly how I zero my AMG, in practice.

I do take the caps off, but primarily because I want to verify that everything has moved / not moved as expected. I do this - I dial turrets to zero the gun. I lock the turrets. I loosen the set screws. I unlock the turret, turn it to zero. I lock the turret (you could skip this step if you don't take the cap off - the adjustment wheel may stay in the extended position when you lock the turret with the set screws loosened, so I push it back in before tightening the screws). Tighten the adjustment screws appropriately.

I don't follow Vortex's directions to try to zero the scope by turning the erector directly. It's too fidgety, and too easy to mess up.

The only thing I would wait on is Black Friday... And that's only if you know you want to make a change.

Gen III will have different paint, different font for the markings, and an integrated throw lever. All else will be the same....till Gen IV. That's the game changer to wait for.

From experience, I'd never wait for Shot Show to release something and think that I'd be purchasing it within the next 6 months with most new releases. With all the great options and reticles available right now I don't see why you'd want to wait on something that 'might' be released. We are a Vortex Dealer but I do not have any knowledge of any new items being released or not at this Shot Show.

Gen III will have different paint, different font for the markings, and an integrated throw lever. All else will be the same....till Gen IV. That's the game changer to wait for.

But the Gen V will have a beer tap on the side as well. LOL

Reactions: HeavyAssault
From experience, I'd never wait for Shot Show to release something and think that I'd be purchasing it within the next 6 months with most new releases. With all the great options and reticles available right now I don't see why you'd want to wait on something that 'might' be released. We are a Vortex Dealer but I do not have any knowledge of any new items being released or not at this Shot Show.
That sounds exactly like something someone who knew something new was coming would say ?

:ROFLMAO:

That sounds exactly like something someone who knew something new was coming would say ?

:ROFLMAO:

I'm being honest, if I knew something was actually coming or not than I would not have said anything here.
Since I'm not in the loop for new Vortex releases, I'm talking my experience in general.

I've had a lot of luck with the Gen 2 Razor. I think I'm going to pick up another since the price dropped. Yes, it is heavy, but it is a solid performer. You can also use it for a club, if necessary.

Reactions: CSTactical