• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I Buy used Armalite AR-30 in .308 Win?

RobG6.5

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2022
United states
Greetings all, I found a used Armalite AR-30 in .308 at my local Sportsmans warehouse and I cannot seem to find much info on the .308. They seem to be more common in the magnum calibers. It is pretty dirty. It looks to me like it was shot a couple hundred rounds at a range and then put up on a shelf without being cleaned. I know it is around 10+ years old and costs north of a grand. It does show normal wear on the bolt and just one 1 little scratch on the barrel is all I could find. Inside of barrel is VERY dirty and who knows how long its been since its last cleaning. Do you all think it might be worth picking up or would i be better off with something newer? I'm just going to be shooting from 300 to possibly 1000 yards and I am looking for something in a caliber that is more common and less pricy to shoot than 6.5 creed is at this time. Thanks in advance.
IMG_0505.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG

Is the bolt face rusty?
It’s a good indicator of how it was stored.

Aramalite was nothing to shake a stick at, but for 1k, I bet a used RPR or even stock Tikka/Bergara would be a better investment.

OTOH...NEW GUN!

Reactions: RobG6.5
Aramalite was nothing to shake a stick at, but for 1k, I bet a used RPR or even stock Tikka/Bergara would be a better investment.

OTOH...NEW GUN!
I do already have a Ruger american predator in 6.5 creedmoor that shoots easy sub MOA at 100 even 1/2 MOA with deer ammo. I also thought about just putting that in an Oryx chassis. 6.5 has been impossible to find in my area as of late. thats why ive been looking at 308s

Yeah I think a gamble is a good choice of words. If you want a 308 toy get one that you can truly toy around with. THey last a while but one you can slap a new barrel on (Tikka/RPR, useed Remington) or get replaced easily (Bergara). Play with triggers. I like to have options (just my Opinion) cause I change my mind all the time.

Not a bad gamble, but a gamble nonetheless.

Reactions: RobG6.5